What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front row rotation

parra_jesus

Juniors
Everybody is talking about the back line and halves pairing. What I'm intrested in knowing , is your opions on rs forward rotation. Presumably , mannah and lussick start , with moi moi replacing lussick around the 20 min mark . Do you see Stuart using mannah for long stints ? Also in your opion , will lussick average many minutes. With Matt Ryan most likely also on bench.

We've effectively lost 2 props from our 2012 rotation (Poore and Hindy), and replaced them with Lussick, so we should need one more, but it will be interesting to see if Sticky continues with his usual "17 back rowers" policy.

I assumed Lussick must have a decent motor given that some people were suggesting he start in the second row, but I haven't seen him play enough to say whether thats true or not, but he had no chance of getting decent minutes whilst playing in a well established Manly pack last year.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We have the following props to choose from (in pecking order):

Mannah
Fui
Lussick
Allgood
Tautia
Lassalo
Terepo
Eisenhuth

I think the top four is pretty clear cut, with the both four being a toss up .

Stuart may choose to start with fui/mannah at prop and lussick at lock( does it really matter if a prop plays lock they are all in the middle) to give us some size at the beginning then bring on some more mobile players towards the 20 min mark when the game opens up.

Last edited:

yy_cheng

Coach
Last year showed that Fui performed better starting as it gave us better go forward.

Mannah needs to improve into a Webcke/Petero and start showing more of a physical presence.

Mannah has been robotic takes hitup and tries to get a quick play the ball.

who we have missed is Eric Grothe Jnr.

When he was playing, Fui would have an awesome run after a grothe run. It also occured vice versa with Grothe having a good run after fui.

We coudl get the opposition on the back foot with a good 1, 2.

Haven't had that since he left.

Allgood hasn't been dominating and I hope Tautai can improve as he is my surprise packet. He has a bit of speed and size. If he can improve fitness and handling, he could go well.

He could actually emulate a ffmm.

Lassalo, i feel is toooooo laaaaaaid back and that is hard to change.

phantom eel

First Grade
Used properly, our top four front rowers can more than do the job.

Mannah will be geared up for a big year and has loads more potential than his one Origin selection to date. I expect he'll be a very strong and very good starting prop this season.

With Moimoi we know what we're getting and he can be used for impact, either to get us off to a good start or as impact off the bench when opposition is tiring. I hope Ricky Stuart mixes it up and has Moimoi start some weeks, and come from the bench other weeks, a bit of unpredictability for our opposition.

Allgood always does his job in the rotation, and with another year under his belt will be becoming more seasoned prop. Could start with Mannah, or be a solid option operating off the bench. Again, why not mix it up week to week against different opponents?

I haven't seen much of Lussick, but he'll be a decent enough addition to the prop rotation and hold his place either starting with one of the more heralded guys, or coming off the bench to do his bit.

I'm also happy enough with the depth and having one of Tautai, Lasalo, or Terepo and young Eisenhuth stepping up for the odd game here and there is we have injury or rep duty among our top four props. The key is the culture and motivation in the joint, and if Ricky Stuart can improve on that (shouldn't be hard) the squad will become a good team with the less heralded guys performing beyond our/their expectations.

Let me qualify the coming thoughts by saying I was extremely positive this time last year and we won the spoon.
Our forwards to me are a major problem. We have lost Poore who I believe was coming on really well towards the end of last year. And as well as the loss of Hindy who had an exceptional work rate I cannot see how we can get off the bottom of the ladder. In summary our pack is shite and can't compete against most others. Mannah who I rate (with support) was effectively double teamed last year which nullified his impact. Fui played minimal minutes and we picked up two nuffies who you would call fringe first graders at best (I hope they prove me wrong).
To me the only thing that can get this team away from the spoon is Ricky Stuart and he doesn't take the field.
Sorry for the negative thoughts but I was let down big time last year and I'm not expecting to much from my Mick Cronin season tickets this year. I will cheer the mighties on regardless though.
Go the mighty Eels.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He's useless. He'll be out the door as soon as his contracts up. Hope his lover didn't sign him up for too long.

There's 35 blokes in an NRL squad. You need a few useless ones to make up the numbers cheaply. Daniel Penese's in the squad and he's only played one NRL game.

There were plenty of useless blokes on NRL contracts before Lasalo and there will be plenty more after he's gone.

Even the premiers have their share of nuffies. Look at this bloke: http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/playerprofiledisplay/Storm/Mitch%20Garbutt/5593

He's five months older than Lasalo, played less NRL games and still manages a fulltime contract with the premiers.

Like all backup players (which is most of the blokes at our club), Lasalo is on a short contract. He is signed until the end of this year.

Last edited:

bellyache

Bench
Eels have many fringe first graders who will thrive under Stewart, this will improve the depth and unearth some new talent. 2013 = exciting times for Eels..

Maroubra Eel

Coach
There's 35 blokes in an NRL squad. You need a few useless ones to make up the numbers cheaply. Daniel Penese's in the squad and he's only played one NRL game.

There were plenty of useless blokes on NRL contracts before Lasalo and there will be plenty more after he's gone.

Even the premiers have their share of nuffies. Look at this bloke: http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/playerprofiledisplay/Storm/Mitch%20Garbutt/5593

He's five months older than Lasalo, played less NRL games and still manages a fulltime contract with the premiers.

Like all backup players (which is most of the blokes at our club), Lasalo is on a short contract. He is signed until the end of this year.

Maroubra Eel

Coach

True. I wouldn't mind the nuffies if we had the top line players to balance it out. I understand if you are paying Kangaroos then you wont have the money for the rest of your squad. The problem is we don't have top notch players, the closest weve got is Hayne. We must be overpaying players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Eels have many fringe first graders who will thrive under Stewart, this will improve the depth and unearth some new talent. 2013 = exciting times for Eels..

Plus we have a lot of young and inexperienced players who will be better for having a year's footy under their belts.

Allgood
Blair
Harrison
Kelly
Lussick
Morgan
Mullaney
Ryan
Sio
Smith, N

All at least doubled their NRL experience last year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
True. I wouldn't mind the nuffies if we had the top line players to balance it out. I understand if you are paying Kangaroos then you wont have the money for the rest of your squad. The problem is we don't have top notch players, the closest weve got is Hayne. We must be overpaying players.

We were definitely overpaying players last year. I suspect a few of them are no longer with the club, so we'll see how the young blokes step up this year.

Latest posts