What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Positions up for grabs...

happyG

Juniors
Most positions are probably already locked down, but there are two I personally think are still up for grabs.

1. Centre
I think this is going to be contested between Vidot and Stanley. Personally, Stanley is my preference. OVer the years he has shown signs of being a great player but injury has hampered him. Vidot isn't bad, but I dunno, I'm not that fussed on him?

2. Forward Bench Spot
There are a couple of options here, talk has been Ah Mau will make the 17 and de bellin will not - I rate Ah Mau, but in saying that I rate Debellin as a workhorse and would prefer him in the squad more than someone like Prior.

Thoughts or any other positions people think are up for contention?

mmap dragons

Juniors
Price has been quoted saying a centre and backrow spot are up for grabs.

Personally I'd say the halfback role is is more questionable. I'd give young Drinkwater first crack. He may just surprise a few and may give the team a bit of an X factor.

Last edited:

happyG

Juniors
Price has been quoted saying a centre and backrow spot are up for grabs.
Personally I'd say the halfback role is is more questionsable. I'd give young Drinkwater first crack. He may just surprise a few and may give the team a bit of an X factor.

dont disagree its questionable... however drinkwater wasnt amazing... but would be happy for him to get a crack.

Steelman

Juniors
Strong game from ah mau in the charity shield will c him in the team stockwell also played well should b there. DE belin unfortunately didn't play that well for me he looks like he's dropped to much weight to make an impact at front row so I c him going back to the cutters at this stage.

hardbaby

Coach
It's a long season. There will be injuries, rep selections and players that disappoint. Lots of spots are up for grabs. I think our Cutters will go well this year so by definition, there is competition.

Half back is the main problem. Fien won't cut it. Drinkwater may be too inexperienced, although I'd definitely give him a decent shot at the position. If those options don't work I wouldn't be surprised to see Beale move into five eight, with Soward at half. That would open up a spot for Cummins, with Quinlan a smokey (he can also play in the halves).

Is Merrin really a backrower? Valuable player and all but I think we need him in the prop rotation of Weyman, Hunt, Merrin and one other. Is it Vea, Stockwell, Prior or JDB? I would choose the person most able to dominate the ruck and play very, very hard. There is a lesson to learn from the Charity Shield.

Re centre, there is no way I would have Vidot there. I think it is criminal that we have had trials and not tried him in the backrow. Wasted opportunity from an inexperienced coach. Stanley should be the centre but I want Vidot in the 17. I like a backrow rotation of Creagh, Harrison, Frizell and Vidot. A ball runner, a ball player and two hard motherf**kers.

It's not cut and dried. Nor should it be from a team widely predicted to finish in the bottom 4. Who can muscle up in the forwards? Who can control the ruck? Who can score points in the backs?

Last edited:

Steelman

Juniors
Beale at 5/8 never heard or seen him play in that postion huge mistake maybe a center at best. Do agree halfs will b a major concern for the dragons this year fein andHogkinsin not the answer either they must go with drinkwater and stick by him or go all out and sign classy half sam williams

Minh

First Grade
Gotta give Drinkwater the shot at half, we need to find out the hard way if he is the answer or if we need to go all out and recruit one.

Minh

First Grade
Even if Fien plays pretty well it does nothing for the club in terms of moving forward and building for the future, Fien should play a mentoring role to the younger guys.

Mr Red

First Grade
i would go as far as saying the following are still up for grabs depending on early season form:
1. fullback (Beale is still unproven at fullback... Price may move Beale to centre at some stage)
2. right centre
3. Half
4. back row
5 a few bench spots

trial form so far has cast more doubts about selections rather than helped settle the team.

stg666

Juniors
i think leeson ahmau should get a crack . great leg drive and not afraid to hit it up HARD. drinkwater must get a go . wanted to try things in charity shield and maybe he can start to do good things for us if given the chance and i think merrin will kill it at lock .

Biglance

Bench
Vidot's defence isnt up to playing centre.

Id give Drinkwater first crack at halfback, he is young (takes the line on) and even if he isnt better than fien overall he has one thing fien doesnt have and thats pace. Fien is far too slow.

As far as the forwards go, can we see someone offload a little bit (probably why merrin is at lock). Love to see frizzell and creagh throwing the ball around abit out wide as opposed to our usual play of just smashing it up one out.

Vidot has bulked up amazingly in the off season but I'd be concerned about his workrate playing in the backrow. Unless he's used as a wide running backrower, but we already have a few of those.

Big man

Juniors
Hi guys, if I'm permitted to give my two bobs worth, I would put Vidot back to wing with Nigthingale and move Morris to centre with Cooper or Stanley, i cant see why Brett couldn't replicate what his brother has done at the Dogs, leave Beale at fullback and go with Soward and Drinkwater in the halves. I've watched Drinkwater in the NYC and the kid has the talent, he just needs a little time and a little faith, but he is a goody.

jenninga

First Grade
Vidot has bulked up amazingly in the off season but I'd be concerned about his workrate playing in the backrow. Unless he's used as a wide running backrower, but we already have a few of those.
It's funny we were all talking about Vidot and how big he was 12 months ago.Hopefully he can becoome the x factor we need .

Latest posts