What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most memorable eels matches

natheel

Coach
Nothing will typify what moi moi does for the team than that try in the 09 gf! Absolutely awesome

I remember the first ever game I went to, 2002 against you guys...12-all it finished.
Banter before the game, during and after, with my mum being an old Eel (she claims playing netball with Price's sister) it always means a great deal, always love visiting the area. That game reminds me how good draws were in the olden days!

Someone

Bench
VS broncos - 2005 rd26 , 28-14, seals the minor premiership.
2007- 68-22, brilliant end to a good season
2008 - i think 30-28, lockyer chips for kemp to get his 4th and win it on the buzzer.

vs bulldogs - 2005 - 54-4. dogs were a reserve grade side basically, still great to watch.
2007- 34-22, inu scores THAT try on the wing.
2009- prelim. one of the best.
2011- hayne scores twice in first 5/6 minutes, saves a try by holding up david stagg.

Vs raiders- cant think of any..

Vs cowboys - 2005- prelim, 29-0 hurt like hell listening on the radio

Vs dragons - 2005 - 40-14. marsh vs barrett.
2006- 8-1. wtf. hayne bounces a grubber.
2009- 25-12 qualifying final. amazing hayne try.
2012- we get flogged, but say goodbye to hindy and burty.

vs Knights - 2001- grand final. clinical first half from knights
2006- Hayne ruins johns record breaking night. i think hayne scored 4?
2007 - nathan cayless field goal wins it for us, 23-22?

Vs Panthers - 2010 - eels win something like 34-22, hayne scores a pearla.
2011- hindys 300th is ruined by last minute try to jennings, fg in extra time.
2012- eels win in extratime thanks to a sandow fg.

vs Rabbitohs - ??

vs Roosters - ??

Vs manly - 2005 qualifying final, eels win 44-22. ht score is 28-0.
- 2010 comeback from 20-0 down, a couple of suspect passes help us out.

vs Sharks - 2003- 74-4. lol@harrigan vs peachy
- 2010/2011- i cant remember the year exactly, but sharks won 13-10 and it was there first win about 10 games.

vs Storm - 2006 - qualifying final - lost 12-6. hayne spears slater.
- 2007 - semi - lost 26-10
- 2009- round 16, eels win 18-10? to kickstart surge
- 2009 grand final, moi moi try, bs penalty at the end
- 2010 won 24-10, the crowd, hayne vs slater, one of the best memorys as an eels fan.

Vs tigers - 2009- hayne chip kick try plus benji flick. also one of the best eels team tries in recent memory. eels win 26-18.

vs titans - 2009 semi . holding them to 2 points. winning 27-2.

vs warriors - ??

i have probably missed plenty, but thats a few i can think of in recent times.

So many but a old favorites 2005 vs dragons a packed Parra stadium dean widders came of the bench and set up 2 tries straight away. Barrett but a dog shot on oh marsh and a blue started everyone runs in except wade McKinnon who scores a length of the field try.
was that the try when he picked up the ball and just trotted a few metres up the field, stopped, went a bit further and stopped again before going for the try he was waiting to see if the ref stopped play lol

i know it was vs dragons and barrett was playing i still remember how he blew up deluxe at the ref when he awarded the try

Other ones 09 semi vs dogs
2000 semi vs panthers.

Pretty much any game I've been to nothing beats being at the ground.
all the 09 semis were amazing i loved the dragons game gurus intercept try and burt's field goal to seal the win

all anyone talks about is jarryd's try at the end running rings around half the dragons team but the game was over at that point

Last edited:
The opening of ANZ Stadium against the Broncos.

55,000 crowd, everyone expecting us to get lapped. Buettner scored every point for us if I remember correctly? and STU GALBRAITH had a ripper.

I wasn't there but I listened to it on the radio. We were moving house that day and I did very little work, instead camping myself next to radio waiting for them to do crosses to the game.

Beating Great Britain.

Coming from 0-20 down against Newcastle to win 22-20 - a Kenny/GALBRAITH miracle.

Kornstar

Coach
09 vs Panthers at home.

Hayne throws a no look inside pass to Morts (game where we wrapped up a spot in the 8) and then runs to the crowd like a rock star, the place was rocking like a Beatles concert and Hayne was Lennon and McCartney at the same time......

There have been many games mentioned and I agree with them all but this one, I think was the BEST ever atmosphere at Parra Stadium especially from where we had come from some 10 weeks earlier!

That whole run to the GF was something special and only a GF win could top it for me......

Maroubra Eel

Coach
09 vs Panthers at home.

Hayne throws a no look inside pass to Morts (game where we wrapped up a spot in the 8) and then runs to the crowd like a rock star, the place was rocking like a Beatles concert and Hayne was Lennon and McCartney at the same time......

There have been many games mentioned and I agree with them all but this one, I think was the BEST ever atmosphere at Parra Stadium especially from where we had come from some 10 weeks earlier!

That whole run to the GF was something special and only a GF win could top it for me......

Wasn't as good as a Wanderers game though was it. Those guys rock!

EelsFan05

Bench
09 vs Panthers at home.

Behind the GF qualifier against the Dogs this Panthers game comes a very close second.

Kornstar

Coach
Behind the GF qualifier against the Dogs this Panthers game comes a very close second.

Yep, that Bulldogs game was a dream, best revenge ever!

The only let down for me and why I hold the Panthers game higher was that the Hayne incident then the Keating incident and how that would play out during the week on top of the Storm potentially losing 3 GF's in 4 years and the chance of the NRL letting that happen, it kinda had me snap into reality really quick

After the Panthers game there was hope, after the Dogs game there was no hope in my eyes.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Hineyrulz remember my mates horse that won it's first start back in November, Charlie Boy? It's already in to $12 for the Golden Slipper. I've had some on it but it should be longer than that!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I mentioned this another thread about Most memorable moments in NRL, and I cant go past the 2009 Grand Final qualifier against the Dogs.

A crowd of 75,000 it felt like the Sydney Grand Final, the atmosphere was great. Ive been to previous preliminary finals, but this was probably the first one where we were underdogs and a loss wouldn't ve been as heart breaking as 98, 99, and 05.

To come away with a victory and a place in the Grand Final was truly amazing.

So good was the night that even Doggies fans accepted the loss and congratulated some of us Eels fans.

As Rabs said in commentary "1998 was a nightmare for Eels fans, but this night would certainly erase those memories" I dont think it erased the memories completely but it was certainly revenge for 1998.

In fact the whole finals series was truly memorable.

The Eric Grothe intercept try against the Dragons was brilliant, just when they thought they had a chance with Soward, Grothe steals the moment. And to rub salt into the wound, Hayne's try where he step around 12 St George players was brilliant and gave a bit of a "sshhhhh" to the crowd.

The Gold Coast game was expected we'd win, but it was still a great night, in front of 27,000 fans. Yeah thats right Manly fans we made the effort to make it that night. The best part of the night was the chant "Bring on the Bulldogs".

How sweet it was.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Hineyrulz remember my mates horse that won it's first start back in November, Charlie Boy? It's already in to $12 for the Golden Slipper. I've had some on it but it should be longer than that!
Yes i do mate, i had a nice little wager on it at 26-1 :)

HevyDevy

Coach
My two standouts:

1) The 1998 Prelim final v North Sydney when we belted them into submission in the second half. Awesome game.

2) The 22-16 win over Canterbury in 1995 when David Woods tore them a new arsehole. One of only three wins all year.