What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England 30-Man ETS (Elite Training Squad)

Harrigan

Juniors
I haven't seen this posted elsewhere so here it is, McNamara's 30 man, UK Based training squad:

The official RFL Press release

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats winger Ben Cockayne has been called up to England Rugby League’s 30-man Elite Training Squad as the national team starts its preparations in World Cup year.

Cockayne, 29, has been the standout winger during the early part of the 2013 Super League season scoring six tries in the Wildcats’ opening five league fixtures.

The former Hull KR and Featherstone Rovers back is the only new inclusion, with England Coach Steve McNamara keeping faith with the majority of players that led England to tournament victory last autumn against France and Wales.

The squad will meet up at RAF Cranwell, Lincolnshire over the weekend of March 16 and there will be a further four camps throughout this year including high altitude training in Potchefstroom, South Africa at the end of the domestic season.

“We have been impressed with Ben’s (Cockayne) all-round form in Super League over a sustained period of time and he deserves his call up to the ETS,” said McNamara, who has been tracking Cockayne’s progress over the past 18 months.

“The coaches and established players look forward to welcoming him into the group at our first camp later this month. We hope he can build on his selection and continue his progress as a top class Rugby League player.”

“It is an honour to be selected,” said Cockayne, on becoming the first ever Wakefield player to be selected in the ETS squad since it was established two years ago.

“This is hopefully the first step to possibly playing for my country. To be recognised amongst the elite of English Rugby League is my biggest honour to date and I can’t wait to meet up with the rest of the England boys in the next couple of weeks.”

Super League reigning champions Leeds Rhinos have the most players in the squad with eight representatives, Wigan Warriors and Warrington Wolves both have six and there are a further six clubs represented from the Super League across the squad.

“The players are fully aware of the importance of this year,” added McNamara. “Every opportunity we have together will be vital in honing our preparations to make a real impact on the Rugby League World Cup in the autumn.

“We have every confidence in the group, along with our Australian based players, to be competitive against the best teams in the world. We are leaving nothing to chance and our training programme will add variety and the attention to detail our elite players deserve.”

Furthermore, McNamara has invited Bradford Bulls John Bateman, Rhinos Stevie Ward and Warrington’s Ben Currie to the first camp giving the former England Academy trio the opportunity to experiencing training at the elite level.

“The main focus naturally will be about the Rugby League World Cup, but we have a responsibility to ensure the future stars of the game are prepared and ready for international tournaments after 2013 and the World Cup in 2017,” McNamara said.

“That’s the reason why Ben (Currie), John (Bateman) and Stevie (Ward) have been invited to the first camp. They are part of England’s future and opportunities like this will benefit the lads in their Rugby League development.”

England will start their 2013 campaign with the International Origin match against the Exiles on Friday June 14 at The Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington and will take on France in a warm-up game before the Rugby League World Cup gets underway on Saturday October 26, when England take on Australia at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.

Tickets for the International Origin game against the Exiles can be purchased at with a £5 discount, meaning £20 tickets can be purchased by £15, until Tuesday March 12 by calling the RFL Ticket Office on 0844 856 1113 or visiting www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk and quoting the discount code ENG01

2013 England Elite Training Squad

(Professional club and community club listed):

Carl Ablett Leeds Rhinos, Hunslet Parkside
Tom Briscoe Hull FC, Featherstone Lions
Rob Burrow Leeds Rhinos, Featherstone Lions
Garreth Carvell Warrington Wolves, Stanningley
Josh Charnley Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks
Rangi Chase Castleford Tigers, Dannevirke Tigers
Ben Cockayne Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, Normanton Knights
Eorl Crabtree Huddersfield Giants, Huddersfield YMCA
Leroy Cudjoe Huddersfield Giants, Newsome Panthers
Gareth Ellis Hull FC, Lock Lane
Liam Farrell Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Pats
Ryan Hall Leeds Rhinos, Oulton Raiders
Zak Hardaker Leeds Rhinos, Featherstone Lions
Gareth Hock Widnes Vikings, Wigan St Judes
Chris Hill Warrington Wolves, New Springs Lions
Jamie Jones-Buchanan Leeds Rhinos, Stanningley
Danny McGuire Leeds Rhinos, East Leeds
Michael McIlorum Wigan Warriors, Queens
Adrian Morley Warrington Wolves, Eccles
Lee Mossop Wigan Warriors, Hensingham
Richie Myler Warrington Wolves, Halton West Bank
Sean O’Loughlin Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks
Stefan Ratchford Warrington Wolves, Wigan St Patricks
James Roby St Helens, Blackbrook
Kevin Sinfield Leeds Rhinos, Waterhead
Danny Tickle Hull FC, Golborne Parkside
Sam Tomkins Wigan Warriors. Wigan St Patricks
Kallum Watkins Leeds Rhinos, Latchford Albion
Ben Westwood Warrington Wolves, Normanton
Jon Wilkin St Helens, East Hull

