What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SL Crowds thread

CC_Roosters

First Grade
12,228 at st helens v leeds. A bit disappointing but the travelling support was limited by chaos on the roads i heard.

2,333 at salford, not far off my 2,500 prediction

Sundays games should be reasonably healthy.

Salford have pretty much bottomed out from the financial crisis, i think its only upwards from here especially with the owner semmingly willing to spend for big name players

Harrigan

Juniors
Week 5

St Helens v Leeds - 12,228
Salford v London - 2,333
Widnes v Hull - 5,541
Catalan v Wakefield - 7,191
Castleford v Wigan - 7,852
Hull KR v Warrington - 7,446
Huddersfield v Bradford - 7,616

Total: 50,207
Average: 7,172

Season Total: 289,276
Season Average: 8,508

Teddyboy

First Grade
Week 5

St Helens v Leeds - 12,228
Salford v London - 2,333
Widnes v Hull - 5,541
Catalan v Wakefield - 7,191
Castleford v Wigan - 7,852
Hull KR v Warrington - 7,446
Huddersfield v Bradford - 7,616

Total: 50,207
Average: 7,172

Season Total: 289,276
Season Average: 8,508

Good it's shite how even just 1 EPL can get more to a game then a entire round of SL:x.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Good it's shite how even just 1 EPL can get more to a game then a entire round of SL.

Its just the way it is teddyboy. In Australia and the uk we would do well to stop the constant comparisons, remove the chip on our shoulder and focus on improving and expanding the sport.

For Round 6 i predict

Hull fc V Cas-10,200
Leeds V huddersfield- 14.5k
Wigan V Catalans- 13k
Wire V Saints- 14k
London V Hull kr- 2,400
Wakey V Salford- 8,200
Widnes V Bradford- 6,000

Total = 68k
Average = 9,700

Perhaps more at widnes after last weeks win. Leeds and huddersfield should get more than i predicted but in recent seasons that seems to be par.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Its just the way it is teddyboy. In Australia and the uk we would do well to stop the constant comparisons, remove the chip on our shoulder and focus on improving and expanding the sport.

For Round 6 i predict

Hull fc V Cas-10,200
Leeds V huddersfield- 14.5k
Wigan V Catalans- 13k
Wire V Saints- 14k
London V Hull kr- 2,400
Wakey V Salford- 8,200
Widnes V Bradford- 6,000

Total = 68k
Average = 9,700

Perhaps more at widnes after last weeks win. Leeds and huddersfield should get more than i predicted but in recent seasons that seems to be par.

Sadly Rugby League will never expand in England in a pro sense and Wales is a lost cause as they can not support there own Rugby Union regions and a year or so ago maybe France might have been ready for some sort of positive change but not sure how League is going outside the Dragons.
The only 2 places it could expand is in one it's homelands if Whitehaven and Workington could merge as I bet you get 4000 plus if a merged team playing in SL and also Penzance as I think crowds of 2000 plus would work in the summer in Cornwall as the population trebles.
If anyone is saying you can not have a SL team crowds with 2000/4000 then just look at one heartland club like Salford and one non heartland club like London.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Sadly Rugby League will never expand in England in a pro sense and Wales is a lost cause as they can not support there own Rugby Union regions and a year or so ago maybe France might have been ready for some sort of positive change but not sure how League is going outside the Dragons.
The only 2 places it could expand is in one it's homelands if Whitehaven and Workington could merge as I bet you get 4000 plus if a merged team playing in SL and also Penzance as I think crowds of 2000 plus would work in the summer in Cornwall as the population trebles.
If anyone is saying you can not have a SL team crowds with 2000/4000 then just look at one heartland club like Salford and one non heartland club like London.

Firstly thats a rugby union problem not a sport problem, the welsh have shown massive support for the two major soccer sides in cardiff and swansea.

You seem to have forgotten barrow, a far more likely candidate than whitehaven and workington for inclusion in SL.

Secondly you cannot be serious! Penzance?? Cornwall??!! where have you pulled this from. London have their problems but a little help from hq in promoting the pro game in london would be a boost, as for salford they are at the bottom of the barrel at the moment but the new owner seems determined to change that.

I think a club that should be seriously looked at for the super league next time is sheffield eagles. They play at brammal lane a great stadium and have some great history with the challenge cup win. I think they could build crowds and success being close to the heartlands for access to the talent pool and coaching. Not strictly expanding the game but at least its a major city which opens avenues to new fans and sponsorships who at least have exposure to footy. They also quaualify for a tilt at a license having won the championship last season

deal.with.it

Juniors
Reduce back to 12 teams and wait for another south or midlands team to be ready. Development is booming. Just need to hold off and consolidate for a couple of years.
Move 2 struggling heartland teams back to championships.
There isn't a need for massive change, just a couple and then consolidation.
The RLWC should see more juniors take up the sport in non-heartland areas.
By the time of 2017 WC, maybe look at adding a couple of teams to super league, OR, by 2017 a non-heartland team could have been promoted from championship 1 to championship, and then apply for Super League license.

Harrigan

Juniors
A few decent crowds last night:

Hull v Castleford - 11,825
Leeds v Huddersfield - 15,013
Warrington v St Helens - 13,381
Widnes v Bradford - 5,861
Wigan v Castleford - 12,149

Average off 11,646 in these 5. Sadly, it looks like the crowd at London right now will bring it right back down again. 1k or so by the looks of it :?

WireMan

Bench

Average off 11,646 in these 5. Sadly, it looks like the crowd at London right now will bring it right back down again. 1k or so by the looks of it :?

Warrington with the second highest crowd when Leeds, Wigan and Hull were at home.

Awesome stuff.

Teddyboy

First Grade

Some good crowds but Wigan and Hull look crap on TV unless there is 18000 plus.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Hopefully widnes who look more competitive this year will start to pull more fans in as the season progresses. Should be capable of averaging 8-10k long term

Hull are a mystery. The pull less against wire and bradford than they do against castleford after coming off a loss and on a friday night.

Last edited:

deluded pom?

Coach
Warrington with the second highest crowd when Leeds, Wigan and Hull were at home.

Awesome stuff.

Did I read that wrong or did Leeds have more there than Warrington did? You should have gone to Specsavers WireMan. Hmm. Cas with a dwindling following. Warrington playing one of their nearest and biggest rivals. let's see what the crowds are like when Warrington play Huddersfield and Hull play a near rival. Hull KR fits the bill.

deluded pom?

Coach
Hopefully widnes who look more competitive this year will start to pull more fans in as the season progresses. Should be capable of averaging 8-10k long term

Hull are a mystery. The pull less against wire and bradford than they do against castleford after coming off a loss and on a friday night.

Friday night is Hull's normal KO time.

The Clan

Juniors
Wakefield 23 Vs 23 Salford
Att: 6,986

very good crowd on an absolutely freezing, well -4 actually, day and also Mothers day.
Salford travelled in very low numbers, no more than 100 to 150

nadera78

Juniors

I don't think Widnes ever averaged 8-10k, even when they had a fantastic team and were consistently challenging for honours.

Latest posts