What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOO 13 Game 1: Official NSW Squad

chrisD

Coach
What we can assume is that Daley believes he has the 80 minutes covered in those 16 selections and that the 17th is a bonus.

Timbo

Staff member
What we can assume is that Daley believes he has the 80 minutes covered in those 16 selections and that the 17th is a bonus.

Was it Ken McGuinness that got selected for origin once off the bench and never made it onto the field?

BranVan3000

Coach
Both players have been playing outstanding club footy for nearly 2 years. Try watching some footy before commenting pal

Same goes for Sutton

I don't get why Carney wouldn't be the utility choice. If Sutton is chosen it just proves that there is no consistency at all in Daleys thinking. Carney can play all spine positions and on the wing

chrisD

Coach
Same goes for Sutton

I don't get why Carney wouldn't be the utility choice. If Sutton is chosen it just proves that there is no consistency at all in Daleys thinking. Carney can play all spine positions and on the wing

Yeah you're right, he picked Gidley in the first place and the truest replacement for Gidley would be Carney.

On the other hand, supposedly multiple people pick the team, and Daley is probably more likely to be coerced than our previous coaches, so in that regards some inconsistency is somewhat understandable.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Both players have been playing outstanding club footy for nearly 2 years. Try watching some footy before commenting pal

Nearly 2 years? So he was dropped after round 1 for what 2 weeks? Then came back only to be injured for 3 was it. hmm hardly had a solid even 10 weeks of footy behind him.

On Fifita so why no City Country last year? Even Allgood got a run

http://rleague.com/news/2012-City-v-Country-Teams_78489/

Both have been good this year but hardly the sustained that say Merritt or Woods or Grant have.

Raider_69

Post Whore
If Ferguson doesnt tear the Storm a new asshole he isnt even in the frame for origin one.

that may be the case, but it doesnt change the fact Blake Ferguson has been playing outstanding football for a long time now. It's not as if he's some blow in who no one knew of until this year

In fact if you read back on last year's thread, I, amongst others were suggesting he was a bolter (not that he should be picked mind you, but considered) for last year's team because his form was good and he had an x-factor about him which other backs didnt have

BranVan3000

Coach
I wanted Sutton so we would have an xfactor off the bench but seeing Fifita last night, he has that xfactor right now. If Daley is being consistent then Carney as a utility makes the most sense

D

Deleted member 10972

Picking Carney on the bench would be stupid. He can really only play halfback and five-eighth, with fullback at a pinch.

If we want a five-eighth who can also play centre/backrow adequately, then Sutton is the go. If we want a backrower who can also play centre/five-eighth adequately, then Graham or Mateo would be the go.

All three have good ball skills, size, strength, an offload, and ability to create havoc anywhere on the field.

Would definitely prefer Grant, Woods or Mannah over Hoffman though. No problem with Gallen at prop, but we are still a prop short. Watmough should be starting.

Merrin isn't a prop. It is very obvious now that he has become accustomed to first grade. He is a sizeable lock, but a lock nonetheless.

Gallen
Farah
Tamou
Watmough
Lewis
Bird

Graham/Sutton/Mateo
Merrin
Fifita
Grant/Woods/Mannah

That is definitely the way to go. I know I mentioned it before, but I find it strange that less than a year ago it was a bit beyond a joke that the Country forward pack had far more depth than the City pack, and yet not with the rapid emergence of Woods, Grant, Fifita and Tamou (along with the stagnation of Weyman, Snowden, White, Hunt, TLL, and to a lesser extent Tolman), the City props are the first choices.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Bird can play 5/8 ffs. He's done it before, including this year. He's also won a MotM in Origin playing 6. Why do we need halves cover on the bench?

franklin2323

Immortal
that may be the case, but it doesnt change the fact Blake Ferguson has been playing outstanding football for a long time now. It's not as if he's some blow in who no one knew of until this year

In fact if you read back on last year's thread, I, amongst others were suggesting he was a bolter (not that he should be picked mind you, but considered) for last year's team because his form was good and he had an x-factor about him which other backs didnt have

For every 4 good games he has. He has 2 shockers. Someone like Michael Gordon or Merritt are more consistant have been for 3-4 years and don't get in

Sleep

Juniors
So they haven't picked anyone yet and the Sutton/Graham rumours were fruitless. Gallen has made it known he wants another big and I think that would be the way to go. Especially with QLD going small too.

betcats

Referee

Well it depends what you class as "outstanding" doesnt it. If by "outstanding" you mean good enough to get picked for rep origin or Australia then no he hasnt been playing outstanding for a long time.

And him being talked up as a bolter is irrelevant as he plays for canberra, you guys talk up Jarrod Choker for origin every year lol.

I'm not taking anything away fro his selection, I wanted him picked too but the kid is super talented, if he was only being talked up as a bolter last season he wasnt playing outstanding.

Latest posts