What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers in hunt for Feleti Mateo

Fast Eddie

First Grade
sorry but anyone saying elliott will know how to coach him properly is going to bring a laugh.But there must be a first time for everything i guess :lol:

If the Panthers somehow got Mateo Cleary could use his genius tactics of naming him in the starting side and then swapping him to the bench prior to kick off. Always caught the opposition off guard every single week.

natheel

Coach
He's not off. At least not to another NRL club. His Mrs is employed by the Warriors firstly, so that will make it difficult for him to leave. He is personally very keen to stay. The place, if he were to leave, that he has been talking about going to is France. Its a rac e between the Warriors and Les Catalan. If the Warriors have the money (and they do), the odds will be very heavily stacked in their favour.

His mrs was employed at eels to but he still left. It'll come down to money, mates and Sydney. He has said many times he misses parra so penrith would be a good move especially with cleary but if we go for him I think the chance to link up with an origin standard coach will entice him

Elliot won't do shit for him tbh

Iafeta

Referee
Well natheel, I can only go off what was said by his Mrs. Its Auckland or France. Of course anything can and does change if someone throws a bucket of cash at him, the Warriors can match what Parra or Penrith will offer I would suspect. I don't see him going anywhere. In terms of his mates, he has built up a lot of strong friendships in Auckland.

You are right, Elliott does nothing for him. He was of the group that was seriously disgruntled that Iro didn't get the gig. If Iro got it, I would almost say its a no-brainer such was his respect for Iro.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
So in 2014 Panthers team will be...

1. Locke
11. Brown
12. Mateo
13. Taylor

14. Robinson

Who else we have off contract? Sure Cleary isn't trying to snag them too? Surely the rumour mill could try a little harder. 2 + 2 doesn't always equal 5.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I wouldnt worry too much, I'm pretty sure that the Panthers will be "Linked" to ever half decent off contract player over the next 12 months. We have no need for Mateo. Johnson on the other hand!

penrithmob 65

Juniors
We

1. Locke
11. Brown
12. Mateo
13. Taylor

14. Robinson

Who else we have off contract? Sure Cleary isn't trying to snag them too? Surely the rumour mill could try a little harder. 2 + 2 doesn't always equal 5.

We do seem to be recruiting from you guys. We could do with another mascot to help our panther any of yours of contract:lol:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
We

We do seem to be recruiting from you guys. We could do with another mascot to help our panther any of yours of contract:lol:

think you guys picked up Necrom from the Rabbits as well, a former NYC Warrior.

Mateo was always a concern for me. Penrith is close to where Mateo is from so friends and family are close, Cleary helped him to get consistency into his game. Hope Iafeta is right about him being happy in AKL and the missus not wanting to leave.

Recruiting at the moment is a little strange from the Panthers though. They picked up some decent backrowers for this season, adding more when their outside backs are so thin (Lewis Brown come on down) seems odd.

vvvrulz

Coach

1. Locke
11. Brown
12. Mateo
13. Taylor

14. Robinson

This wouldn't surprise me a lot actually, full marks to Bluey for instilling pride in the jersey and commitment to the coach.

DIMEAST

Juniors
He doesn't miss the Eels anymore but he probably still misses his family in Parramatta. He said at the end of last year in an interview that he's happy here and that Auckland's his home now, and when asked about he Eels he said he made the right decision to move here. Pretty convincing but who knows with players these days

blain

Juniors
Money talks. Probably depends on Elliott, if he doesn't think he's critical to the club he might take a better deal. I hope we do our best to keep him, but dont go to silly over his price tag..

Blair

Coach
He looks reasonably safe in Auckland:

"Off contract at the Warriors this year, Mateo will be in strong demand if he is playing well but the 27-year-old said he was happy playing for the Auckland club.

"With his family in Sydney, he would not rule out returning and St George Illawarra are the latest club to be linked to the ball-playing back-rower or five-eighth. ''I love New Zealand, that is my home now, but I am trying to keep all of my options open,'' he said. ''Having said that, I am loving my time at the Warriors and I feel like I have been playing some good footy at the club."

SMH 7/2/2013

Read more: here