What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players I would Cut If I Could After This Season

TheRam

Coach
Just thinking of the biggest liability players in our team this season and I would have to say that these three are at the top of my list.

Ben Smith
Ben Roberts
Matt Keating

strider

Post Whore
you've just released 84 tackles (+ whatever roberts did) from last thursday's game

#justSayin'

IFR33K

Coach
Just thinking of the biggest liability players in our team this season and I would have to say that these three are at the top of my list.

Ben Smith
Ben Roberts
Matt Keating

BS wouldn't be eating much from our cap, considering consessions, but yeah can't disagree about the other two.

We finally snare a half, but now require a hooker.

Kornstar

Coach
BS wouldn't be eating much from our cap, considering consessions, but yeah can't disagree about the other two.

We finally snare a half, but now require a hooker.

I'd keep Smith too for the same reasons, the other 2 can go though!

mickdo

Coach
My list order (top of list is first to go) would be

Keating
Smith
Roberts

I think Roberts would be ok if only used as a 14. If we supposedly have a mountain of cap room next year then cap concessions shouldn't really be a factor (and we do have other long-term players).

Eels Dude

Coach
What hookers are available on the open market? It's a position the club has neglected for depth for a couple of years now, surely we can find someone from another club that offers more than Keating because we seem to be lacking in the lower grades there too.

Ben Smith seems to offer absolutely nothing in attack these days. Sure he can tackle, but if he's playing wide we need more than that. Not fussed on Roberts. Ryan has gone ok this year, but couldn't be fussed if he left either. And of course Lasalo is the first player that comes to mind despite him not playing this year yet.

Avenger

Immortal
Just off the top of my head:

Roberts
Keating
Lasallo
Smith
POH
Mullaney
Willie Tonga
Peni Terepo

(There is about a $1 million just there)

The Colonel

Immortal
Unfortunately only Roberts is off contract.

In saying that though other than Farah, what decent hookers are off contract. And by decent I mean an upgrade on Keating? Defensively he holds his own. He could be used in the same way Canberra used Alan Tongue and effectively how the Storm use Hinchcliffe.

Hopefully Prichard, Vescio or one of our other young hookers can come through unless the idea is to use Kelly at hooker with the apparent purchase of Norman which I don't necessarily believe to be a good thing.

It's all good to say we should cut this player or that player but there have to be alternatives and whole our juniors show promise at this stage we have lost a mountain of experience that is hard to replace it certainly isn't helped by releasing more.

Avenger

Immortal

In saying that though other than Farah, what decent hookers are off contract. And by decent I mean an upgrade on Keating? Defensively he holds his own. He could be used in the same way Canberra used Alan Tongue and effectively how the Storm use Hinchcliffe.

Hopefully Prichard, Vescio or one of our other young hookers can come through unless the idea is to use Kelly at hooker with the apparent purchase of Norman which I don't necessarily believe to be a good thing.

It's all good to say we should cut this player or that player but there have to be alternatives and whole our juniors show promise at this stage we have lost a mountain of experience that is hard to replace it certainly isn't helped by releasing more.

That's not true Colonel or do you mean hookers only ? Of all the players I have listed only Ben Smith is still contracted for 2014.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Just off the top of my head:

Roberts
Keating
Lasallo
Smith
POH
Mullaney
Willie Tonga
Peni Terepo

(There is about a $1 million just there)

Most of those blokes are off contract too. We should be looking at letting alot go.

Eels Dude, pretty much the only one i would go for that is off contract (apart from Farah) would be Mitch Rein.

mickdo

Coach
I thought Tonga and Smith were off contract at the end of the year

Add Keating to that too

The Colonel

Immortal
That's not true Colonel or do you mean hookers only ? Of all the players I have listed only Ben Smith is still contracted for 2014.

I was talking regarding the first three names mentioned.

The players you have mentioned then I am certain that both Smith and Keating signed new deals last year. Given that few of the ones mentioned have kicked on as expected I would think they will be gone anyway unless we are looking for cheap backup.

mickdo

Coach
The players you have mentioned then I am certain that both Smith and Keating signed new deals last year.

Not according to this list published in late January...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/johnathan-thurston-headlines-the-list-of-nrl-players-off-contract-at-the-end-of-2013/story-fn2mcuj6-1226562348268

EELS
Ben Roberts
Jarryd Hayne
Matt Keating
Ryan Morgan
Taniela Lasalo
Willie Tonga
Jacob Loko
Nathan Smith
Mitch Allgood

Jason70

Juniors

I think Mitch Rein is off contract. He goes pretty good in a average side. Got a feeling Stuart is going to try to turn Kelly into a hooker if he snares Corey Norman.

TheRam

Coach
I don't think Smith is on as little as you guys think.

And considering how he offers absolutely nothing in attack and actually stymies it to an absolute halt, any other player that can make 25-35 tackles a game would offer the same or more in attack then he does, without the game losing penalties.

I don't think Smith is on as little as you guys think.

And considering how he offers absolutely nothing in attack and actually stymies it to an absolute halt, any other player that can make 25-35 tackles a game would offer the same or more in attack then he does, without the game losing penalties.

Yeh, but he is eligible for salary cap concessions, which means that any player signed as a direct replacement has to be X% better. I'm happy to keep Smith as a 'depth re-signing'. He won't be on big money in 2014 anyway (regardless of cap concession)...I can't imagine other clubs are fighting to sign him presently. You always need some depth players, and if you can get one with a salary cap discount, that makes sense to me. Doesn't mean he'd be in my top 13 (or 17).