What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
under current populations
2 NRL sides in Sydney ( tick ova 2 million each like the broncos have )
60K average .. minimum... each

4 NRL sides in Brisbane ( 500K each like Sydney sides have )

average about 8K .....each

debate ends ................here! :cool:

Haha - AS IF.

You lot can barely sell out an origin match. Regular league games with two teams would not average 60k.

Clarke

Juniors
13k odd at parra. Thought it looked like more tbh struggle to find 7k empty seats??

Parramatta Stadium is been like that for a number of years. I don't think the real capacity is anywhere near 20,000.

I even switch on the Western Sydney Wanderers match at the ground in-between the Melbourne/St George Illawarra and Cronulla/Gold Coast matches. The figure for that game was 15,809. I struggled to find 5,000 empty seats.

The real capacity must be around 17,000-18,000

Clarke

Juniors
For what it's worth my take on the figures from round 1, so far.

Thursday Night Football
Sydney Roosters v South Sydney Rabbitohs at Allianz Stadium
Crowd: 35,952
A little disappointing but the figure probably reflects the number of Sydney Cricket Ground trust members that didn't show up. 3,000 below par.

Friday Night Football
Brisbane Broncos v Manly Sea Eagles at Suncorp Stadium.
Crowd: 31,139
Admittedly it was a little disappointing, however I am not about to demand or attack people who may have not showed up after another terrible flood season in and around Brisbane.

Saturday Night Football
Parramatta Eels v New Zealand Warriors at Parramatta Stadium.
Crowd: 13,351
Looked good on the TV, a solid start to the season for a club whose been at the bottom of the ladder for the past few years up against the NZ team. If they continue to play more football like that this number will be sure to grow.

Canterbury Bulldogs v North Queensland Cowboys at Bluetongue Stadium.
Crowd: 11,627
Terrible effort. Canterbury are probably thinking moving the game to the Central Coast wasn't worth it. The Bulldogs may have performed better and pulled a bigger ground at home for this match.

Sunday Football
Penrith Panthers v Canberra Raiders at Centrebet Stadium.
Crowd: 10,882
After watching the game I was just happy that the crowd figure was announced over 10,000. Would have been embarrassing to get a sub 10,000 ground in round 1.

Melbourne Storm v St George Illawarra Dragons at AAMI Park.
Crowd: 16,251
Very hot day in Melbourne may have kept a few away but overall a solid crowd that was par for this match up.

Sunday Night Football
Cronulla Sharks v Gold Coast Titans at Sharks Stadium.
Crowd: 17,541
Little disappointing that the game wasn't a full house after all that's happened but it's a fantastic crowd for this match up and the emotion of the entire day was amazing.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You lot can barely sell out an origin match. Regular league games with two teams would not average 60k.
Uhm, is that why the last two Origins have sold out, including the 2012 match where they had to install 1,000 more seats to cater for the interest? :?

Even the lowest Sydney Origin crowd of the last 10 years (61k in 2010) was 9k higher than anything Queensland can get... and the only reason the crowd was so low was that it was a dead rubber.

For the record, Origin matches at ANZ since 1999 average 73,320. A full 21,000 more than fit into Suncorp.

Last edited:

elbusto

Coach
To be fair it's Moomba and a long weekend down here so considering that i thought it was a pretty good turn out. While i agree playing the Stains is always a good chance of getting 20k i don't think there's any doubt given those 2 things we'd have got that no worries.

When we get a shit crowd I'll always put my hand up but facts are many people go away on weekends and a shitload of people go to Moomba as well. Just saw the news here and the banks of the Yarra were absolutely chockers so IMO, this time there were legitimate mitigating circumstances.
I was there and I agree. It was not a day for football. It was stinking hot. My wife and I upgraded to category 1 seats to keep out of the heat.

I thought the crowd was great and absolutely into it.

If it was cooler 20000 would have been a given.

There was a lot on in Melbourne - a big weekend with lots to do.

Got a lot of queries walking back to the hotel from people wanting to know the result.

Anybody in AFL gear just glares at you though :lol::lol:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Haha - AS IF.

Sydneysiders are just more passionate about club football
ask any of them what they'd prefer

an origin crown for their state
or a premiership for their club .... 9 out of 10 would go for the latter

like I said
if you combined the support for the present 9 sydney NRL sides into just 2 sides
they'd both average 60K .... without doubt:cool:

as they are just better supporters of club football on any measure
then our fickle northern cousins ;-)

Teddyboy

First Grade
Sydneysiders are just more passionate about club football
ask any of them what they'd prefer

an origin crown for their state
or a premiership for their club .... 9 out of 10 would go for the latter

like I said
if you combined the support for the present 9 sydney NRL sides into just 2 sides

Yes but if you only had 2 combined Sydney teams who would be left to play all season :?

like I said

Who is the best supported team? Of yes, Broncos, right. Carry on, RD.

Better for a million people to earn a dollar each than one man a million, hey Dave?

Nice logic, Mr Bolt.

thorson1987

Coach
I simply can not understand people who call themselves fans of a club and don't go to watch them play. Makes no sense to me.

What a crock of shit.

So your saying I'm not a Storm fan because i cant make games.

Weeknights are out for me due to work.
Sundays (and some Saturday Nights) were out due to me still playing.
Saturday nights i spend time with my kids (3 under the age of 4) due to not getting to see them much during the week.

mattyg

Bench
Dogs v Eels should be a cracker on Thursday...should really break 30k but without barba, kasiano, pritchard, graham and being on a Thurs night will see some people stay away...

Shame the warriors played so badly...that shoulda been looking at 30k + as well but I think they will struggle to even get 20k.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Yes but if you only had 2 combined Sydney teams who would be left to play all season :?

ahhhhhh:sarcasm:
its a hyothetical

demonstrating how much better supporters of club football Sydneysiders are over Brisbanites

Like if you increased the population of the Canberra by 5.5 to the Size of Brisbane
our average of 10k a game is actually better then the Broncos av of 30K
this is also a hypothetical

got it
good :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.