What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne: We can't match most rivals for talent

Gronk

Staff member
The first step when you hit rock bottom is generally considered to be an admission. So, on cue only days out from Parramatta's season-opener against the Warriors, fullback Jarryd Hayne has conceded that the Eels simply do not have the talent that most of the other premiership squads have.
That will not surprise many who watched the Eels last year. The side took out the wooden spoon and subsequently lost two of their veterans, Nathan Hindmarsh and Luke Burt, to retirement. But coming from the star player of the Eels, and once the star player of the competition, the frankness of the statement is still unexpected.
''We don't have the talent of most teams,'' Hayne said on Monday. ''We don't. It's evident. We're a young team, we're definitely inexperienced, but I think that's something we can build on. But we definitely work hard, and we're willing to put in for each other.''
That's something that makes a good team. Any player would rather play with a team that's willing to work hard and to put in than to play with a team full of talent. That's the most exciting part of this season. We'll find out what kind of team we are.''
Advertisement
With coach Ricky Stuart joining the club, it is inevitable that the Eels will work hard. But they are clearly in a rebuilding phase and, for that reason, Hayne seemed genuinely unsure about what kind of squad the Eels, who face the Warriors on Saturday, possessed. What he did believe was that the Eels could do what two of the best sides in recent years, Manly and Melbourne, have done. Perhaps not to win premierships just yet, but to at least build from the ground up.
''We've spoken a lot about culture and new beginnings at Parra,'' Hayne said. ''It's something that we can create and help mould. The good teams like Manly and Melbourne, they were once that inexperienced team. They were once that team which lacked talent, but they worked hard, and now it's paying off, from those hard years.
''There's no shortcuts to it. They just worked hard.''
Hayne, of course, does not lack talent. Much of the Eels' success this season will be guided by how much football he plays, and how well he plays when he does take the field.
Stuart will play him at fullback for now, even though Hayne maintained a move into five-eighth was ''inevitable''. The form of five-eighth Luke Kelly, who joined the Eels from Melbourne last season, will decide how long Hayne remains a No.1.
''I'm going to be a five-eighth eventually,'' Hayne said. ''But I've got a lot of confidence in Luke Kelly. I really rate him as a five-eighth. He's been unfortunate with injuries at the start of his career, but once he gets going, he can be solid for us, and give me an opportunity to play fullback. It's definitely the position I really enjoy.
''But the ball's in Lukey's court. How good Lukey plays will determine how long I'm at fullback for. If he cements his position, it could be longer, which is fine by me. I'm still young. There's still plenty of years left.''
A rare full pre-season might ensure Hayne hits top gear earlier than usual.
''I'm in good shape,'' the Eels co-captain said. ''But with me, it doesn't matter how hard I train. It's always about the game fitness. It's totally different. You do all that pre-season, but you still get into the game and you're blowing.
''The pre-season's been torturous as normal, but I was excited to be able to be available to do every session. But I'm glad it's over. The fun stuff comes now. The hard work's been done.''

Gronk

Staff member
Sounds like Sticky has Hoppa @ 1 & Hayne @ 6 in his sights.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We really are under playing our chances for 2013. Ricky is playing it perfect in the media to ensure we keep our under dog status ( which we do deserve as wooden spooners).

Does anyone really reckon Stuart is not expecting a finals appearance this year ? Ricky hates losing.

The Colonel

Immortal
We really are under playing our chances for 2013. Ricky is playing it perfect in the media to ensure we keep our under dog status ( which we do deserve as wooden spooners).

Does anyone really reckon Stuart is not expecting a finals appearance this year ? Ricky hates losing.

Hates losing but he and Hayne are being realistic about our chances. We have lost a mountain of experience and we have been very quiet reccruiting.

If we get to the finals it will be a massive effort.

EELMAN JACK

Juniors

my sentiments exactly

Tony Bongo

Bench
I'm sure we have talent that is yet to shine. I can't wait to see who stands up to be counted this year and I hope we have at least a couple of those coming through that end up the talk of the NRL this year. In my books that will be a positive we can build on.

yy_cheng

Coach
Finally he admits that he will be a 6.

However, it sounds very Hindy like and he actually used to be in the team of talents side.

Hope this captaincy changes his view on things and makes him a super player

natheel

Coach
I reckon we will see some guys thrive this year and by the end we will posses talent we never thought we had

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Brenton Lawrence 9. Matt Ballin 10. Brent Kite 11. Anthony Watmough 12. Justin Horo 13. Jamie Buhrer.

Manly starting pack for round one.

Is our starting pack really that bad? Are we really that far behind in playing talent ?

Tony Bongo

Bench

Is our starting pack really that bad? Are we really that far behind in playing talent ?

We all know that Fui is one of the best forwards in the game and if Mannah plays like he did the year before last and Lussick and Allgood step up we will be sweet.

EelsFan05

Bench

I can see Horo having a great year and becoming the next Eel that got away. Buhrer is nothing better then a solid utility player, I don't know why he gets the wraps he does. Who is Brenton Lawrene??

Latest posts