What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Handle with care: Stuart reveals formula for revival

Noise

Coach
We already have backline stars. Another one could hurt future recruiting/retention.

Eels dude may also be referring to Hock as well. An international quality back rower is a pretty good get i reckon, especially seeing we missed out on so many while kearney was here

Springs

First Grade
It could mean that that passion and aggression rubs off on the players at the Storm and the dogs. Passion and aggression - attitude is important in the sport of Rugby League, particularly in terms of defence.

It could also mean Kearney's softly spoken tones to the 'lads' rubbed off on our players hence our soft performances that displayed a lack of passion for the jersey. I did not see much evidence of Kearney's passion during his time here.

Passion and aggression doesn't necessarily mean being an angry merkin like Bellamy. Emotion in the box means nothing.

If Kearney brought the right style, training, tactics and game plans his softly spoken tones wouldn't have meant a thing.

In my opinion Passion is something club has lacked for a while and Sticky will bring that back. Our recruitment has already improved and he's only been here a month.

Well I disagree with the first part. All I had to do was look at Hindy's face in 2011 during our awful run where we lost so many games by a few points to know our captain was one of the most passionate players out there.

If Sticky can bring more passion into the club it will be great but passion does not equal being mean and angry and talking it up in the press.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
if the attitude and passion is there then you are halfway there already.
Sticky has passion, no doubt about it.
You know when some throws the ball past a unmarked winger into touch and we all throw our arms up or throw the remote, well sticky will be kicking a chair or thumping a desk with us. in every team i have seen Sticky coach he shows the same unbridled passion as the fans that have supported that club for a life time.
Thats what i'm buying into and thats why he will be a success, maybe not in 2013 but 2014 and beyond we will be the team other fear to play.
Eel 4 Life! I'm in!

Gotta say, I'm of the same opinion as above, but then again i'm kind of known for blind optimism when it comes to this team...
(or sometimes i just get blind)
Sticky always seems to get the best out of players, and gets them to believe that they can play to the best of their ability.
He's going to have a full preseason with our guys, crack the whip, instill the fear of god into them, bond them together and unleash them on the NRL. If its not a successful 2013 season, it should at least be something we as fans can be proud to get behind.
God i hope so, cos 2012 was the closest i've ever been to disapointed in our club!

The two teams that contested the grand final this year have the angriest merkins as their coach . The team that had one of the true nice guys in rugby league as coach came last.

Yeah, you really can't make an arguement against that! it was the year of the angry man in 2012!

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Eels dude may also be referring to Hock as well. An international quality back rower is a pretty good get i reckon, especially seeing we missed out on so many while kearney was here

We missed out on players because they were in high demand. How many clubs are trying to sign Gareth Hock? Even his own club is willing to let him go early.

It's good that he brings aggression but we've got Darcy Lussick, and he won't be turning 30 next year.

Suitman

Post Whore
We missed out on players because they were in high demand.

Ryan Hinchcliffe was in high demand? :lol:
We even offered him overs (apparantly) and he still wouldn't come.
I suspect that type of non signing to be a thing of the past now though, with our new front office and coaching structure.

Suity

Noise

Coach
We missed out on players because they were in high demand. How many clubs are trying to sign Gareth Hock? Even his own club is willing to let him go early.

It's good that he brings aggression but we've got Darcy Lussick, and he won't be turning 30 next year.

We missed out on established players (namely Williams and Lewis) this year largely due to our coach. That won't happen any more.

Hock will be a good signing

emjaycee

Coach
We missed out on established players (namely Williams and Lewis) this year largely due to our coach.

Seriously??
So do you have a link to the player or his agent stating this as fact or is it just easy to blame Kearney?

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
We were missing out on players due to the whole state of the club. Now, we have new people on board who have the club back on the right track, by all accounts. I wouldn't want to sign with a rabble.

Suitman

Post Whore
Seriously??
So do you have a link to the player or his agent stating this as fact or is it just easy to blame Kearney?

TBH EJC, no one has any evidence at all, but reading between the lines, it was clear we were a basket case going nowhere. Who would have wanted to move here?
Now there has been a change of direction, and when you see the calibre of players we have on board, I reckon we'll be paying unders to get better signings, like Melbourne are now. We just have to start winning. That will be the turning point.
Can Ricky get us doing that?
Who knows? I'm in though. Like I would have been anyway.

Suity

Noise

Coach
Seriously??

I have heard things from a player agent. They are called conversations, not press conferences. You can believe me if you want, i don't care. You talked with Peter Nolan, we didn't expect a link. I'm sure Nolan's job has been made easier now Ricky is here

What player ever wants to come to a club that is going backwards under a coach whose results keep getting worse. Players were openly not happy with Kearney (Shacks Twitter as en example, unfortuately i can't link it for you )players talk and word spreads very quickly in league circles as im sure you would know

Eels Dude

Coach
We already have backline stars. Another one could hurt future recruiting/retention.

While you're probably right, its still good to see that we're at least in serious negotiations with both Hock and Falau under Ricky. We struggled to get any decent player to even consider coming here under Kearney for next year so this is a big step in the right direction.

IFR33K

Coach
Seriously??

If you are after evidence, links or facts, than sorry you shouldn't be on the forums.

Last edited:

eels81236

Bench
TBH EJC, no one has any evidence at all, but reading between the lines, it was clear we were a basket case going nowhere. Who would have wanted to move here?
Now there has been a change of direction, and when you see the calibre of players we have on board, I reckon we'll be paying unders to get better signings, like Melbourne are now. We just have to start winning. That will be the turning point.
Can Ricky get us doing that?
Who knows? I'm in though. Like I would have been anyway.

Suity

That just about sums up Parramatta right about now. Who knows and we just have to start winning.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We missed out on established players (namely Williams and Lewis) this year largely due to our coach. That won't happen any more.

How do you know it wasn't because of money? If we were becoming Storm clones, as the haters like to say, then we wouldn't have been prepared to spend big money on forwards.

Hock will be a good signing

So why don't Wigan want him?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
While you're probably right, its still good to see that we're at least in serious negotiations with both Hock and Falau under Ricky.

Why is it good? You can get any player if you throw enough money at them. That doesn't make them a good signing.

Was it good that we threw $350k at Justin Poore? He was a current Origin prop. That doesn't mean it was a good signing - look how it turned out. We've only just unburdened ourselves from his contract.

We struggled to get any decent player to even consider coming here under Kearney for next year so this is a big step in the right direction.

We got Lussick next year, plus a bunch of quality backs this year plus a high quality back for 2014. You don't have to recruit a horde of new players every year to recruit well. The best clubs in any sport drip feed new players into their squad - it is all too common for too many new players to cause a club to bomb spectacularly. We didn't need that two years in a row.

Springs

First Grade
They don't want him? Current England international and Dream Team member. I'd want him.

Latest posts