Harrigan

Juniors
So, split into positions you have;

Full backs: Tomkins, Hardaker
Wingers: Hall, Charnley, Briscoe, Cockayne
Centres: Watkins, Cudjoe, Ratchford
5/8s: Sinfield, Chase
Half backs: McGuire, Myler
Props: Crabtree, Mossop, Hill, Morley, Carvell
Hookers: Roby, Burrow, McIllorum
Back Rows: Ellis, Westwood, Hock, Jones-Buchanan, Farrell, Wilkin, Ablett, Tickle, O'Loughlin

Add the Aussie based Reed (Centre), Widdop (5/8), Graham (prop) S.Burgess (Back Row) and I think its the strongest squad England have had in a while.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I would put the halves together.

Agree that its a strong squad. But it will come down to their forwards defending with speed, fitness and slowing play down, backline getting deep close to line, and halves kicking well.

Harrigan

Juniors
If George Burgess isnt picked for England then there is something wrong. The kid is the best of the 4 brothers imo

Tom was supposed to be the best and was a beast of a kid playing in the ESL over the last 2 seasons. Im looking forward to seeing him get his chance at some point. I have no doubt that at least 3 of the 4 Burgess' will play for England together at some point in the near future.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Tom and George are twins yeah? Haven't seen any of Tom but if he is anything like George then they will surely play for England soon

Harrigan

Juniors
Yeah, Tom already has 46 games of first grade under his belt and played twice last year for the England Knights, the England development team.

McGuire at halfback with Widdop in the 6 has to be the halves. I really rate McGuire. He should be in the NRL. Tomkins, hall, Briscoe, reed, Charnley in the backs. Tom Burgess and Graham at prop, Gareth Ellis and Gareth Hock as second row and Sam Burgess at lock. Roby As Hooker. That is a strong side.

Bovrick

Juniors
I will be very surprised if a Burgess other than Sam will be good enough for the England team by the end of the year. Squad should be the aim if they each have a good season.

geordiesaint

Juniors
England team should be:

1. Tomkins/Hardaker/Lomax - all three as good as each other!
2. Lineham - massive bloke and very impressive in a poor Hull side (Briscoe is having a mare!)
3. Watkins
4. Reed
5. Hall
6. Widdop
7. Brough
8. G Burgess
9. Roby
10. Graham
11. Hock
12. Westwood
13. S Burgess

14. Burrow
15. Mossop
16. Crabtree
17. Ellis

Señor

Juniors
Bit surprised that Houghton missed out. Also don't know what McNamara is playing at with Tickle, Wilkin or JJB in the team. None of them are going to add anything to the squad and it sends the wrong message to good young players like Whitehead.

Señor

Juniors
At this stage I'd say the best England squad would be:

1. Sam Tomkins
2. Tom Briscoe
3. Jack Reed
4. Kallum Watkins
5. Ryan Hall
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Kevin Sinfield
8. Sam Burgess
9. James Roby
10. James Graham
11. Ben Westwood
12. Gareth Ellis
13. Sean O'Loughlin

14. Rob Burrow
15. Chris Hill
16. Eorl Crabtree
17. Gareth Hock

hutch

First Grade
Has jack Reed done enough to warrant selection? I think he has been poor this year and would hate to see him picked purely because he plays in the nrl.

Señor

Juniors
Has jack Reed done enough to warrant selection? I think he has been poor this year and would hate to see him picked purely because he plays in the nrl.

Not really. But besides Watkins I don't see any centre really demanding selection.

Yeaman would be great defensively and for his combination with Briscoe but his play in the 2011 FN was really poor.

Reed has the ability but he has to find some form otherwise he doesn't really deserve the position.

And Atkins shouldn't be close IMO. He is a big winger who has been moved into the centres on account of his power and athleticism. But even at SL level he looks ordinary in the centres a lot of the time. His defence is poor and he is as dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to decision-making in attack and defence. His play for England in the 2010 FN doesn't give me any hope that he'd step up for the World Cup either.

Latest posts