What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starkers

Bench
I'd be interested to see the average of the 5 games played at Bluetongue at the end of the season - you can bet it'll be higher than several NRL teams.
can't disagree there. people need to take a longer term view.

2012 avg 17,740
2011 avg 15,594
2010 avg 13,628
2009 avg 11,330

anyone see a trend there?

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Is there any strategy behind the games at blue tongue. ??

Involving coordination from the NRL administration, it appears that there's little to none. The NRL needs to be looking at all these areas that don't have permanent teams and coordinating the matches to maximise the results.

can't disagree there. people need to take a longer term view.

2012 avg 17,740
2011 avg 15,594
2010 avg 13,628
2009 avg 11,330

anyone see a trend there?

#NRLincrisisoncentralcoast

The Central Coast averages are better than a number of Sydney teams.

miccle

Bench
Some ridiculous notions in the above... suggesting based on last night's crowd alone (weeknight, poured rain all game) there's no basis for a CC team.

Agreed there were some ridiculous notions in the above that you quoted.

But by far the most ridiculous is the claim of it being a weeknight game FFS :crazy:

Anyway, I'm going to head to Suncorp tonight because I'm an absolute masochist. Hoping that we can nudge 40, and would love to see the Dogs/Souths crowd completely embarrass ours up here... 80k+ across both games today would be awesome.

applesauce

Bench
So by that reasoning western Sydney with it's recent poor crowds is just 'pretending' to be RL heartland.

No, CC fans proclaim the CC is RL heartland.

WS is spoilt for choice, CC should be sending a message loud and clear to the ARLC by turning up.

When the Broncos don't make the finals this year (and maybe next) the crowds will plummet and suddenly it won't look as attractive in regards to "put a team here it will thrive".

The CC have a chance right now IMO to BE the safe expansion team (Perth the 'unsafe' for lack of a better word).

Starkers

Bench
i think given it was the night before easter makes it a great crowd on the CC. the mariners average less than that this year and they've been leading the comp for most of the season. their crowd tomorrow night should make interesting reading.

anyway, richo has weighed into the debate: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...dwindling-crowds/story-e6frexnr-1226608695569

can't believe the author claims NRL crowds are dwindling!?! they've been steady for five seasons with no real plan at all. great effort in my opinion. if a decent plan is actually put forward then we'll see crowds go up.

all this amid the wanderers hype as well. they've only averaged 12,466 at parra stadium. good for a first year but there'd be heaps of bandwagons given how well they're going.

docbrown

Coach
CC should be sending a message loud and clear to the ARLC by turning up.

Yes. But it shouldn't be forgotten that they're not turning up for a Bears match or for a Central Coast home game. They're turning up for a game basically involving two neutral clubs that have no interest in long term investment in the local area. It might be different if say Manly were looking to relocate, then the crowd might be a stronger reflection of the local fans willing to support that club if it moved. Not that I'm dismissing crowds entirely they are important but they're not necessarily the be-all-and-end-all indicator of future Bears sustainability.

Is a Wests Tigers fan that shows up for the match thinking to themselves 'If I attend this match then the Central Coast are more likely to get a team' or are they thinking 'It's just a Tigers match that happens to be in my area'. No doubt that fans that think the latter will turn up to a potential Bears vs Tigers game at Gosford as away fans and some might potentially convert and become Central Coast fans. If the NRL were serious about having the right information when it comes to deciding upon expansion they'd be surveying these people before and after they attended game in these new markets.

But the Bears organisation has no involvement in scheduling or promoting this match nor if they did would they gain any short term profit. Basically it would be strange to expect a group that have had no support from the NRL and no indication of future announcements to throw away resources to benefit two Sydney clubs who to date have shown no interest in supporting the Bears expansion campaign.

If the NRL want to see if the Bears outfit can run a club then give them the marketing budget for all the games played at Gosford. Let the Bears be in charge of promoting them. Do the same in Perth & Brisbane and wherever else. Then you'll see some real action.

Billythekid

First Grade
It was a rainy Thursday night featuring 2 neutral teams right before easter weekend. How the hell can you point to that one crowd as evidence that the CC aren't deserving of a team? Some people are really showing their bias here.

Danish

Referee
Crowd looks pretty awesome on TV at ANZ. If the top level is open then that would surely confirm well over 40,000.

Well done to both clubs :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.