What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trans-tasman bid for RLWC2017

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10870104
League: Transtasman bid for league World Cup

By Michael Brown 5:30 AM Saturday Mar 9, 2013
Expand
NZRL chairman Scott Carter. Photo / Martin Sykes

New Zealand and Australia will bid to co-host the 2017 Rugby League World Cup, raising the possibility of the game's biggest tournament being held in this country for the first time in nearly 30 years.
The transtasman bid would have a good chance of success for a number of reasons, not least of all the fact South Africa :crazy:were the only other country to submit an expression of interest in time for November's deadline. Formal bids are due before October's World Cup in the UK and a decision is likely to coincide with that tournament.
The New Zealand and Australia bid will find considerable support, with four of the 10 members of the Rugby League International Federation board charged with making the decision from the two countries. South Africa are not presently represented.
Australia staged the last World Cup in 2008, when the Kiwis were victorious, but the last time a World Cup game was played in this country was the 1988 final at Eden Park.
A lot has changed in the international game since then and the New Zealand Rugby League have also proved themselves to be a lot more professional after a period of considerable disharmony.

The World Cup has also become a commercial success, with A$5 million ($6.2 million) profit banked from the 2008 tournament.
NZRL chairman Scott Carter, who also doubles as RLIF chairman, is driving New Zealand's part of the bid and a key feature is the fact they have secured letters of support from the Australian and New Zealand Governments.
"South Africa acknowledge they don't have official government support because they are grappling with recognition internally separate from the South African Rugby Union," Carter said. "They are very keen to use this opportunity to bid off the back of a successful football World Cup to be recognised as a national sports organisation in their own right but have some political hurdles to overcome."
The NZRL are keen to host more internationals, boosting their domestic objectives, but in the past haven't been able to contemplate hosting a major tournament.
New Zealand and Australia traditionally co-host the Four Nations - formerly Tri Nations - sharing the load in 1999, 2006 and 2010 and the two countries are also due to co-host next year's installment. This year's World Cup will involve 14 teams - the last had 10.
Some discussions have been had around the division of games, with New Zealand likely to host one pool as well as one or two quarter-finals and one semifinal.
Carter was asked by Sports Minister Murray McCully whether they wanted to submit a bid on their own but the NZRL preferred a co-host arrangement. "We would rather work with Australia."
- APNZ
By Michael Brown Email Michael

They've already said it will be Aus/NZ in 2017. They said so after the last RLIF meeting. And they didn't even need to do that.

docbrown

Coach
Not sure if it should be 50/50 though.

Maybe 4-5 pool games in the major NZ cities plus 1 or 2 finals.

hutch

First Grade
Would prefer nz to be primary hosts with Australia hosting a few pools and a quarter final or two.

Springs

First Grade
From a personal viewpoint I'd rather it be mostly in New Zealand. I'd love to spend a few weeks in the country. If they have New Zealand's pool and one of the smaller pools, plus at least two finals that's 11 games. It should be that much at least.

deluded pom?

Coach
It might have been a foregone conclusion but it's good to see some serious forward planning taking place. Rugby league doesn't usually do forward planning beyond a month at a time. Maybe the penny has finally dropped about the value of international competions.

mattystans000

Juniors
Agree, very good to see forward planning, even if it was a forgone conclusion. Will be hoping to see the organisers go with a 16 team format, should be able to cope with that expansion from 14 in 2013, back up to the highest no. of teams since 16 in 2000, rugby league is much better abled to have a successful 16 team tournament this time around i feel. Lebanon and a nation like South Africa or Jamaica, etc could easily fill the extra 2 spots (after qualifying of course).

4 Pools of 4, 3 week group stage. Top 2 from each pool through to the quarter finals, for a 3 week knockout stage. 6 weeks in total, same as RLWC 2013. Opening Ceremony on Oct 20 2017 to the Final on Nov 25 2017. NZ's Pool in NZ, other 3 in Aus as the article suggests, 2 quarters and a semi. 9 games in NZ, 22 in Aus. Possible "double" opening ceremony if NZ opens at Eden Park 5:30 oz time, 7:30 kiwi time, and Aus opens at ANZ/Suncorp 7:30 oz time. Just a *small* wishlist there ;-)

docbrown

Coach
I do like the cross-over pool concept as it keeps teams in those pools on their toes (unlike the foregone pool-of-death conclusions) but I think it could be applied to the Top 6 teams. I think the best way to get a 16 team cup to work is as follows -

Just using the current RLIF rankings -

TOP 6
Pool A
Team 1 - Australia
Team 3 - England
Team 5 - Wales

Pool B
Team 2 - New Zealand
Team 4 - France
Team 6 - PNG

Play own pool and 2 cross over games (4 games each)

7 big games:
AUS v ENG
AUS v WAL
AUS v NZ
AUS v PNG
NZ v FRA
NZ v PNG
NZ v ENG

6 others (3 including england):
ENG v WAL
ENG v NZ
ENG v FRA
FRA v PNG
FRA v WAL
WAL v PNG

MIDDLE 4
Pool C
Team 7 - Fiji
Team 8 - Samoa
Team 9 - Ireland
Team 10 - USA

Play each other once (3 games each)

BOTTOM 6
Pool D
Team 11 - Scotland
Team 13 - Italy
Team 15 - Serbia

Pool E
Team 12 - Tonga
Team 14 - Russia
Team 16 - Lebanon

Play each other once + one cross over game (3 games each)

FINALS

Who qualifies?

Pool A Winner
Pool B Winner
Next best AB team
Next best AB team after that (an entire pool can make it, or a 2-2 split)
Pool C Winner
Pool C Runner Up
Pool D Winner
Pool E Winner

Springs

First Grade
I actually like it the way it is now. I suppose it depends on how the smaller games go crowd wise, and the results of the bigger vs smaller games like quarter finals. With the 4 pools, 16 team format I'm not confident about how well the games would go. If pooled on rank then it's possible we will see Australia vs the 16th ranked team. It might work this time around but I'm not too confident.