What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Now THIS means we are in the player market

"We are in the market for a playmaker now," Griffin said.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
One problem is it has come so late so there is less to choose from. At least the club now admits that the talent is not within. It's a step forward imo.

Chainshada

Juniors
Now THIS means we are in the player market

I hope he means that we're looking for a playmaker to play in the halves next year..not we're looking for a playmaker we can sit on the bench or reserve grade until Wallace/Prince's contracts are up..

Not too many options, Hodkinson, Morgan and Lui end of this year, Widdop, Milford and Drinkwater end of next.

unbreaK

Juniors
Now that Corey Norman is gone, Anthony Griffin has FINALLY admitted that the club is going to be looking outside of Brisbane for a "playmaker"

THE Broncos' chequebook is now open, with the club revealing they are chasing an NRL star following the departure of Corey Norman to Parramatta at the end of the season.

Broncos coach Anthony Griffin told News Limited yesterday the club will scour the NRL for the best playmaker available in 2014.

Likely targets include Cronulla five-eighth Todd Carney, Manly centre Jamie Lyon and Canterbury's young playmaker Josh Reynolds.

However, Norman's decision comes after Johnathan Thurston, Mitchell Pearce and Robbie Farah all re-signed in recent weeks.

Griffin said he would investigate the market immediately with fullbacks and halves topping the hitlist, without being drawn on specific individual targets.

"We prefer to recruit from within but with Corey leaving it will give us an opportunity to look outside.

"Obviously we need to replace him. We will look at our options and that includes going to the market.

"We have some good kids coming through but in the short term we have to look at all options.

"It will be a playmaker. Corey, long-term, was going to move back into the halves and so we are looking for someone who can do that and play fullback."

Source: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ace-corey-norman/story-e6frg6n6-1226605814565

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
However, Norman's decision comes after Johnathan Thurston, Mitchell Pearce and Robbie Farah all re-signed in recent weeks.

Thank f**k for that. Cheers for holding off Corey.

"It will be a playmaker. Corey, long-term, was going to move back into the halves and so we are looking for someone who can do that and play fullback."

^ sounds more and more like the Bogan...

Kiwi

First Grade
They should go hard for Carney or even Lyon, I don't think we should target Reynolds from the dogs.

unbreaK

Juniors
Thank f**k for that. Cheers for holding off Corey.

^ sounds more and more like the Bogan...

Dugan is meeting with Brisbane today at Red Hill, odds on it being him is probably 95%

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Hey guys, just did a bit of re-arranging of the threads and moved some posts (including mine), so apologies if you had to hunt around for your posts.

F_G sounds like he is onto something, but can Dugan actually play in the halves as well as fullback?

Chainshada

Juniors
IMO Broncos need to choose this year who our halves of the future will be..Re-sign Ben Hunt, or go for Trent Hodkinson who's been in reserve grade for a while, those will probably be the only options that don't break the bank..Then next year, with the money left by Prince and Wallace off-contract, throw some cash at a talented young kid..Drinkwater or Milford, or anyone else who shows a lot of promise in 13/14.

End of this year..

Re-sign:
Hunt
Gillett
Copley
Granville
Kahu
Timu

Let go:
Reed
Lui
Dodds

Buy:
Aiden Tolman

If we had

1. Dugan
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. Prince (2015 drop for Milford/Drinkwater)
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Wallace (2015 drop for Granville)
15. Gillett
16. Tolman
17. Timu/Hala

I'd probably be the most optimistic about a season in a long time.

DeeJ

Bench
F_G sounds like he is onto something, but can Dugan actually play in the halves as well as fullback?

He played some 6 for Canberra last year with all their injuries. If he comes here I don't see why he couldn't be our longterm fullback.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
If he comes here I don't see why he couldn't be our longterm fullback.

Yeah I agree but Hook said something about wanting someone that could do both. Maybe he wants Dugan at fullback short term but long term wants Hoffman/Kahu there which would push Dugan to the halves. I'm only speculating though.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
reynolds from the dogs is a good player !

I love Josh Reynolds too, he has a lot of agility and is a great runner of the ball, something we sorely lack at the Broncos. There are some suggestions that we also need a ballplayer, but I'd be very happy if J Reynolds was a Bronco.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I think we need to be looking at players for right now, but also into the future, especially in the halves.

I could be wrong but from what I have read from some educated posters, such as BP, that Cullen and Nikorima may not be our answer long term.

So I think as someone mentioned above we should also be looking at Drinkwater or Milford to boost our stocks for the future. Although I'd say Drinkwater will get his chance at first grade sooner rather than later since the Dragons are going so bad.

In my mind the Raiders have too much depth in the halves.

Kiwi

First Grade
I think we need to cut Gillett lose, we should have done that to keep Teo who is the better player and more consistent. Gillett seems to be our new Carlaw. I would rather see him gone now while we still have the likes of Timu, Hala, Oates, Molo on the books. I don't care if he goes to another club and plays the house down for the rest of his career, right now and for the last 12 months he has been Carlaw and should be moved on.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
f**king finally. Sign, sign, sign.

Man it would be a hell of a coup to snag Jamie Lyon or Josh Reynolds next year.

Last edited: