What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Are there online links to the Report/Review that the ARLC have used to make this decision? Or at least some sort of summary that has more info than the pick'n'choose bits in the articles that have come out in the last day?

Would be interesting to at least get a better perspective where they are coming from with this decision (rather than basing opinions on others opinions/grumblings/hearsay/140-character-whinges).

Particularly on how it compares injuries from shoulder charges to injuries from any other legal tackles (and not just talking about the avg G-Force figure that's been tossed around).

Fire

First Grade
magpie4ever so soft the merkin takes bubble baths and wear shampoo bracelets :lol:

Fire

First Grade
magpie4ever so soft his idea of a first date is paying the broad's phone bill and vacuuming her apartment :lol:

Fire

First Grade
magpie4ever so soft the music he plays in his car causes little love hearts to come out the speakers :lol:

betcats

Referee
If we dont see Sandow go flying after trying to put a shoulder on Inglis then the NRL needs an uppercut.

haha

Juniors
The rest I can handle, but this one hurt.:lol: You bitch.

Bit worried about HaHa, he seems to know alot about a gay commissioner and/or Paul Kent's lover. Suspect.

No, not really. But how else does Paul Kent keep his job.
And AIDS automatically means gay does it?

Thought you were Wayne Pearce, he looks like he's got AIDS.
You still might be him, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

RHCP

Bench
I bet the NRL still use footage of shoulder charges in their 2013 season promo
And their Origin promo videos. Rugby league is so frustrating to be a fan of sometimes. The appeal of rugby league is the collisions and the brutality, it's evidenced every time Origin comes around and half the highlights package is the biffs of yesteryear. Yet we do everything in our power to try and become more politically correct. Rugby league will never be the game mothers want their sons to play. Soccer has that market and forever will.

Shoulder charges are a low percentage play that sometimes look spectacular, but what on earth does banning them accomplish?

Fantastic, another grey area to confuse the fans. He charged with his shoulder but tapped him with his arm on the way down, is that a penalty? He bent at the hips, drilled him in the gut, knocked him down but forget to wrap his arms around, is that a penalty? It's the strip rule version 2 - in fifteen years we will all forget why it was outlawed in the first place and wonder why we didn't think of a better option.

RWB

Bench
I thought the greatest challenge for Rugby League this decade would be to get rid of the wrestle, not give it more incentive. A sad day for Rugby League, I'm still not sure I believe that this is going to happen...

RWB

Bench
And their Origin promo videos. Rugby league is so frustrating to be a fan of sometimes. The appeal of rugby league is the collisions and the brutality, it's evidenced every time Origin comes around and half the highlights package is the biffs of yesteryear. Yet we do everything in our power to try and become more politically correct. Rugby league will never be the game mothers want their sons to play. Soccer has that market and forever will.

Shoulder charges are a low percentage play that sometimes look spectacular, but what on earth does banning them accomplish?

Fantastic, another grey area to confuse the fans. He charged with his shoulder but tapped him with his arm on the way down, is that a penalty? He bent at the hips, drilled him in the gut, knocked him down but forget to wrap his arms around, is that a penalty? It's the strip rule version 2 - in fifteen years we will all forget why it was outlawed in the first place and wonder why we didn't think of a better option.

Forget the highlights package, how great is the first hit up. It'll be a sad day when that first hit up is penalised because someone went in with the shoulder.

macnaz

Staff member
Theres any easy way around all this. Just lead with your head and not your shoulder just like hallway shitter Myles does every other week . It does the same job minus a penalty

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Terrible decision, instead of cleaning up the ruck and the fricken wrestle they ban one of the things that make our game great. RL is not a contact sport it's a collision sport. I bet more people have been injured from Grapples,Crushers and Chicken Wings :roll:

Next stop Sarcasta Ball

20120929004552!Sarcastaball13.png

Bluebags1908

Juniors
What you don't state is the RL player of today is 10 - 20 kilograms heavier then the player from the past.

Noel Kelly - hooker from team of the century weighed around 85 kgs.

Terry Randall - Manly hard man from the 70-80s weighed probably 90-95kgs

They would be lucky to outweigh some of the half-backs these days.

The 10m rule, the 10-12 interchange and bulking up of players has had a dramatic effect on the g-forces of the tackle and a shoulder charge has double the g-forces of a shoulder and arms tackle.

Case closed, either make the changes indicated above or ban the shoulder charge.

A player putting on a shoulder charge might weigh 10-20 kgs heavier these days compared to two decades ago, but so does the recipient of the tackle. It evens itself out.

All they had to do was reduce the interchanges to ensure more fatigued forwards - just like the old days. This in itself would have greatly reduced the force of the collisions.

The point I'm making in my initial post was that the 'excuses' that Dr Merv Cross was coming up with to justify the decision are nonsensical - "look at the health of old retired boxers" - this is Rugby League NOT Boxing! Boxers get hit in the head a million times more often than Rugby League players - it's comparing apples with oranges (and ironically Boxing is not banned!). And the "someone will die" scare tactic - typical medical knee-jerk reaction. No-one has ever died on the field from a shoulder charge in the NSWRL/NRL. That's not to say that a shoulder to the head isn't very dangerous - but this was outlawed under the rules anyway. No-one wants to see a player get hurt but a shoulder charge executed the way it is supposed to hurts nobody. All we needed was a reduced interchange and much tougher suspensions for any player that connects his shoulder to the head of another player. Or even start sending players off.

To take this one step further - do we now ban tackling and play touch football instead because head-high tackles are dangerous too?

Last edited:

bottle

Coach
Poor old magpie4ever, getting pilloried. All for expressing an opposing opinion. Ah well, that's forums I suppose.

Whilst I don't support his view I applaud his efforts to express it against overwhelming odds.
I'd much rather read his sensible and reasoned arguments (wrong that they are ;-)) than the imbecilic rantings of the idiots who want to blame this decision on the victims of head hits. The blame rests squarely on the shoulders of those too lazy to try and effect a proper tackle, or at least get the shoulder charge right.

wittyfan

Referee
Easily the worst decision since Golden Point. Just shocking, really shocking.

Grant must go!!!!