What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Or his phone- note how quiet gutters has been in TFC.

On the Northern Beaches- a lot of kids play Union, as well as a lot of kids playing League- but the vast majority of the kids playing Union have little-to-no interest in senior Union teams and instead follow the Sea Eagles. That was definitely the case for all the junior Union teams I played in until I switched to playing League. The Rats get next-to-no one at their games, neither do the Marlins, and there's not many Waratahs supporters either.

OK, no argument but St Auggies won the shite load of rugby titles last year.

firechild

First Grade
St Augustine's produced a current Sea Eagles captain but I'm not aware of any great (or even good) union players that have come from there.

Only good rugby players that I'm aware of from the area are George and Tyrone Smith who went to the same school as Will Hopoate.

magpie4ever

First Grade
St Augustine's produced a current Sea Eagles captain but I'm not aware of any great (or even good) union players that have come from there.

Only good rugby players that I'm aware of from the area are George and Tyrone Smith who went to the same school as Will Hopoate.

This is getting off the topic, but:

Ok, I know that your little snowy-headed no:9 (St Auggies) from your SG Ball and then NYC side repped for NSW schoolboys in union last year.

Not a bad footballer.

firechild

First Grade
Cool, pretty sure Jamil Hoppa did too. As expected though, both went on to pursue careers in league, not union. So as reanimate suggested, plenty of kids on the beaches play union but it inevitably leads to an interest in league.

Clarke

Juniors
I clicked on this thread today and it took me to the newest post that I haven't read. Seeming that was on page 24, can anyone tell me what this thread has been about the for past 70-odd pages?

First Grade
I clicked on this thread today and it took me to the newest post that I haven't read. Seeming that was on page 24, can anyone tell me what this thread has been about the for past 70-odd pages?

Basically specualtion about speculation and some comments by some people and no concrete evidence or charges as yet, so exactly the same as where you left it at page 24.

magpie4ever

First Grade

A shit fight between the conspiracy theorists, the right-wing Alan Jones supporting rednecks and the supposed left leaning ASADA supporting good guys.:cool:

Clarke

Juniors
Basically specualtion about speculation and some comments by some people and no concrete evidence or charges as yet, so exactly the same as where you left it at page 24.

A shit fight between the conspiracy theorists, the right-wing Alan Jones supporting rednecks and the supposed left leaning ASADA supporting good guys.:cool:

Thanks, that saved me a few hours.

bottle

Coach

I know what you mean. Just got back in for the first time in 18 hours and I'm 6-7 pages behind the convo. I've lost the thread of the discussions I was having, and between that and the constant time outs and crashes, the sidebar discussions and the political and conspiratorial pollution it's becoming impossible to keep abreast of any meaningful content. I think I'll take a rain check and see how things pan out.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Interessting dank still professes innocence and that questions have been asked of the 5 clubs named in the report yet no mention of the other NRL clubs made public weeks ago

So just what the hell is going on here?? We hear a different story from each media outlet as to the allegations and responses from those involved. The government who so gleefully announced this to the world to turn the spotlight away from their problems needs to put outs fire or resolve to the full extent of the law sooner rather than later

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...tial-to-drag-on-for-years-20130311-2fwcy.html

Fallout from doping probe has potential to drag on for years

Date
March 11, 2013

Roy Masters
Rugby League Columnist

The Cronulla players suspected of drug violations are likely to be still playing all season, while guilty members of the Sharks football department could be banned for life.

NRL rules allow a player who has not tested positive to a drug test to continue playing until his case is heard but any premiership points earned from wins, while he is a member of the team, are eventually stripped, should he eventually be found guilty.

The AFL have the same rule, meaning the drugs saga affecting both codes has the potential for a team on the eve of the grand final to lose its points and forced to forfeit.

Given the task faced by ASADA of six investigators interviewing more than 150 players at a minimum of six NRL and AFL clubs, it will take more than a year to complete the probe into players, support staff and club officials and lay charges before penalties are given.

Fourteen Sharks players have indicated they will contest the charge of using drugs but if eventually found guilty, are likely to be suspended for two years.

However, "support staff" under ASADA rules, meaning coaches, trainers, masseurs, club doctors, face bans of eight years to life, even if the use of the drug was deemed inadvertent. Given that support staff are mature people in a position of responsibility, they are treated more harshly under the WADA code.

Insofar as there is evidence needles were used in the Sharks' dressing room, it would be difficult to escape conviction on a plea of inadvertent use.

The action by the Cronulla board in sacking or standing down five members of the Sharks' football department reflects the seriousness with which they interpret the WADA/ASADA view of the duty of care of support staff.

No doubt the Sharks board took this action to exculpate themselves from guilt but they have a responsibility to the members who elected them. It could take five years but eventually, if Cronulla as a club is deemed guilty, it may lose its NRL licence. Even if the NRL chose not to take any action against the Sharks club, WADA can challenge the decision.

Perhaps one reason why the Sharks board recommended its 14 players take early guilty pleas and accept six month bans was the disruption to the club and the league over premiership points lost through fielding guilty players.

WADA does allow sports the discretion of not immediately standing down players suspected of a doping offence, in the absence of a positive test. Given the massive scale of the involvement of so many players and clubs in both codes, it seems inevitable the rule will eventually be changed.

The drugs saga threatens to be a protracted one because ASADA is under-resourced. A standard interview involves two ASADA staffers quizzing a player/official, often three times. Transcripts of the interview are then prepared.

ASADA usually have six investigations running simultaneously, sometimes simply the import of a steroid assigned to a sub district rugby union player.

Now they have an enquiry embroiling Australia's two dominant winter football codes. Protocol is very important to ASADA but I suspect the scale of the potential doping breaches meant they created a short circuit step in the Sharks probe.

Their standard procedure is to prepare evidence, record the interviews and make a recommendation to an independent Anti Doping Rule Violation Board which then hears the case and determines penalty, or, in the case of Cronulla, the relevant body issuing sanctions is the NRL doping panel. In other words, the investigators can't determine penalty.

The suspect player's club does not become involved in the process, right up to charges being laid, unless he gives ASADA permission.

Yet ASADA has already met with the NRL and Sharks and nominated 14 players potentially guilty. This is a breach of standard procedure, unless ASADA were tabling evidence to Cronulla of a general, not specific to any individual player nature. Under the Act, ASADA can't lay an individual charge.

The Sharks are first up because ASADA clearly have a whistleblower.

A support staffer, normally facing eight years to life, can have his ban discounted to 12 months, if he fully co-operates with ASADA, via its "substantial assistance" clause.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Interessting dank still professes innocence and that questions have been asked of the 5 clubs named in the report yet no mention of the other NRL clubs made public weeks ago

So just what the hell is going on here?? We hear a different story from each media outlet as to the allegations and responses from those involved. The government who so gleefully announced this to the world to turn the spotlight away from their problems needs to put outs fire or resolve to the full extent of the law sooner rather than later

Perfect example of: "the conspiracy theorists, the right-wing Alan Jones supporting rednecks"Cuckoo, Cuckoo

bottle

Coach

Read the post below yours.
If you're expecting a quick resolution, I'm expecting you'll be disappointed.

BunniesMan

Immortal
So according to Masters players investigated keep playing until judgement is made. And then if guilty all the points their team earned are stripped. So a team could be in the finals and then forced to forfeit because the points they earned would cease to exist. Crazy.

no name

Coach
So according to Masters players investigated keep playing until judgement is made. And then if guilty all the points their team earned are stripped. So a team could be in the finals and then forced to forfeit because the points they earned would cease to exist. Crazy.

What's your sane alternative?

El Diablo

Post Whore

f**k off you gumby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts