What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels launch bid to poach Matt Scott from the North Queensland Cowboys

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...eensland-cowboys/story-fndujljl-1226551428784

News.com.au said:
PARRAMATTA have launched a one-two punch combination to steal Matt Scott from North Queensland.
After narrowly missing out on James Tamou last month, the cashed-up Eels have now turned their focus to his Cowboys and Kangaroos front-row partner.

South Sydney are also in the market for Scott, who has become one of the competition's elite props since making his Origin debut in 2006.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Eels coach Ricky Stuart had a meeting with Scott and his manager, Wayne Beavis, on the Gold Coast over the Christmas break.

The 27-year-old is on track to become a one-club player at the Cowboys, but Tamou's retention will make it tough for North Queensland to keep him from a host of suitors.

Scott will command around $600,000 a season at least what the Cowboys paid to extend team mate Tamou on a three-year deal.

Whether North Queensland are prepared to plough such a large chunk of their salary cap into front rowers remains to be seen, particularly after re-signing boom bookend James Taumalolo last year.

The club also has a host of stars off contract, headed by co-captain Johnathan Thurston, who is certain attract offers of $1 million a year in the wake of interest from Penrith, Canterbury and Newcastle. Matt Bowen, Brent Tate, Dallas Johnson and Glenn Hall are the club's other high-profile free agents.

Jarryd Hayne and Ricky Stuart

431927-jarryd-hayne-and-ricky-stuart.jpg

Parramatta coach Ricky Stuart makes a point to Jarryd Hayne during a training session. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource: The Daily Telegraph

Conversely, Parramatta's only off-contract superstar is fullback Jarryd Hayne. Negotiations to extend Hayne who is also managed by Beavis kicked-off in early December.
Stuart last night said his Gold Coast talks with Beavis was primarily about Hayne, but confirmed an interest in Scott after meeting the Cowboys co-captain face-to-face.

"We were up there for an ongoing discussion about Jarryd Hayne,'' Stuart said. "Matt Scott came along as well. I think any club would be interested in great players like him.''
Having eased their three-quarter dilemma with the signing of Beau Champion on a highly cost-effective deal this week, South Sydney view Scott as a potential replacement for veteran prop Roy Asotasi.

Following a clean-out over the past two years, the Eels are in position to launch a rich bids for game's best talents.

Stuart has identified prop and five eighth as two priority areas, with pivot Ben Roberts needing a huge season to earn a new contract after last year's disappointment.

Cronulla No. 6 Todd Carney is understood to be on Parramatta's radar, along with St George Illawarra and New Zealand Warriors.

glad that leak got plugged :roll:

announcing every single player we are chasing just makes us look like idiots if we don't get them

ffs tell us when we sign someone until then just shut up

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Todd Greenberg always gets his man. His attitude to future signings in the media ? ---> :-#

We seem to fail to sign our targets. Our approach to the media ? --->
16-blabla.gif

You'd have thunk the penny would have dropped by now....

hindy111

Post Whore
I heard we have offerered greg bird 700K a season-Well that was on the news-Ha that would be silly if true

"We were up there for an ongoing discussion about Jarryd Hayne,'' Stuart said. "Matt Scott came along as well. I think any club would be interested in great players like him

Not exactly announcing an intention to sign him.
And the Bird and Carney rumours have been shot down by Edwards.
Some of you blokes need to calm down a bit.
You complain that we're not in the market for certain players....then when you hear that we are you complain that you're hearing about it (even when it's not even true).

strider

Post Whore
All I can say is - thank god we are now "cashed up" and all those backended deals are finally gone ... phew

Ratchy

Juniors
Don't see what people are getting all worked up about...its nothing article other than a player manager doinghis job developing a market for one of this high profile players. The quote from Stuart saids nothing

Ratchy

Juniors
Todd Greenberg always gets his man. His attitude to future signings in the media ? ---> :-#

We seem to fail to sign our targets. Our approach to the media ? --->
16-blabla.gif

You'd have thunk the penny would have dropped by now....

Bullshit the Doggies would've signed Mortimer and Foran if that was the case.

Greenberg is one of the best but he isn't perfect either. If he was the league world would've been stunned about T-Rex signing or the pic of Thurston leaving their complex one night wouldn't have surfaced.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Whether or not we get him, Matt Scott is the best prop forward in the world!!

Good to know we're chasing him (would've been nicer to hear that we had signed him, but whatever!)

hindy111

Post Whore
Well i have faith in mannah lussick and Terepo coming thru.Dont we have some young guy who they rate highly too puali puali or somthing like that?
Scott great player but i wouldnt waste to much on someone who just carts the ball up.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Seeing as we are 'cashed up' I think we should make also make a play for Thurston, C Smith, and Tamou. We should also grab David Beckham while we are at it. I am sure he will come in handy for something...

attamarrap

Juniors
Well i have faith in mannah lussick and Terepo coming thru.Dont we have some young guy who they rate highly too puali puali or somthing like that?
Scott great player but i wouldnt waste to much on someone who just carts the ball up.

Pauli Pauli is a second rower/ lock think feliti Mateo

oldmancraigy

Coach

No doubt you're right.

We don't need the best prop in the world, we have some young blokes who have never even played first grade before.....

:crazy:

Latest posts