What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashes squad

Timbo

Staff member
There will be very few changes from India.

If I were head selector though, and assuming a squad of 17 like India:

1-Cowan
2-Warner
3-Hughes
4-Clarke (c)
5-Smith
6-Watson (vc)
7-Haddin (k)
8-O'Keefe
9-Starc
10-Siddle
11-Pattinson

12-Bird
13-Faulkner
14-Hilfenhaus
15-Nevill (k)
16-Khawaja
17-Lyon

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Mickey Mouse has already said there will not be wholesale changes as the players we took to India are the best we have

:crazy: :^o

unbreaK

Juniors
Was discussing it yesterday with my old man; the team I'd probably send would be -

1) Cowan
2) Hughes
3) Burns
4) Clarke (c)
5) Khawaja
6) Watson (vc)
7) Hartley
8) Starc
9) Siddle
10) Pattinson
11) Lyon

12) Warner
13) S.Smith
14) Bird
15) Harris
16) Wade
17) O'Keefe

Only reason I picked Hughes ahead of Warner is because Warner played awful in India (Mainly against quicks), and I think Hughes is a far superior player of swing / pace bowling than he is (Let's just hope he's got his eye in by the time Swann comes on)

Red Bear

Referee
I would happily pick Chris Rogers as a batsmen, best opener in the country at the moment, but that wont happen. I would also happily pick Joe Burns but that's unlikely to happen. Faulkner isnt quite strong enough with the bat (at this point) to go in as an all rounder, but im not against picking him. Wouldnt pick Shane Watson unless bowling. Not convinced by Khawaja. So if we picked what I wanted to see it would be

After the second Indian test I said
Batsmen
Michael Clarke (c)
Ed Cowan
Dave Warner
Alex Doolan
Usman Khawaja
Chris Rogers/Burns (will almost certainly be Hughes)

All Rounders
Moises Henriques
Shane Watson

Keepers
Matthew Wade
Chris Hartley

Fast Bowlers
James Pattinson
Peter Siddle
Jackson Bird
Ryan Harris
Ben Hilfenhaus

Spinners
Nathan Lyon
Steve O'Keefe

First test team

Warner
Cowan
Khawaja
Clarke (c)
Doolan
Henriques (Watson if he decides to bowl)
Hartley
Pattinson
Siddle
Lyon
Bird

Doolans lost form though and as I said Rogers wont be chosen, so chuck in Burns and Hughes, I guess. They're our best five fast bowlers for the conditions/abilities shown so far. I think Henriques will go well if he gets another shot in England, he did alright in India and was unfortunate with a couple of dismissals after his first test.

Steve Smith probably figures as well actually, although I dont trust him against the moving ball as I do on a spinners wicket

TheParraboy

Staff member
My 1st test side to play in the 2013 ashes series in England

Cowan
Warner
Ponting
Khawaja
Clarke
Watson (must be able to bowl a few)
Haddin (averages over 46 in england, best record than anywhere else)
Okeefe
Pattinson
Siddle
Harris

vvvrulz

Coach
Warner
Cowan
Khawaja
Clarke
Watson
Smith
Hartley
O'Keefe
Starc
Pattinson
Siddle

But of course madness will prevail and we'll see Wade, Hughsey, X and Big Shyte in the squad.

caylo

Bench
I'm have no idea who I would bat at 6 but someone needs to stand up soon. Warner and Cowan are not a god opening pair but the best we have and Watson I would drop until he finds some form.

Warner, Cowan, Hughes, Clarke, Khawaja, henriques, Wade, Pattinson, Starc, Siddle, lyon:
backup batsmen: doolan, Smith (terrible list of batsmen tbh)
Backup alrounder: Faulkner
Backup bowlers: Harris, Hilf (wouldn't mind them taking a younger guy like hazlewood)
Backup spinner: Okeefe

Batsmen: Hughes, Cowan, Warner, Khawaja, Clarke, S Smith, Burns/Doolan
All-Rounders: Faulkner, Watson
W/K: Wade
Quicks: Siddle, Pattinson, Bird, Harris, Starc
Spinners: Lyon, O'Keefe

Smokies: Sandhu, Silk, Agar, young chap by name of Ponting who was named Sheffield Shield Player of the Year

First Test Team:

Cowan
Warner
Hughes
Clarke
Khawaja
Watson (IF and only IF he can bowl) otherwise S Smith or Bird
Wade
Faulkner
O'Keefe
Siddle
Pattinson/Harris

12th Man: Bird (to play a few tests when the inevitable injury strikes Pattinson or Harris)

Faulkner is good enough to get into the side on his bowling alone. Bolsters our possibly weak batting line-up. Same with O'Keefe.

Harris is our best quick, but is way too prone.

Watson will play a key role, only if he bowls. I consider his bowling to be top class. His batting much less so.

Gas Panic!

First Grade
I'd like to see something like:

Clarke
Warner
Cowan
Hughes
Smith
Burns
Khawaja

Watson
Henriques

Wade
Nevill

Pattinson
Siddle
Bird
Starc
Harris

Lyon
O'Keefe

I'd almost consider leaving Smith out altogether, and ensuring he gets a county gig. Get Agar and Sandhu over there playing too.

bazza

Referee
First test team something like:

Warner
Cowan
Hughes
Clarke
Smith
Khawaja
Wade/Haddin
Siddle
Pattinson
Lyon
Bird/Starc/Harris

Watson in for Smith or Khawaja if he bowls
O'Keefe and another batsmen to the squad

African Monkey

First Grade
Would it be worth giving Chris Rogers a go in the ashes? The guy has 58 FC centuries and a lot of those would have come in English conditions and although he is very old (which shouldn't matter anyway as you always pick your best players but most of the time it always seems to be about the future as opposed to the present), surely he is better than some of the others that have been mentioned.

Timbo

Staff member
Would it be worth giving Chris Rogers a go in the ashes? The guy has 58 FC centuries and a lot of those would have come in English conditions and although he is very old (which shouldn't matter anyway as you always pick your best players but most of the time it always seems to be about the future as opposed to the present), surely he is better than some of the others that have been mentioned.

I have heard worse ideas.

RHCP

Bench
Chris Rogers wouldn't be a bad choice. He has a lot of experience in England and his first class stats aren't half bad.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Huge failure when he was given a go in Perth, 7 and a duck from memory in one test match.

Red Bear

Referee
Huge failure when he was given a go in Perth, 7 and a duck from memory in one test match.
one test match ffs. Hussey failed in his first test and turned out alright, Waugh took 30 odd tests to make a ton etc

Writing someone off based on one test is ridiculous

Now Rogers time has probably past, but as I mentioned earlier I wouldnt mind him being picked, was probably the best bat in the Shield this year

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
rather see a young bloke get a go rather some one who would proabaly never play again

Latest posts