What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hooker wanted

ParraFan09

Juniors
Last week we flogged the Warriors and everyone was getting all excited and putting big wraps on guys like Paulo, Roberts & and a few even said Keating played well. Hayne was on fire scored 3 tries. And this week we lose by 4 points against last years grand finalists and all of a sudden these same players "have no talent and are unfit) I don't get it!

Glenn

First Grade
Last week we flogged the Warriors and everyone was getting all excited and putting big wraps on guys like Paulo, Roberts & and a few even said Keating played well. Hayne was on fire scored 3 tries. And this week we lose by 4 points against last years grand finalists and all of a sudden these same players "have no talent and are unfit) I don't get it!

Just the usual level of Schizophrenia among Parramatta supporters.

Kornstar

Coach

Pretty much sums it up.

Hayne was disappointing but I think he did improve near the end, same goes for Paulo, the last 10 to 15 minutes he stopped trying to overplay and started to look dangerous. Was still a little too sideways but you could see the Dogs were hanging off him and his ball playing had them worried. I think when he is not going to need to be the main playmaker he will be an asset.

I wasn't all that impressed with Keating last week and this week didn't alter my thoughts, I think he took the wrong option too many times! That one down our right side where he jumped out should have went left but went right and backed Smith into the sideline was a terrible decision, there was nothing there!! His service is also too slow!

Roberts just plays dumb but his footwork is amazing, I think he will be a good 14 but shouldn't start, he just seems to not cope consistently being on the field the whole time in the one role.

Oh and if someone told me any time in the last 6 months that we would have matched it with last years grand finalists, I would have said you were crazy, so I was not too disappointed in the loss. Probably should have won it but hopefully they can learn that building pressure instead of scoring off every set would have been much more beneficial for us!

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Pretty much sums it up.

Hayne was disappointing but I think he did improve near the end, same goes for Paulo, the last 10 to 15 minutes he stopped trying to overplay and started to look dangerous. Was still a little too sideways but you could see the Dogs were hanging off him and his ball playing had them worried. I think when he is not going to need to be the main playmaker he will be an asset.

I wasn't all that impressed with Keating last week and this week didn't alter my thoughts, I think he took the wrong option too many times! That one down our right side where he jumped out should have went left but went right and backed Smith into the sideline was a terrible decision, there was nothing there!! His service is also too slow!

Roberts just plays dumb but his footwork is amazing, I think he will be a good 14 but shouldn't start, he just seems to not cope consistently being on the field the whole time in the one role.

Oh and if someone told me any time in the last 6 months that we would have matched it with last years grand finalists, I would have said you were crazy, so I was not too disappointed in the loss. Probably should have won it but hopefully they can learn that building pressure instead of scoring off every set would have been much more beneficial for us!

What if they said last years grand finalist minus their best player and a few key forwards?

Kornstar

Coach
What if they said last years grand finalist minus their best player and a few key forwards?

We lost a captain (by half time), our starting 5/8th, experienced centre and starting winger. We weren't exactly our top squad either.

I admit their losses were greater but those forwards that replaced them have been in Hasler's (top 3 coaches in the game) system for 2 off seasons and are quality anyway. Barba was their only real loss against us.

I said before the game that I agreed with Ricky, if we were 2 or 3 tries near them then we would have done well, we were 1 try and in it till the siren, not bad for a team predicted to finish in the bottom 4 against a team predicted to finish in the top 4, both with injuries but one having some serious depth and the other with barely any!

Fathead

Bench
stick keating in 2nd row and let him tackle all night like hindy did, roberts is a better impact player off the bench in short burst running at tired defenders from hooker,was at game in the stands and was"Not Happy Jan" with hayne.
slow return of the ball, walking back to his position with his back to the play, yes maybe he was ill but you never see Slater playing like that even on a bad day. Capatain should lead by example no matter how ill he is, look at Mannahs performance.

You know that's not a bad idea re keating in the second row. Use him like a Paul Taylor (for us oldies ) or a Shaun Fensom.
His role will be simple... Just tackle. Not a bad idea. Left field for sure but sticky is just adventurous enough to try it !

aqua_duck

Coach
You know that's not a bad idea re keating in the second row. Use him like a Paul Taylor (for us oldies ) or a Shaun Fensom.
His role will be simple... Just tackle. Not a bad idea. Left field for sure but sticky is just adventurous enough to try it !

If you want a 2nd rower who just tackles and nothing else there are a lot better options than Matt Keating, and their not severely undersized either and wouldn't get dominated like a Thai lady boy every hit up.

phantom eel

First Grade
I don't think there's much of a crisis. We just failed to finish off some good possession and field position for what at the time could have been a winning try.

Hooker's doing fine, doing his job ok and we need his defence. Roberts for mine was a bit more miss than hit (in attack as well as defence), but we knew and expected that, and he'll be back on the bench instead of playing that many minutes when Kelly is back and fit.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I don't think there's much of a crisis. We just failed to finish off some good possession and field position for what at the time could have been a winning try.

Hooker's doing fine, doing his job ok and we need his defence. Roberts for mine was a bit more miss than hit (in attack as well as defence), but we knew and expected that, and he'll be back on the bench instead of playing that many minutes when Kelly is back and fit.

You know how the modern game is all about "speed" from the quick play the balls right?

Just watch Keating carefully next game. From the time the ball is played until the time it gets to the receivers hand is insanely long. He completely shuts down our attack for long periods of many games every season.

It is absolutely no coincidence that since he's been in FG, we've only played well as a team for a stretch (back end of 2009), and we scored more points during that phase when Kingston came on as hooker.

His service is often really really poor. And he's too old to expect it'll suddenly improve. Hooker definitely our position of biggest need.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Pretty much sums it up.

If we'd won the game it wouldn't mean Keating gives quick service from dummy half.

He is anything but crisp from there. It's been said for years, and remains the case.

oldmancraigy

Coach

The "Matt Keating sux" thread was started after the Warriors game.

DeanPay98

Juniors
As has been noted above, the issues with Keating have been around for years. His defence is good, but his service is less than crisp. If our attack is going to be effective we need a change for 2014. Keeping him in the pack as a backrower who just tackles is an option. There might be other. But this issue isn't Parra fans changing their tune after a loss. Its been a problem since at least 2010 if not before.

yy_cheng

Coach
Just to add to it watch the next time he passes from the back of the scrum. He sort c**ks the ball back before releasing. He does that from dummy half as well and that's what slows his service down. If you watch when mk is tackled and sandow is at dummy half watch how fast the ball leaves his hands

yy_cheng

Coach
Roberts to me is a mortz. Has strong points but very weak in others. As Kornstar said he is incredible with his feet but when you ask him to playmake he gets himself into strife ala mortz

The only position that would suit him are 14 and possibly at centre where he can use his footwork and go one on one with his oponent

eels81236

Bench
If I hear another move somebody to another position idea I might flip my lid. Realistically, only the very best ever move position and make a real success of it. The closest we have is Hayne and he has been tried at 6 twice and eventually ended up back where he belongs.

Players are moved to other positions because their skills are being underutilised, not because they are not good enough to play in their preferred position.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
If I hear another move somebody to another position idea I might flip my lid. Realistically, only the very best ever move position and make a real success of it. The closest we have is Hayne and he has been tried at 6 twice and eventually ended up back where he belongs.

Players are moved to other positions because their skills are being underutilised, not because they are not good enough to play in their preferred position.

Calm down chief. It is not uncommon for some players to play multiple positions. Personally, I love a good 'move somebody to another position' post.