What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks for Billy Slaters Karate kick to the head of David Klemmer?

How many weeks for Billy Slaters Karate kick to the head of David Klemmer?

Votes: 17 18.3%

Votes: 16 17.2%

Votes: 14 15.1%

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Season

Votes: 38 40.9%

• Total voters

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
and if that was illegal why has he never been punnished for doing it, or asked to change, or penalised? It can't be that illegal can it now?

emotional drivel aside, this is a rehash of your first paragraph.

hang on, because there's no precedent, he can't be defended? Lol that's quite a convenient but heavily bullshit laden thing to say.

and klemmer said it was an accident. There is no precedent, Slater has done this for years.

He'll get off.

Do you even know what an accident is??

He is purposely sticking his foot out to protect himself from the advancing defenders. He sticks his foot out so that he can take the catch uncontested.

He is aware that the foot being stuck out is a deterrent to the opposition, lets be fair, getting a boot to the face is never enjoyable. You guys allege that it was an accident, but it isnt. Well he may not have intended to stick the boot into Klemmer, he did however intend to use his boot to keep them away. That there indicates it is not an accident.

It is dangerous play. Players cant use there legs to kick or push away the opposition, regardless how long he had performed the act. I am not saying the NRL are all over this, they clearly let this go for so long. I have noticed this action before, but why the NRL did not act before is beyond me, unfortunately most business/sporting entities use the reactive approach "shit that merkin lost an eye, better ban it ASAP".

Why were shoulder charges banned, because the NFL were being sued and lawyers in Australia feared it may happen here due to continued concussions. Do you really think the game will allow sticking studs to the face??

We have a bloody ref to police the game, we also have sanctions to punish those that breach the rules. If klemmer or any other player makes a tackle on a player in the air, its a penalty and potentially on report.. that there is what protects the players taking the catch. If slater is scared of possible contact, tell him to harden up or go play touch footy.

morley101

Juniors
Slater will need change his technique. He claims he does it to protect himself. He does not need to protect himself by sticking out a leg. The rules are in place to protect him whilst he is the air.
He sticks out the leg to ensure another player does not challenge for the
ball in the air
Every other player in the competition has another technique.
Klemmer had his arms down not attempting to hit Slater and only moves his
arm to try and protect himself from an oncoming boot.

0 weeks this time but if it happens again.

Danish

Referee
How does Klemmer saying it was an accident come into it in any way?

Besides absolute cats like glenn morrison every league player who is a victim of foul play always talks down the incident. Its the player code. Hell Adrian Morley once wrote a letter to the judiciary saying thathe felt no pressure on his neck after a Hindmarsh grapple so that Hindy could play origin, despite Morley having to leave the field afterwards because he couldn't breath properly!

Slater didn't intend to kick Klemmer specifically in the face, however by admitting that he deliberately throws the boot out there to ward off defenders he is admitting that he is consciously taking action that could result in kicking someone in the face. Thats a clearly reckless act, in the same league as knee lifting or raising the forearm/elbow while running into the defensive line.

He deserves time for it. He'll get off, then he'll do it again another couple times, get off again, then someone else will do it and they'll get suspended (same thing that happened with kicking blokes in the head).

The General

Juniors
But but but it's not his go

r80068_230642.jpg

872513-billy-slater-warned-about-slide-tackle.jpg

701857-billy-slater-melbourne-nrl.jpg

art-353-BILLY-20SLATER-203-300x0.jpg

aqua_duck

Coach
Unintentional or not, he needs to reel that leg in

I have not seen any other fullback in the comp consistently kick his leg out so far on a kick take. He may be trying to protect himself but it is still dangerous.

Props cant lift their elbows up to protect themselves when running the ball back, Billy cant be allowed to throw his boot out at players heads.

Players use their ball carrying forearm all the time to fend off a defender

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Pretty sad/funny when you know your team isn't good enough to beat another and blindly hope like hell one of the opposition are out. Good luck with that lol

It's even worse when you know your team cheated massively and still weren't good enough on the day...

Butters

Bench
He's not even looking at the dogs player when he supposedly kicked him. FMD so many bitter/jealous wankers in here.

kdalymc

Bench
Some people are complete idiots.

If I "accidentally" head high you, it still head high.
Intent or not, it's still a foot to the face.

Pugzley

From that replay, it looks as if Slater saw Klemmer running up for a contest/put pressure and stuck his leg out in his general direction.

You tell me that it is a natural movement to stick your leg out while jumping in the air. Slater's lucky that he wasn't sent off. Protected grub that he is.

Matchball

Bench
Any other player and I'd say its a one off but we are talking about Billy Slater.
Dirty grub with a long history of being one with his boots.

Rub him out for 2.

Meth

Staff member
Some people are complete idiots.

If I "accidentally" head high you, it still head high.
Intent or not, it's still a foot to the face.

So every time there's an accidental collision, there should be a penalty, or worse?

What if one team mate accidentally clocks another? Does their team get penalised?

kdalymc

Bench
Ok then,

If I "accidentally" coat hanger you, it's STILL a coat hanger.

If I "accidentally" lose my footing and end up spear tackling you, it's still a spear tackle.

And if I do it on purpose, penalty should be higher.

Illegal play = illegal play man ..

Bulldog Force

Referee
The original penalty went to the Bulldogs, didn't it? Which, Smith rightly pointed out, was ridiculous. Either Slater was in the wrong, or Klemmer was. Either the penalty should have been reversed, or Slater has no case to answer.
The original penalty went against the Bulldogs. Then when they realised Klemmer was injured and couldn't get up, they saw what happened. Klemmer didn't take Slater out in mid air, rather Billy lost his footing because of his feet made contact with Klemmer. So it wasn't that Klemmer was in the wrong, it was just one of those freak accidents that happen. Slater has no case to answer, correct.

gUt

Coach
From that replay, it looks as if Slater saw Klemmer running up for a contest/put pressure and stuck his leg out in his general direction.

You tell me that it is a natural movement to stick your leg out while jumping in the air. Slater's lucky that he wasn't sent off. Protected grub that he is.

Slater often sticks his leg out when jumping to catch, but that's no excuse. Gus etc going on about it being a "reflex"... well so are those accidental head-high grabs when a big fella gets wrong footed. Penalty (at least) every time.

1 week at least ;-)