What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA getting a new club hopefully

Perth Red

Post Whore
67641_413802142024787_1083907960_n.jpg

Dragonwest

Juniors
Anyone remember the name of the old Mandurah club from the early 90's? Played in blue, yellow and white?

Goldthorpe

Bench
Enjoyed travelling down as a kid to play Mandurah and the old Rockingham Raiders.
I remember pinging a hamstring back midway through the first half when I was playing Under 15's and we beat them 112-0.

Ah the Rockingham Raiders, what a feral bunch they were back in the day. I could remember the parents trash talking on the sidelines, we'd beat them by 40 or 50 points and they'd still continue to talk crap after the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Where did Sorrento play? Shame they don't still have a club as I would have loved to get involved now I have moved to there. Doesn't seem like an obvious place for a RL club? Anybody got a list of all the clubs that we have had in WA and when they closed down?

Where do you think the next Snr club might start up?

Hopefully the warl can get money from the arlc to really get the grass roots thriving again. Heard that kids need to pay $120 registration fees. There's the first barrier they could remove.

H.H

Juniors
How many clubs are there in WA....and how many teams/players does that translate to?

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Where did Sorrento play? Shame they don't still have a club as I would have loved to get involved now I have moved to there. Doesn't seem like an obvious place for a RL club? Anybody got a list of all the clubs that we have had in WA and when they closed down?

Hopefully the warl can get money from the arlc to really get the grass roots thriving again. Heard that kids need to pay $120 registration fees. There's the first barrier they could remove.

Sorrento played out of Flinders park.

Apparently Southwest are making the move up to first grade in place of Goldfields.

Dragonwest

Juniors

Sorrento played off Lymburner (Hillarys Park) when I was really young and then moved to Flinders park off Broadbeach when the community hall was built. It was 100m walk from the old's house. I might be bias but we definitetly had the best Hamburgers going around :p The whole Junior club use to train at Seacreast Park.

Colours were green and white. Orginally played in the old parra jumpers of the 80's, then the Wigan horizontal stripes before the the 80's Bulldogs style .... fun times.

I can remember playing the following teams that don't exist anymore:

Applecross Jets (Orginally Newtown/followed by Parra colours) ... old man's old club, played seniors with them until they couldn't field a team.

Mosman Cott Tigers (Balmain)

Belmont (Wests)

Rockingham (Canberra)

Canning Bulldogs (Canterbury)

Beechboro/Marangaroo Bulls (Newcastle)

Mandurah

Midland

Central Districts

I'm sure there would be more sadly ....

Goldthorpe

Bench
I posted this some time last year:
Belmont, Brothers, Canning Eastern Districts, Midland and Armadale basically make up Central Districts which turned into Kalamunda Bulldogs.

Armadale merged with Eastern Districts to make up Central Districts at the start of 2007. The agreement was for the side to play in the Bulldogs jerseys at home games and in the Rabbitohs jerseys at away games. That didn't eventuate. That's in the constitution of Central Districts.

As for old teams, I could only think of:
Applecross Jets [Blue and Gold]
Armadale Rabbitohs/Warriors [Red and Green]
Belmont Steelers [Black and Sliver]
Brothers [Black and Green]
Canning Bulldogs [Blue and White]
Kalamunda Bulldogs [Blue and White and Red and Green]*
Eastern Bulldogsz [Blue and White]
Fremantle Roosters [Red, White and Blue]*
Joondalup Giants [Maroon, Yellow and White]*
Goldfields Titans [Blue, Yellow and White]*
Mandurah Monarchs [Blue, White and Yellow]
Marrangaroo Bulls [Blue and Red]
Midland Gators [Blue, Yellow and White]
Mosman Park Cottesloe Tigers [Black and Orange]
North Beach Sea Eagles [Maroon and White]*
Rockingham Raiders/Sharks [Green, White, Blue and Yellow, Blue and Black]*
Sorrento Dolphins [Green and White]
South Perth Lions [Red and White]*
South West Warriors [Grey and Black]*
Willagee Bears [Black and Red]*

*Current WARL clubs

Is the mining industry causing a lot more interest in WA? Or are these guys all busy with shift work and flying home on breaks

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is the mining industry causing a lot more interest in WA? Or are these guys all busy with shift work and flying home on breaks

Bit of both, certainly families coming over from easy coast and NZ for work has seen more kids joining clubs and more interest in the game generally.

aarondoyle

Juniors
I can see how utilising the name "Storm" would help with getting kids in, but it's too bad teams who form in areas which used to exist don't take on the old names. Make it a reforming of the team. Take on their history. See if anyone has any info, old trophies. Anything. A rebirth is inspiring to an area.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Also feels less like a planted team. AFL fans in WA always try and claim rugby league is a foreign game. So a club with a longer history can only help dissuade that a little.

Latest posts