What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Other Assorted Crap VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxhead

First Grade
Edwards did say we were stretched, though I find that hard to believe given we just released two players.

This whole thing is ticking me off.

We need the voice of reason to show us the light - Jodeci, I summon thee!

Suitman

Post Whore
Ricky was at the PSEC meeting last night along with Ken Edwards. IIRC Edwards said our cap for this year is full so trying to squeeze Izzy in is difficult and we need to get the right 3rd parties involved.

This is the part I don't get.
I know the Bulldogs offer is pure speculation at this stage, but how on earth could they be in a better position than us, cap wise?

Suity

boxhead

First Grade
I know the Bulldogs offer is pure speculation at this stage, but how on earth could they be in a better position than us, cap wise?

Suity

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Bulldogs did make an offer a while ago, but were turned down as Folau wanted to come here. I still don't believe it is a cap issue, but let's wait and see I guess. I'm pretty sure Stagger and a few others said it would be a rocky road but the deal would fall over the line eventually. We can only hope.

Suitman

Post Whore
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Bulldogs did make an offer a while ago, but were turned down as Folau wanted to come here. I still don't believe it is a cap issue, but let's wait and see I guess. I'm pretty sure Stagger and a few others said it would be a rocky road but the deal would fall over the line eventually. We can only hope.

Then why would Ken Edwards say it is a cap issue?

Suity

Snoochies

First Grade
I read an article a little while ago saying that Izzy signing anything is a family decision and not him alone, as his money goes towards the rest of the family. Maybe they are trying to squeeze more money for themselves to compensate what they lost when he left AFL. Might be some greedy cousins there.

IFR33K

Coach

Suity

I'm really starting to think hoppa is on decent coin for 2012/13 and sandow is on the ridiculous money as stated by the media.

TheRam

Coach

Suity

Don't they use the ANZ Stadium somehow for third party sponsors, that no other team can other then Souths, which gives then that extra advantage in the cap.

I read about it somewhere I'm sure.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'm really starting to think hoppa is on decent coin for 2012/13 and sandow is on the ridiculous money as stated by the media.

Nah mate.

We had the cash ($300k) to throw at Hinchcliffe, and surplus to fill out the squad. Since he knocked us back we pretty well only signed Lussick and Harrison.
If Harrison is on anything > minimum contract, we've stuffed up. And Lussick was reportedly in the high 100s.

Combine the departure of Horo and Esi, and that frees up an absolute minimum of $120k (Manly must pay them at least that). So we should have plenty of "wiggle room" under the cap.

The issue will most likely be that the NRL don't allows "significant variance" in the amount someone gets paid on a year to year basis. So under the above numbers (educated guesses) we'd have around $300kish to give Izzy this season. We might have tried to register him at $300k for year 1, then $600k for years 2 and 3. The NRL might be saying 'nuh-uh' to the variance.
We've probably already allocated our marquee player allowances for next season, possible Tonga (W) is receiving it next year, and so what we NEED to do is convince W Tonga to opt out or something so that we can give that money to Izzy instead. It something like $100k per player, which would then smooth out the deal to 400/ 500/ 600. Which the NRL might be more inclined to approve for us?

So we're waiting for W Tonga to retired, get picked up elsewhere, or for individual sponsors to come forward for either him or Folau so that we can get the cash side of things sorted out 'legally' (as Ricky put it).

That's all hypothesis of course - but it's better than Gronks Leeds/ Wigan swap isn't it!!

boxhead

First Grade
Not sure as to the credibility but a rumour on nospam46 claims that the hold-up is due to; 1. Spagnolo's ties to a sponsor being lined up for Folau (the NRL found nothing), and; 2. The amount of both Folau and Hayne's contracts that will be paid through third-party sponsors. Apparently there is no limit to how much a player can be paid by third-party sponsors, but the NRL are up in arms over just how much the pair will be getting.

Not sure if there is any truth to it, but worth a read anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.