What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: South Africa v Pakistan at Johannesburg Feb 1-5, 2013

Hallatia

Referee
:lol:
South Africa used to perform worst at home and even at present, the South African batting isn't the best at home. But the bowling has this capacity to lift the batting and now with Philander in the side the conditions suit him really well (hence all his early career 5fers) and then there is Steyn who is a freak and Morkel who is absolutely lethal when he can utilise the conditions to suit what he offers. And there is Kallis who is an all round freak

Hallatia

Referee
South Africa 73 for no loss at the tea interval, lead by 277. Just cruising along now and making the runs quickly too, run rate nearly four an over, there has been some good bowling from Pakistan but they haven't been able to mount any pressure and then the run rate got away from them too. South Africa so far on top it's not funny. Day 1 was an excellent contest, Day 2 has been all South Africa. I love Jonty Rhodes, he started talking and I got distracted from my point :lol:

Xfactor1979

Bench
Whats the deal with test match playing nations getting bowled out for low scores?

a couple of ODIs, Australia in Brisbane, West Indies in Perth. However the excuse is being an ODI you have to "play at every ball"

but New Zealand folding meekly in South Africa

and Pakistan bundled out for 49

Surely, its not t20 cricket to blame- thats just rubbish! One would have expected T20 cricket to make scoring easier in cricket with bat technology and Batsmen having the technique to "score off every possible ball"

Meth

Staff member
Whats the deal with test match playing nations getting bowled out for low scores?

a couple of ODIs, Australia in Brisbane, West Indies in Perth. However the excuse is being an ODI you have to "play at every ball"

but New Zealand folding meekly in South Africa

and Pakistan bundled out for 49

Surely, its not t20 cricket to blame- thats just rubbish! One would have expected T20 cricket to make scoring easier in cricket with bat technology and Batsmen having the technique to "score off every possible ball"

Low scores aren't new, but I think T20 will see them happening more and more. Batsmen will lose the ability to doggedly apply themselves to an innings in the same way they have in the past. In New Zealand's case, application is definitely the problem.

I hate T20

Iafeta

Referee
Good stuff. One douche on cricinfo was hamming it up about how Pakistan would never collapse like New Zealand. Famous last words, eat it up punk.

Hallatia

Referee
the first day was really competitive and Pakistan were dudded by hotspot not working properly. Second day Steyn was just on fire, hard for anyone to contend with that. And then South Africa had a lot of momentum and Pakistan had an uphill battle on their hands. This will be pretty hard to come bacl from not only in the game but in the series. However, I do think Pakistan are more than good enough to come back from it. Hopefully they select the giant for the next match

Hallatia

Referee
I personally couldn't be happier with South Africa's day 2 performance. Maybe I was expecting a few more runs from Kallis in his second dig, but it's okay that he didn't get them. Amla has to get century because Steyn inched ahead of him in test 5fers to his test centuries

Steyn has equalled Donald in most test 5fers for South Africa on 20

Iafeta

Referee
Some of the decisions in the South African innings were laughable. AB out leg before, goes up stairs because he thinks he's hit it, no mark, and the decision is overturned as not out. Du Plessis shows a slight mark on the bat for a caught behind, not out. And then Misbah Ul-Haq gets that decision - barely an appeal from behind the wicket, KAllis thinks what the hell, PAkistan are losing all their wickets anyway, so lets go upstairs. A tiny mark is on the bat, and thats out. Yet Du Plessis gets away with it, and a mystery saviour is given for De Villiers.

Steve Davis has always been a fairly poor umpire.

Hallatia

Referee
Waqar thought those inconsistencies might have been a result of the South Africans having stickers on the faces of their bats and the Pakistanis not having them

Xfactor1979

Bench
Batsmen will lose the ability to doggedly apply themselves to an innings in the same way they have in the past.

Yet, Faf Duplessis batted four sessions (with the help of De Villiers and Kallis) to stave off the rampaging Australians at Adelaide Oval

Hallatia

Referee
I don't agree with the timing of the declaration, it was the morning session of day 3, could have at least waited until both guys had their centuries. Pakistan are actually a chance of winning this now, despite everything being against them from the beginning of day 2. But they are consolidating a bit now so all of a sudden, it's game on

snoozer

Bench
I don't agree with the timing of the declaration, it was the morning session of day 3, could have at least waited until both guys had their centuries. Pakistan are actually a chance of winning this now, despite everything being against them from the beginning of day 2. But they are consolidating a bit now so all of a sudden, it's game on

Agree totally.

I don't think the pakis have got a snowflakes chance in hell of getting this total(stranger things have happened though)but it would've been sensible to at least bat late into the 2nd session - give them something ridiculous to chase with over 2 days of play.

Hallatia

Referee
at least the match is more interestingly poised this way. I do like the more aggressive types of declaration, where it is possible the opposition can make the runs in the time but you're backing yourself and your team not to let that happen. It is about time Graeme Smith learnt to use those too. It's just interesting right now whilst the pitch is the best it has been for batting all match, It should get significantly worse tomorrow if Pakistan survive until then. Still 52 overs left in the day and they are currently 3 down (for 78 trail by 402)

BDR

First Grade
Haven't got a chance to watch any play tonight, but I think it's a shame they didn't give Amla a chance to make triple figures

Hutty1986

Immortal
f**k it'd be hilarious if the last couple of days get rained out, just to see Smith's reaction

Latest posts