What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

undertaker

Coach
I think it might be good for NRL to cut a deal with NZ FTA even though it may cost them some dollars in the short term.

The NZ tv component of the NRL TV rights deal isn't that much. So yeah, I would be happy to take a lesser offer if it meant being on FTA over in NZ, which will be very useful in its fight against Union over there.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
My electronic guide indicates the All Stars game will be broadcast live in Victoria on Nine, and not Gem. This is a departure from last season.

Truth is I've come to really enjoy the high def coverage on Gem so I hope this is an aberration.

flippikat

Bench
The NZ tv component of the NRL TV rights deal isn't that much. So yeah, I would be happy to take a lesser offer if it meant being on FTA over in NZ, which will be very useful in its fight against Union over there.

Still no word on the regular season rights.

I see that Sky Sport have mentioned on their Facebook page that they will screen the All Stars game, Charity Shield and Warriors V Broncos trial this month - but still working to secure the regular season rights.

Gees I hope we get some news soon..

LJC

Juniors
Quote:Best summation I've seen. League more than doubled its money & gave up very little to do it.

Have to say that is very impressive given league games are shorter, have no natural place to put in adds & often have no viewer buzz due to poor crowds.

I concede league has outdone the AFL. It also going forward won't have two unwanted franchises bleeding millions from it.

Those two unwanted franchises are a smoke screen to put over a message that the AFL is going places!

I note that AFL crowds once again went down last season compared to the previous season. The appeal of the Swanettes has declined markedly from their previous training run premiership androtop(flag), so id say their is a bit of a smokescreen going on.

The AFL as a sport,is not much more than a over glorified training run compared to a game of RL.

Last edited:

Starkers

Bench
not defending AFL, but it would be hard to put in 2 new teams in non-traditional areas and not take a hit in crowds. their efforts to mitigate these losses are what makes them worse though, ie rigging the draw for more melbourne blockbusters etc, and a stand-alone sydney derby opener sure helped. what would they have been without them? their high water mark was in 2010 with 38,423 per game including finals. that year was the GF replay, so i can't see them achieving that again for a very long time. last year it was 32,748 representing a drop of 14.7% over 2 years since the GC and GWS.

i think the wanderers might also impact on GWS - but hard to tell at this stage. they're averaging only 11,677 a home game but the perception is much higher. still it is higher than GWS at 10,825.

with the tv deals all in all, what are we looking at for the NRL rights v AFL rights?

AFL TV, digital and radio = $1.253b over 5 years ... is that right?

NRL TV 1.015b, digital 150m (likely more, but undisclosed) = $1.165b ... Kiwi TV and radio yet to come?

only need to cover $88m over 5 years to equal the AFL deal dollar for dollar, with one game less per week, but SOO and INT included, from what I can tell.

the next step for the commish is lifting the off-field sponsorship. to me the holden deal seemed pretty good, so a step in the right direction there.

any thoughts?

Last edited:
Quote:Best summation I've seen. League more than doubled its money & gave up very little to do it.

Have to say that is very impressive given league games are shorter, have no natural place to put in adds & often have no viewer buzz due to poor crowds.

I concede league has outdone the AFL. It also going forward won't have two unwanted franchises bleeding millions from it.

Those two unwanted franchises are a smoke screen to put over a message that the AFL is going places!

I note that AFL crowds once again went down last season compared to the previous season. The appeal of the Swanettes has declined markedly from their previous training run premiership androtop(flag), so id say their is a bit of a smokescreen going on.

The AFL as a sport,is not much more than a over glorified training run compared to a game of RL.

To be fair on the Swannies, the SCG has had a good portion of its seating ripped out as part of the Bradman/Noble stand redevelopment.

Personally I'm sick of the dick measuring between the two sports and their supporters. Each has their own fans, and even some (like myself) who support teams in both codes. But the arguements and justifications being trotted out over which TV rights deal was the best, or which code is going better, is just getting teadious.

Starkers

Bench
nah, keep the ruler out. i for one am enjoying the contest after 15 years of suppression by the media vampire squid.

applesauce

Bench
Tonights All Stars Replay on FoxSports is on FoxSports 1 as opposed to FoxSports 2 like all replays of games have been on in previous seasons.

Could read into this as a shift to FS1 as part of the new rights.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Tonights All Stars Replay on FoxSports is on FoxSports 1 as opposed to FoxSports 2 like all replays of games have been on in previous seasons.

Well the afl have there own channel don't they?

walter3000

Juniors
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread(wouldn't be the best way to introduce myself to the forum), I am an American NRL fan, looking to see if there was an update on a website that was to show replays of the games.
I have been using livenrl.tv for awhile now, but this won't be an option this season, and with the time differences, sometimes replays is my only viable option.

Thanks for any info

Rosetta

Juniors

This is correct, in the preview videos on the Fox Sports website Ben Ikin ends them with "Don't forget you can catch all your rugby league action across the NRL season on Fox Sports 1"

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread(wouldn't be the best way to introduce myself to the forum), I am an American NRL fan, looking to see if there was an update on a website that was to show replays of the games.
I have been using livenrl.tv for awhile now, but this won't be an option this season, and with the time differences, sometimes replays is my only viable option.

Thanks for any info

Welcome walter

I''d guess that NRL.com/Bigpond NRL videos is probably geo-blocked from the U.S, perhaps you could use a VPN to access it.

They usually have the games up within a day or so.

smithie

Juniors
Had a chat to someone from Channel Nine today.

The season opener between Souths and Roosters will NOT be broadcast live into Queensland. It will instead be on a one hour delay.

I cannot believe we have to go through other five years of this shit.

Rosetta

Juniors
Had a chat to someone from Channel Nine today.

The season opener between Souths and Roosters will NOT be broadcast live into Queensland. It will instead be on a one hour delay.

I cannot believe we have to go through other five years of this shit.

Queenslanders need to start complaining to both Nein and the NRL now if that is true, completely unacceptable.

Latest posts