What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cairns

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thinking of going to Cairns for one weekend in February. Any recommendations on what to see or do in that part of the world?

Thanks in advance.

Didgi

Saturday morning: wake up optimistic of a nice day in tropical North Queensland
Saturday midday: As you think of venturing out of your hotel room you quickly re-think on the appearance of a tropical storm
Saturday evening: Decide whether your lifetime support of the Dragons is really worth fighting the hillbillys for decent seating at Barlow Park, as the wind and rain begins to actually hurt.
Sunday morning: Regret whatever you got up to post-game on Saturday night. Watching the Cowboys flog your pretenders (albeit in a trial) will probably send you to the drink.
Sunday afternoon: Board plane just as the clouds part and beautiful weather resumes.

Srsly though, assuming you're coming up for the trial weekend do Tjapukai and Sky rail/train to Kuranda Saturday morning (alternatively croc/barra farm, go karts, golf, etc), game Saturday night, reef Sunday (alternatively beach/esplanade etc if flying out Sunday arvo).

Misanthrope

Staff member
avoid gay sex or sharing needles, cairns has the highest HIV rates in Australia

Really!? I can't say I'm surprised given the amount of loose backpackers that flood the place. It's half orgy every time I visit.

----

As for the topic at hand, Kuranda is well worth a look. We took the skyrail out and the scenic train back and really enjoyed it. Can get a good bite, see a couple of animals or some crafts, and get a break from the comparitively larger crowds in Cairns.

Or, if you've got time between flights, go for a dive on the reef. Beautiful spots nearby.

I'm sure willow isn't into sharing needles

lol.

Really!? I can't say I'm surprised given the amount of loose backpackers that flood the place. It's half orgy every time I visit.

----

As for the topic at hand, Kuranda is well worth a look. We took the skyrail out and the scenic train back and really enjoyed it. Can get a good bite, see a couple of animals or some crafts, and get a break from the comparitively larger crowds in Cairns.

Or, if you've got time between flights, go for a dive on the reef. Beautiful spots nearby.

Yeah, when you mix backpackers with fly in fly out workers who regularly go to HIV endemic areas like PNG who like a bit of side action with the local hookers its a bad mix.

hardbaby

Coach
Cairns is suffering hard from the GFC and things are super cheap. It's also the wet season now so things will be cheaper than ever.

There is a place called Blazing Saddles that does quad biking. And it's serious shit. I have done a lot of quading in my time but these guys tore me a new arsehole. Both my mate and I went face first into trees. Both of use were bleeding pretty hard by the end. The wash outs and verticals were sick. They knocked the auto off and we went full manual. Great track, beautiful scenery and high octane fun. Tell them it has been recommended by mates and explain that you don't want to be part of a Japanese tour group. They will go ballistic.

Obviously the outer reef is good. The best charter company is a group called Silver something. I dive but if you don't have your tickets, just do the snorkelling thing. Beautiful stuff. Great coral. Lots of fish. I saw a marlin last time out. Buy a goPro and film your experience. Wear a stinger suit. Irikanji syndrome is not pleasant. Get hit by one of these pricks and you will be crying for your mamma for 8 hours.

Also the hinterland is stunning. We hired a soft top porsche and just cut sick for a day. Lots of great places to pop into. We also saw some Cassowaries. Threw some lures for Jungle Perch up in the hinterland. Just a fantastic day.

Get completely maggoted and go to the Wool Shed. This has to be the festiest place in Australia. A whole heap of drunk Y Gen tragedies picking up ho's and trying to fight bouncers. A great place to watch white trash start a fight with an unconscious aborigine and then nick his cute girlfriend while he is otherwise engaged. Very funny place.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Tulley river rafting is an awesome day out. Just when your on the bus and they ask for some risk takers, put your hand up no matter how under the weather you feel at the time.

moik

Bench
Thinking of going to Cairns for one weekend in February. Any recommendations on what to see or do in that part of the world?

Thanks in advance.
Coming up for the game Willow?

Hardbaby has it covered. Not too sure about the reference to GFC though. Depends what you're into. A trip to the reef is a must. The reef companies all supply stinger suits, but stingers rarely venture that far out anyway. Plenty of nightlife. We went white water rafting at Tully last weekend. That was a buzz. February is the wet season but you never know that time of year.

We'll catch up for a beer or two, yeah?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks for all the replies.

Yep, going up for the trial game, four of us. We are only there for Saturday and Sunday, so time is a factor. Kuranda Railway and Skyrail might be the go.

Would be beaut to catch up with you moik and Didgi (if you're up there). :thumn

Misanthrope

Staff member
For one long, awkward moment there - I thought that was directed at me. I need more sleep.