What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels's Trials, Dates and Locations

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Going through the side...

1. Jake Mullaney (Solid looked like a handy back up last year)
2. Ken Sio (Plenty of promise)
3. Ryan Morgan (with the experience gained last year I think he has really improved)
4. Willie Tonga (On name should be a superstar, could reclaim the form)
5. Cheyse Blair (A potent attacking weapon at times)
6. Luke Kelly (Really looked great guiding the side around last year)
7. Chris Sandow (Had a bad year but he can bounce back)
8. Darcy Lussick (Aggressive and strong)
9. Matt Keating (Underrated the amount of work he gets through will top tackle counts without Hindy)
10. Tim Mannah (Needs to develop a passing game or sidestep but solid)
11. Matt Ryan (Made a huge leap forward last year)
12. Daniel Harrison (I rate him as a future talent)
13. Joseph Paulo (We all saw what he can do to teams if he gets support)
14. Ben Roberts (Meh...But when he attacks at 5/8 with Hayne, he looked good)
15. Fuifui Moimoi (What can you say, he scares tanks)
16. Mitch Allgood (Still developing...could be his year to take the next step)
17. Ken Edwards (Big wraps on this guy)

I think this is a potential top 8 side and if they all have a big year could be top 4 with the guys left out of the trial.

Our 2009 side on paper had a similar look. They weren't superstars.

B smith / Reni adds some experience to pack. Also most of our side is young and they are likely to improve as they get more experience .

Agree with your thoughts - I think one of the positives of our side, is the backline has a lot of natural attacking / scoring ability - this is something you cant really coach into a player. But the other major component of league - defence is definitely something a good coach can fix . I am hopefully rick will fix up our defence big time compared to last year , if this happens anything is possible with a side with Hayne/tonga/sandow/Paulo in it .

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I'm headed out there. Be good to see the boys go round. Hope to see a good step up in defence. That's all I'm interested in really.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
We are due for a big year and there is so much natural talent (albeit young and inexperienced) in this squad. Like I said we may surprise some this year.

IFR33K

Coach
We are due for a big year and there is so much natural talent (albeit young and inexperienced) in this squad. Like I said we may surprise some this year.

If our defence improves from last year, and we keep our top 17 on the park, we will be certainties for the eight.

IFR33K

Coach
I think our mediocre attack put our defence under pressure and didn't tire the opposition, so they were fresher to attack.

That's true too. We never put the defensive line in two minds, making it very easy for the opposition. hopefully with a decent coach, things change.

bartman

Immortal

Well that sounds positive... Stuart claiming this trial line-up is our strongest minus Hayne, Maitua and Ben Smith, and Roberts nowhere near the starting side. It's possible he can make his best contributions from the bench, and as others have said be hooked if it starts to go pear shaped.

I forgot about Reni's suspension - is he due back for Round 1? And how long is Ben Smith's injury expected to keep him out for?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Reni will play round 1 while Ben's injury isnt that serious, we should see him round 1 or at best next week v Penrith

bartman

Immortal
Reni will play round 1 while Ben's injury isnt that serious, we should see him round 1 or at best next week v Penrith
Cheers Stags, feels good to be starting Round 1 at full strength (if everyone gets through this weekend's trial).