What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danish

Referee
From what the media has reported its been negotiated with the club lawyer over the fact it appears any wrong doing was not deliberate from the players.

Of course the media is not exactly trustworthy and isn't above just making shit up.

considering it has been made clear by ASADA time and time again that ignorance is NOT an excuse, I hardly think they would then suddenly decide it IS actually an excuse worthy of a 75% reduction in sentence.

Much more likely they have a flimsy case, but part of this carrot of a smaller 6 month ban would involve them signing various statements to help build a better case against bigger fish (or to at least get SOME sort of ban on the books after the tremendous statements these jackasses made at their national press conference to announce their super secret investigation)

magpie4ever

First Grade
Based on what ?????!!!!!

We're turning this into a guessing game now?

Why do you believe the 'darkest day in sport' mantra ? You don't seem to be able to answer this.

Henry, you are like that general in Iraq (Babylon Bob??) - he was saying to the world media - we are winning this fight while in the background american tanks were storming down the streets. Give it up, players will be suspend for taking performance enhancing drugs and I will guess it will not stop at Cronulla.

Last edited:
Henry, you are like that general in Iraq (Babylon Bob??) - he was saying to the world media - we are winning this fight while in the background america tanks were storming down the streets. Give it up, players will be suspend for taking performance enhancing drugs and I will guess it will not stop at Cronulla.

Have you explained what you base your confidence in asada and the ACC yet magpie?

Still avoiding that one?

And have I ever said players wouldn't be banned? They may well be.

It's just not adding up to the darkest day in Australian sport.

You'd like to live in a world of guilty until proven innocent based on your inane ramblings.

bartman

Immortal
Seriously ?

How about their pathetic handling of this whole affair ?( along with the ACC and two government ministers)
I haven't really seen anything pathetic tbh.... When people like Gus Gould (and many others) criticise it the day after, then do a complete 360 turnaround and pull their heads in as soon as they were party to a briefing, then you know some writing's on the wall.

How about the head of the world anti doping authority calling them out on their handling?
Must've missed that. Who are they again, and why would they comment on what is part of a broader crime commission investigation?

This things been a mess since that presser. They have inspired zero confidence all round. Especially considering their sensationalist claims at that press conference.
Their job is not to inspire confidence. It's to get to the bottom of things using whatever legal means available - sensational claims to rattle the cage or otherwise. Again, when Gus Gould backtracks and says that this thing is so big it will take six months to get to the bottom of, then you wonder if these Sharkies are just a tip of an iceberg?

NrlCoach

Juniors
Looks like ASADA are trying to con the NRL players to sign these reduced sentences since the haven't got real hard evidence. they probably tried this with essendon players but essendon player told ASADA to show them the evidence. they are just trying to test their luck with the NRL clubs now :sarcasm:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Have you explained what you base your confidence in asada and the ACC yet magpie?

Still avoiding that one?

And have I ever said players wouldn't be banned? They may well be.

It's just not adding up to the darkest day in Australian sport.

You'd like to live in a world of guilty until proven innocent based on your inane ramblings.

ASADA is not in anyone's court, they have a job to do - catch the cheats - they dont give a flying root about who it is or when the comp starts - just place bans on the cheats, then the sporting associations handled the rest, such as, additional bans or punishment for clubs.

If Cronulla go, then Essendon go in the AFL - would you than say it is: the darkest day in Australian sport.

I have not found anyone guilty, I just saying leave it to ASADA to finish then judge - you and your cohorts want to put a political spin on it and suggest it is a storm in a tea cup.

Last edited:
I haven't really seen anything pathetic tbh.... When people like Gus Gould (and many others) criticise it the day after, then do a complete 360 turnaround and pull their heads in as soon as they were party to a briefing, then you know some writing's on the wall.

Calling it the darkest day in Australian sport without showing any evidence isn't poor handling ? Isn't that putting the cart before the horse?

Must've missed that. Who are they again, and why would they comment on what is part of a broader crime commission investigation?

Are you joking ? Given they have expertise in the drug taking business maybe?

Their job is not to inspire confidence. It's to get to the bottom of things using whatever legal means available - sensational claims to rattle the cage or otherwise. Again, when Gus Gould backtracks and says that this thing is so big it will take six months to get to the bottom of, then you wonder if these Sharkies are just a tip of an iceberg?

