What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jharal Yow Yeh interview

aqua_duck

Coach
I fear if he does return he'll be a mere shadow of the player he was. As a winger speed, footwork and aerial ability are probably the 3 most important aspects, I doubt he'll ever contest high kicks like he use to, and his speed and footwork will probably never be the same again. I hope I'm wrong but I think it could be a Chris Lawrencre type scenario where he's just not the same player anymore after a horrific injury

Tommy Smith

Referee
Agreed.

Outside of running backs in the NFL i can't think of a team sport which applies as much torque and stress upon the lower legs and ankles of its athletes. Particularly so for wingers as it involves a lot of twisting, turning and accelerating at speed whilst also being smashed by 100kg athletes.

And given that, it'll take a special effort just for Yow Yeh to psychologically give 100% into every challenge. Because that's what he'll have to do in order to make it back into the NRL. You can't hide or hold back in any aspect or you'll be found out.

A trundle in park footy is a whole world away from the speed and force of the NRL. I know how hard it is to overcome an ACL, let alone a snapped lower leg with 8 surgeries to fix it.

unbreaK

Juniors
I would suggest maybe bulking up a bit and being a backrower in the future, but he probably wouldn't get a run with Glenn, Gillett and Parker in the side.

Dazzat

First Grade
It will just take time. There is no reason he can't get back to normal - the medico's have said as much. But it will take time for everything to mend - physical and emotional.

Top marks to the Broncos for sticking with the kid. Hopefully he's using the time wisely to look at life outside of footy and turning what looks like a negative into a positive.

Hooch

Juniors
He's already giving it everything but he is clearly chronically injured - cannot compete as a top level athlete when he has difficulty running. He will not heal much more at this point.

His career as he knew it is is over - but he can appreciate exercise and living a mostly normal life with what i hope is minimal pain.

Dazzat

First Grade
He's already giving it everything but he is clearly chronically injured - cannot compete as a top level athlete when he has difficulty running. He will not heal much more at this point.

His career as he knew it is is over - but he can appreciate exercise and living a mostly normal life with what i hope is minimal pain.

Thank you Dr Hooch. Unfortunately your second opinion differs from that of professionals.

Hooch

Juniors
It's been a long time and a lot of surgery, and he still isn't even close. He has a permanent limp. Figure it out for yourself dickhead.

Dazzat

First Grade
It's been a long time and a lot of surgery, and he still isn't even close. He has a permanent limp. Figure it out for yourself dickhead.

Thank you Mr Hooch. You know I always like to learn new things.

I have now learned that a limp of less than two years is "permanent".

Thank you for sharing your medical expertise here on League Unlimited. Most people have to pay big dollars for the advise of experts but you ... sharing free of charge.

blaza88z

Coach

Why do you need to state it in such a manner which makes you seem like a world class dickhead?

Also, how can you be so sure he will not heal much more? what sort of medical documentations do you have access to that can make you so sure he will never heal and be in a position to play first grade again.

There is no doubt right now he isn't fit and his limp is a major concern but there's no need to phrase it the way you did.

Now, f**k off.

Dazzat

First Grade
I must admit I once thought Ben Ross would never play again. When you're dealing with a stuffed neck, completely different ball game than a factured leg.

But Ben Ross is in his second full season with the Sharks and playing decent football.

Another example - Brent Tate after three knee reconstructions played all three Origin games last year.

Can't wait for Yow Yeh to prove all the naysayers wrong. And guess what ... Hooch will probably be down the front row of Suncorp Stadium saying, "I told you he'd be back".

AceAv

Juniors
That was well dealt with up there Blaz & Daz. Everyone just want's to sound like an expert at these things and then get majorly offended when you call them out!>?

Anyhow. I have high hopes for YY... Hopefully we can see some footage of him playing soon.

broncos4life

Juniors
Thank you Mr Hooch. You know I always like to learn new things.

I have now learned that a limp of less than two years is "permanent".

Thank you for sharing your medical expertise here on League Unlimited. Most people have to pay big dollars for the advise of experts but you ... sharing free of charge.

I'm so glad that Hooch has felt the need to share his extensive medical knowledge, and of course it is obvious that if you are not back on the field after a year and one month you will never be back.

As for the fact that he will have a permanent limp, this will be disappointing news to one of my mates. He injured his ankle playing union about 6 years ago, had a distinct limp for close on three years but now has no limp and is back playing union. He will be shocked to learn this information but of course the medical knowledge of Hooch is beyond question. Maybe if I don't tell him his limp won't return? whats your opinion on the Dr Hooch?

Dazzat

First Grade
Give Hooch some time ... I believe he has to consult his bong before he replies.