What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2013 NSW side

looks like he'll go

Hayne
B.Morris
jennings
J.Morris
Ferguson
Carney/Maloney
Pearce
Gallen
Farrah
Tamou
Bird
Watmough
Merrin

Lewis
T.Sims
Grant
Fifita

that's not too bad actually... for me I wouldn't have had merrin there or more importantly pearce but meh, still pretty good.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Apparently this is going to be the team:

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Jennings
5. Ferguson
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Hoffman
12. Bird
13. Lewis

14. Gidley
15. Watmough
16. Merrin
17. Fifita

RHCP

Bench
Sutton is one of the most damaging players in the game right now. He would add a ton to the squad
Perhaps but what would he add from the bench? 'Utility value'? We don't need a guy like Sutton on the bench with Lewis in the team.

Last edited:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Sutton is one of the most damaging players in the game right now. He would add a ton to the squad

Yes behind the world's best pack and with Inglis helping..pity he won't have that help in Origin with a pack being equal and Hayne is not Greg Inglis!

timka4

Bench
I don't get the hate with Gallen playing prop, if anything he is better there, that way he doesn't interfere with the ball playing which he is terrible at imo. As long as they play him reasonable minutes (40-50) it'll be perfect

watatank

Coach
Apparently this is going to be the team:

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Jennings
5. Ferguson
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Hoffman
12. Bird
13. Lewis

14. Gidley
15. Watmough
16. Merrin
17. Fifita

Yep, I think this will be the 17 players named. We might have a situation where Merrin or Watmough starts and Hoffman plays off the bench or something like that but otherwise that's who will play.

D

Deleted member 10972

Not too sure about the backline, but re: the forwards...

Just looking over the more successful forward pack combinations we have had over the past few years. I think the starting pack almost picks itself, and it should be:

Tamou
Farah
Gallen
Watmough
Lewis
Bird

The bench is a bit up in the air.

- Firstly, Merrin is a definite. He has size, strength, strong workrate, can find his way to the line, can play front or backrow, and has a great offload
- As for the two props, well, last year we essentially used Creagh alongside as a bench prop which didn't work in our favor. This year, on form, the two spots should at this point be a toss up between Fifita, Woods, Grant and Mannah. All four have ended up showing more than the much-lauded Country Origin props of recent years (Tolman, TLL, Weyman, Snowden, White, Douglas, Sims, Hunt) and have equal cases warranting selection
- Finally, as for a utility, we can either field a hooker/halves utility in the Sh*tley/McCrone style, or we can field a dynamic backrower, like Graham or Glenn Stewart

Doomednow

Bench
Reserving judgment till its confirmed but what the actual f**k is with NSW selectors making dumb picks year in year out?

Hutty1986

Immortal
Merrin & Fifita should be certainties, and Woods would be pretty bloody unlucky to miss out. It's going to be an outstanding pack if Daley actually picks the right blokes, with a cracking back-line (as long as there's no Merritt). B. Moz might be a late inclusion v Penrith tomorrow night so hopefully the Brothers Neckless can run riot in game one