What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Review of 2nd tier comps

Diesel

Referee
http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8105752/Outgoing-NZRL-chief-Doyle-to-remain-in-league

Outgoing NZRL chief Doyle to remain in league

New Zealand Rugby League chief executive Jim Doyle vacates his role tomorrow but will not be lost to the code - the Scottish-born administrator has been chosen to review the Australian Rugby League Commission's second-tier competitions.

The commission's interim chief executive Shame Mattiske confirmed Doyle, who spent three years rebuilding the NZRL, would evaluate the sport's elite player pathways on both sides of the Tasman with a particular emphasis on competitions that take place below the NRL.

Assessing the future of the under-20s Toyota Cup and reserve grade competitions in New South Wales and Queensland will be a priority for Doyle, who will remain based in Auckland.

A statement released by the ARLC said the need for a "whole-of-game" review had been identified within the NRL 2013-17 Game Plan and would assist in guiding investment in the competitions and resourcing for referees, administrators and volunteers.

Mattiske said the review was an opportunity to involve an outstanding administrator in a key area of NRL planning.

"Jim's achievement over the last three years in New Zealand has been simply outstanding.

"He has an incredible business background, a love of rugby league and a proven track record in both grassroots development and high performance management.

"He is a good listener who is able to bring a fresh perspective to a fundamentally important area of the game," Mattiske said.

Doyle begins his role in January and will meld the job with other business opportunities.

"I've got a few things that are not 100 per cent finalised. I'm not taking on one particular thing, there's a few things in sport," he said.

Doyle said he was enthused at the prospect of identifying "strategic investment areas" for the code.

"The key has been about getting alignment between the leagues and the competitions in a way that allows everyone to push in the one direction.

"Rugby league is full of passionate people and great competitions and the object of this review will be to ensure that they are aligned in a way that means each strengthens the other," he said.

no name

Coach
Will be interesting to see what comes of it.
I would like to see a return to a fully fledged reserve grade running parallel to the NRL, even if just to make each fixture a bigger 'event' with the 3 games.
Dunno if they'll be able to afford it but, plus there has been some strong relationships forged with feeder clubs.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Good stuff. Piece by piece the games future is being defined with careful review processes and smart people in involved.

Will be interesting to see what they do. There needs to be some involvement from victoria, WA and the territory even a team from PNG in se one tier should be considered to give PNG players a pathway.

Diesel

Referee
Good stuff. Piece by piece the games future is being defined with careful review processes and smart people in involved.

Will be interesting to see what they do. There needs to be some involvement from victoria, WA and the territory even a team from PNG in se one tier should be considered to give PNG players a pathway.

PNG were looking at entering the Q Cup either 2013/14 and WA has a team in SG Ball. Victoria really needs to get its act together and follow the WARL set up. SA might be a little way off as would Tas, but NT has a history of RL and should have or be looking to a Q Cup team.

100%green

Juniors
I still think it should be something like this:

First game - NYC (either keep them as the under 20's version of the NRL teams or link them to university's since the idea is to get the players studying or working)

Second game - National Reserve Grade (combine NSW and QLD cups, include teams wanting to gain admittance in the NRL eg, Pirates, Bears, Wellington & PNG. Also include a state side from Vic, NT, SA & Tas if possible. This comp would be a conference system that could be split into 2 or 4 different conferences. It would take time, money and patience but long term would be great for the game.

Main Game - NRL

More for tv and radio if the uptake and marketing is there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
All depends on how much the arlc is willing to invest, not cheap to runs proper national 2nd tier comp. not sure running a nsw cup team would benefit us that much given our best talent is progressing from sg ball to Toyota cup of existing NRL teams.

I'd rather see the money go into developing the warl premiership with more teams started up, more jnr development and better club infrastructures.

Last edited:

Smiley

Bench
PNG were looking at entering the Q Cup either 2013/14 and WA has a team in SG Ball. Victoria really needs to get its act together and follow the WARL set up. SA might be a little way off as would Tas, but NT has a history of RL and should have or be looking to a Q Cup team.

How is the WARL set up better than Victoria?

Melbourne have a SG Ball side and for the first time will play Harold Matthews in 2013.

Melbourne are also working towards getting a NSW Cup side, linking up with Albury Thunder.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/134794/thunder-talks-a-positive-step/

elbusto

Coach
How is the WARL set up better than Victoria?

Melbourne have a SG Ball side and for the first time will play Harold Matthews in 2013.

Melbourne are also working towards getting a NSW Cup side, linking up with Albury Thunder.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/134794/thunder-talks-a-positive-step/
WA's structure has been in place longer and is more steady with firmer building blocks behind it.

The VRL is catching up quickly but even two years ago was a fragile comp with forfeits and Clubs coming and going.

Just in the last two years the VRL has hit its straps with the two new Clubs, particularly the North West Wolves who are heavily financially backed and who are engaged with the Albury Thunder.

Proud to report the Wolves first trial game was against the Tasmanian Rugby League and they beat us about 40-28. They looked very good back then in 2010 and have been a great success.

WA Seniors are still much stronger than Vics. The WARL is a much stronger body than the VRL at thsi time but, IMHO, both the VRL and WARL are going to have a golden period over the next ten years. Both have very good administrations and the VRL, of course, has the support of the Storm.

Canard

Immortal
There was no demand for a Reserve Grade comp, the hardcore fans like us would go to watch it but honestly the stadiums were 10% full until 15mins before the end of the 2nd half.

However where possible I think QCup and NSWCup games should be part of the NRL gameday experience.

Smiley

Bench
I can't see clubs like Wynnum, Redcliffe and Easts wanting to lose home games unless they receive a portion of the gate revenue. Would pride move games considering they get crowds of around 2,000?

Diesel

Referee
I didn't know there were moves in the VRL, that's really positive news. The Thunder/Storm partnership looks promising too.

The good thing about this forum is you find out stuff you didn't know

If the ARLC spend millions more a year on a second tier comp (or two or three) instead of bringing in new NRL teams or spending the money on grassroots and international footy I will not be happy. If they just keep the NSW Cup and Qld Cup more or less how they are but integrate them back into the NRL game day like in the past, which seems to be the main thing people want for some reason, then that's fine. But if they spend a mint restructuring the second tier and commit to ongoing funding it will be such a waste of money when there are about 100 better ways to spend it.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I didn't know there were moves in the VRL, that's really positive news. The Thunder/Storm partnership looks promising too.

Yeah ... the Storm's open age side playing out of Lavington sports ground in 2014 should be great
Also I understand Wagga wants to get a bit of that action too , with a push to have a couple of the Thunders home games played there too , as its only an hour up the road & would pull good crowds as well.

elbusto

Coach

The Wolves were formed two years ago an already have over 200 players.
The Eastern Raptors kick off this year and look like they will be a similar sized Club immediately.

Participation in Victoria and WA is increasing at about 10% a year.

Diesel

Referee
That's great that RL can make inroads to an AFL market, 10% increase in playing numbers is very positive before the IC get involved.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
The Wolves were formed two years ago an already have over 200 players.
The Eastern Raptors kick off this year and look like they will be a similar sized Club immediately.

Participation in Victoria and WA is increasing at about 10% a year.

The North West Wolves are apparently entering the NSWRL Budy Cup (3rd tier) next year.