What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Marshall delemma

Joe's Magpies

Juniors
Email from Stephen Humphries regarding Benji going to Rugby Union in Japan.

AN UPDATE FROM WESTS TIGERS CEO STEPHEN HUMPHREYS​
Dear Wests Tigers Members,

As many of you are aware, there have been media reports this morning suggesting Wests Tigers star Benji Marshall may seek a release from his current contract with the Club.

Let me put your minds at rest. This will not be happening.

I have spoken with Benji’s manager, Martin Tauber, this morning who assures me that Benji is totally committed to his contract with Wests Tigers for the next three seasons.

The most important message for you, as a Wests Tigers Member, is that Benji Marshall will remain an integral member of our team and will not be seeking a release from his contract.

Benji is currently with his team-mates at a pre-season training camp on the Central Coast. The boys have been working very hard under the watchful eye of new NRL Coach Mick Potter and Physical Performance Manager Hayden Knowles.

The team has really enjoyed interacting with our supporters on the Central Coast as was evident by the large turnout at The Dam Hotel in Wyong on Monday night.

Let me also take the opportunity to thank the many of you who have already renewed your Membership for 2013.

On behalf of everyone at Wests Tigers, we greatly appreciate your support and I’ll provide you with further updates on the Club on a regular basis.

Yours sincerely,

Stephen Humphreys

Chief Executive Officer

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
From my understanding.

Benji wants to break his contract but not leave Wests Tigers.

The reason why he has to breach his contract is because when he signed the current deal there was a strict "No-Union" policy in it, as it came about at the same time as he wanted to play Japanese Rugby (2009 I think)

blain

Juniors
Benji would be shit at union, it would be all about money. If he says it is otherwise, total crap.

I'm losing respect for Benji, has been crap for the Kiwis for some time, thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread, wants to break contracts to get more money while disrupting his team mates with media, and his book sucks arse.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Benji would be shit at union, it would be all about money. If he says it is otherwise, total crap.

I'm losing respect for Benji, has been crap for the Kiwis for some time, thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread, wants to break contracts to get more money while disrupting his team mates with media, and his book sucks arse.

lol you read his book?

I imagine it would be similar to 50 Shades of Grey, but involving himself and Tim Moltzen

innsaneink

Referee
The top 10 players in NRL All Stars voting:
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Akuila Uate
3. Brett Morris
4. James Tamou
5. Billy Slater
6. Fuifui Moimoi
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Josh Morris
9. Michael Jennings
10. Cooper Cronk

Mader45

Juniors
The top 10 players in NRL All Stars voting:
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Akuila Uate
3. Brett Morris
4. James Tamou
5. Billy Slater
6. Fuifui Moimoi
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Josh Morris
9. Michael Jennings
10. Cooper Cronk

Its a good thing the NZ captain is an autopick in the team

Bulldog Force

Referee
688929-tokyo-tiger-benji-marshall.jpg

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
This article seems to suggest Sironen, Miller and Anasta are all contenders for the #7.

BETWEEN them, Wests Tigers young guns Curtis Sironen, Marika Koroibete and James Tedesco might only boast a collective 10 NRL games.

But as the Concord-based outfit prepares for a new era under new coach Mick Potter, the trio form a huge component of the hopes of Tigers' fans.The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Potter hopes to have all three on deck for the club's season-opener against Newcastle at Hunter Stadium.

But rookie fullback Tedesco, who made a brilliant debut for all of 30 minutes last season before rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament, had a setback a fortnight ago when he underwent an arthroscope to clean up the same knee.

"There's less than 10 games of first grade that they've played and two of the three are coming off major surgery," Potter told The Sunday Telegraph. "So my expectations of them are not that great because a lot of players come back from those injuries and they really need a season to find their feet again. I'll ease them back in for a little bit of the trials.

"Curtis had a full reconstruction on his shoulder and he'll be up to the six month mark right when the trials start.

"I would envisage that he will start by playing 20 minutes, then 40 minutes and just seeing how confident he is and how he plays.

"It might be a bit of a slower road for these guys. The word potential is certainly bandied around a bit. These guys have got potential. How quick they'll reach it is purely dependent on how quick they come back from these injuries.

"I don't want to put pressure on them right now to say they're going to be world beaters but I have watched a fair bit of footage of them prior to their injuries and they look pretty handy."

Local junior Tedesco will again compete to wear the club's No. 1 jumper along with Tim Moltzen, Tim Simona and Sean Meaney. And Sironen could turn out to be one of the NRL's biggest halfbacks of all time, tipping the scales at 95kg and standing 1.95m.

Sironen, Jacob Miller and Braith Anasta are all being considered for the Tigers halfback role next season, with Benji Marshall to revert to his preferred No. 6 jumper full-time. In Fijian flyer Koroibete, the Tigers possess an explosive drawcard who can score tries from anywhere and boasts genuine x-factor.

"I've watched all of Marika's games and he's got that essential ingredient in that position that he plays in and that's speed," Potter said.

"He's still learning his positional play but he has got a good awareness of where to be at the right time.

"He's got something about him that will be exciting for the fans. He knows how to inject himself into the game."
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-at-wests-tigers/story-e6frexnr-1226542433075

DanOz

Juniors
I think thats just the journos opinion - I doubt he has the ear of Potter. Unless it is a Potter quote I dont give it much credence, and even then you never really know how true it is.

BrotherJim05

Bench
What the hell is this about more surgery on Tedesco's knee? I seriously hope we are not riddled with injuries again this year

hardbaby

Coach
Miller will be the half back. Tedesco did have a minor relapse but he'll be sweet. I think The Tigers will start with Moltzen but I have no doubt that Tedesco will be fullback by the end of the season. And that leaves Sironen. Too good a player to leave out. But he won't roll Miller or Marshall in the halves. Back row looks the most likely option. It is a big weakness for the Tigers and he just may be the man to fix that.

gronkathon

First Grade
Moltzen will start the year in State Cup if form lines run as expected through the trials.

He & Sironen are the likely State Cup halves as a direct backup for the NRL halves.

He is quite low on the totem pole in regards to fullback for Potter.

All of this said a breakout performance or two in trials changes all

Latest posts