What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoiler: Cowboys

BunniesMan

Immortal
When we say "great on paper" about a core group that is doing below expectations for years, maybe it's time to get rid of the paper and re-evaluate.

They are carrying a number of players that are 30+. Thurston has clocked up a lot of miles over many years as well. They really only have 2 star players in their prime in Scott and Tamou.

In general it's a very poorly constructed roster.

And let's not forget Thurston has never won a premiership as a starter in his life, despite having a lot of talent around him throughout his career. He's overrated at club level.

He has gotten his reputation for greatness from playing and winning for Queensland and Australia in David v Goliath rep games, where his team is always Goliath.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
It has never ceased to amaze me how Neil Henry has escaped criticism from the RL public. He is the number one reason why NQ are playing so poorly and have failed to reach their potential over the last couple of years.

Has proven himself unable to develop young players, has no idea how to coach halfbacks, allows his attack to be completely dictated by Thurston - a player who needs strong direction, cannot motivate his football sides and makes ridiculous player selections.

Not saying the man is without strengths nor has poor character, but he is not up to first grade coaching standard.

The club needs to look elsewhere if it wishes to be a premiership contender.

some11

Referee
He has gotten his reputation for greatness from playing and winning for Queensland and Australia in David v Goliath rep games, where his team is always Goliath.

Umm, he is a big part of the reason why they are 'Goliath' teams.

Sir Biffo

Bench
The hookers are two of the worst going around in the NRL.

Id play Bowen off the bench in a utility role as a hooker for 20 mins a game, as he's having bugger all impact at fullback and try and get someone else into starting hooker immediatley because Kostjacyn or however you spell it is still probably out on Leichardt Oval trying to throw a pass he's that slow.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Umm, he is a big part of the reason why they are 'Goliath' teams.
DCE is better than any halves player NSW, England or NZ have. If DCE slotted in for Thurston Qld and Oz would still be Goliath.

Yes he plays his part well but it's pretty easy to earn a great reputation playing alongside 4 potential immortals in Smith, Lockyer, Slater and Inglis.

He is a very good player who has a reputation as a great player when he clearly doesn't belong in the same category as the true greats.

BunniesMan

Immortal
It has never ceased to amaze me how Neil Henry has escaped criticism from the RL public. He is the number one reason why NQ are playing so poorly and have failed to reach their potential over the last couple of years.

Has proven himself unable to develop young players, has no idea how to coach halfbacks, allows his attack to be completely dictated by Thurston - a player who needs strong direction, cannot motivate his football sides and makes ridiculous player selections.

Not saying the man is without strengths nor has poor character, but he is not up to first grade coaching standard.

The club needs to look elsewhere if it wishes to be a premiership contender.
He's won only 50 out of 109 games for NQLD. If he had that win % while coaching the same amount of big name players in a Sydney or Brisbane club he'd be sacked by now. The media doesn't spend much time talking about the cowboys. It's the only reason he has survived 5 seasons.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Even wallowing over how hapless the Broncos are at the moment, at least I can take stock in knowing we're the best of QLD right now.

The fact that that's not saying much is an indictment on all 3 clubs.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Thurston clearly only gives a shit about footy from the start of June til midway through July

Tamou and scott have been poor this year, sims and taulamolo haven't kicked on, Bowen is well past it, rest of the squad is pretty terrible anyway

aqua_duck

Coach
Honestly why is Taumalolo playing qld cup? He's looked dangerous when he's played this year. If the cowboys don't want him I'm sure thered be quite a few teams interested

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
They don't hold the ball and they miss tackles.

Simple. They lack any type of the toughness required to win comps.

They are soft.

elyod138

Bench
Honestly why is Taumalolo playing qld cup? He's looked dangerous when he's played this year. If the cowboys don't want him I'm sure thered be quite a few teams interested

He isn't playing because of personal reasons. He has been in Brisbane with his family for the past couple of weeks because a relative is sick and before that his good friend passed away.

Any irony that thier form since Thurston re-signed has been poor? I look at them each week and think they should be top 4 or 8 and yet away from Townsville, they look like they are going through the motions

Frailty

First Grade
How exactly are the Cows great on paper? Rory Kostjasyn is one of the worst players ever,Ash Graham is a plodder,Thurston,Bowen,Tate and Johnson are all washed up,there halfbacks are tards,there English hooker is a tard,Glenn Hall and Gavin Cooper are Aussie Battlers,can't be bothered going on

I love the internet...

mongoose

Coach
Cowboys have been the most disappointing team for some years now. Henry is not the super coach many thought he would become and seems to always fly under the radar. His teams are soft - can't defend their line and cant win away from home. Was the same at the Raiders.

Cowboys may still make a run and get into the top 8 but they won't win a game outside of Townsville.

MSIH

Bench
I feared for the Cowboys after the way they handled their loss in last years Semi. Instead of realising they had a lot of work to do to win a Comp, all they wanted to do was blame the Ref and complain about how hard done by they were. They seemed to forget that they were losing pretty convincingly when they copped that dodgy call anyway.

That said, I didn't think they'd be struggling this much.

Latest posts