Actually it is the job of law enforcement to inspire confidence. Without it they're f*cked.

Sensational claims only do them a massive disservice in the long run if they can't back them up. It's a basic boy who cried wolf scenario.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Our future was supposedly secure with a successful football team and the financial resources to match any of the premiership heavyweights.Sadly it all appears to be very much in doubt right now.
To say the club is in turmoil is putting it mildly.
The club hasn't had a chief executive for three years.
The chairman Damian Irvine is overseas this week on business.
Football manager Darren Mooney was nowhere to be seen.
The coach Shane Flanagan genuinely had no idea what was going on.
He didn't have a clue if players would be stood down for the weekend against the Titans.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ound-sharks-woes/story-e6frext9-1226591924952

Sharks fan Phil Rothfield is panicking.

ASADA is not in anyone's court, they have a job to do - catch the cheats - they dont given a flying root about who it is or when the comp starts - just place bans on the cheats, then the sporting associations handled the rest, such as, additional bans or punishment for clubs.

If Cronulla go, then Essendon go in the AFL - would you than say it is: the darkest day in Australian sport.

I have not found anyone guilty, I just saying leave it to ASADA to finish then judge - you and your cohorts want to put a political spin on it and suggest it is a storm in a tea cup.

Me and my cohorts :lol:

You continually are trying to put words in my mouth magpie.

All I've said from then beginning is investigate to the fullest. I have no issue with that. My issue stems back to the grandstanding of the original press conference.

If cronulla and essendon get busted big time , I would say its a very dark day in Australian sport. But I would only say it when that happens. Get the difference champ?

ShaiGuY

First Grade
If as it is reported by the media and that is a big if that players are threatening to sue the club if they are suspended, that would suggest that the club knows it stuffed up and the players are not denying what they did but instead blaming the club. Also it would be questionable for the club to allow asada to put that to the players who apparently had their agents with them ie why would the club allow their premises to be used for that purpose? Would the sharks have enough to pay for legal fees? Using if again, am unsure how much damage it will do to the club. As a rugby league supporter I hope it is all just a media beat up.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Me and my cohorts :lol:

You continually are trying to put words in my mouth magpie.

All I've said from then beginning is investigate to the fullest. I have no issue with that. My issue stems back to the grandstanding of the original press conference.

If cronulla and essendon get busted big time , I would say its a very dark day in Australian sport. But I would only say it when that happens. Get the difference champ?

Dear General Henry from Emu Plains,

They released what they needed too, to the public under the law, anyone who has been briefed after that has suggested it is very serious.

Don't worry your side will win the next election (as I dont have a side - i couldn't give a shit - they are all pricks).

Just get ready to say: its a very dark day in Australian sport.

Over and out, The Magpie.

Clarke

Juniors
Re: this thread.

I wish we could have two of these threads. One with all the information & intelligent discussion & another with all the stupid little jokes and no substance post I just spends hours reading through.

i shouldn't feel sorry for him but i do :?

I feel sorry for a lot of Sharks fans, members & players (depending in circumstance). But not him. You get back what you put out.

Shhhhh, we are avoiding highlighting this, same with two at the Titans. After all if one was doing it, they all must be.

Except Titans aren't apart of the investigation

Usain Bolt

Bench
This thread reminds me of those arguments Lance Armstrong fans used to have with people who said he was guilty:lol:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I wonder how much the Sharks will be paying for the spoon if half their first grade squad fall on their swords. The Panfers will owe them bigtime.

ek999

First Grade
From Dr John Orchard on Twitter

@absolut_rummo @RLW_Mole There is a category at end of WADA code stating it's illegal to manipulate body hormones with unlisted substances

@RLW_Mole @absolut_rummo Doesn't need to be listed as banned to be illegal, eg Marion Jones took "the clear" an unlisted anabolic

Canard

Immortal
From what I can see no one from ASADA or the ACC mentioned this "blackest or darkest day" that was a media beat up from a quote from a former head Richard Ings.

Rebecca's brother (is he?) on Sunrise suggesting it's similar to Essendon with players being needled "unknowingly"

If thats true that's likely why the reduced sentence has been mooted

Status
Not open for further replies.