What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Rothfield

undertaker

Coach
Not that the majority of people on this forum didn't know that, but as I listened to Triple M's "The Offload" pre-game show this afternoon, it really hit home exactly how scummy he - along with the majority of other Daily Telegraph RL writers are - really is.

For those who didn't listen, at approximately 1:45pm, Dan Ginnane spilled the beans and divulged on the reason why there had been a lot of criticism against Triple M's RL coverage from the Daily Telegraph. According to Dan, it all started when Triple M was on the verge of winning the NRL commercial radio rights (well, at least being able to co-broadcast alongside 2GB) on the night of the Mundine-Beale boxing match, which Dan and Slothfield were both present. They were apparently "friends" at the time and met each other at the event. Given Slothfield loves a scoop, Dan thought he would help his 'friend' out and let him know in advance of the impending announcement from the NRL and Slothfield seemed all excited, knowing he was going to be the first to break the news. However, Dan went further and mentioned of Triple M's commentary line-up which he had been in discussion with Triple M management. THAT is where things changed...

Weeks after that, still no write-up from Slothfield and when Dan called him, Slothfield replied "Yeah, I'm ok", didn't say much and then ended the call. Slothfield not long after this signed with 2GB.

It was eventually revealed that Slothfield was extremely pissed off at Ginnane and Triple M because he wasn't considered for their commentary team. And ever since he signed with 2GB (where he's at home with other News Ltd hacks such as Raaaaaaaaaay) - which are Triple M's commercial rival - this explains the reason why he - and other writers like Andrew Webster who did that write-up on Ginnane refusing to call Robert Lui's name (which now has been revealed to be blown way out of proportion since it was resolved weeks ago after Ginnane spoke to Cowboy's management and backed down after he realised that he'd be putting unwanted attention on Lui's partner and child if he followed through on his initial intention. And unlike Webster reporting that Ginnane backed down because of NRL management, Ginnane said he had not been approached nor told by them anything regarding the issue) - has taken a myriad of potshots at Triple M in his columns. Andrew Webster, who was on the panel whilst Ginnane was discussing this, became quiet given that it was his colleague.

I believe that Slothfield did the exact same dummy spit with 2SM. He loves bagging out Graeme Hughes et al. at every opportunity but Hughes'show and how the show never rates etc. when it was revealed by Hughes that Slothfield's pot shots all started after Slothfield HIMSELF approached Hughes and wanted his own segment on Talkin' Sport (or something along those lines), to which he was rejected.

Given that the Daily Telegraph have started charging people recently for their online newspaper and you cannot access it if you don't have an account, I for one am extremely happy that I can't access it and don't regret it one bit. I just have to laugh when people like Paul Kent start crying about why a lot of NRL players are reluctant to talk to the media etc. etc. Well PAUL, have you ever thought about the reason why people like Wayne Bennett, Benji Marshall, Brett Stewart etc. have been the way they have been towards you lot? You guys really need to take a large look in the mirror. And after hearing what Ginnane said today - as well as other recent incidents such as the DT implicating Jon Mannah with HGH use - I feel sorry for any players or coaches that choose to deal with this mob. It will be a glorious day if the Daily Telegraph suffers the same fate as News of the World in the UK.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
phil-rothfield.jpg

Come on beetroot face. Do what you know how to do best and down another five schooners whilst you're at it

NrlCoach

Juniors
Not that the majority of people on this forum didn't know that, but as I listened to Triple M's "The Offload" pre-game show this afternoon, it really hit home exactly how scummy he - along with the majority of other Daily Telegraph RL writers are - really is.

For those who didn't listen, at approximately 1:45pm, Dan Ginnane spilled the beans and divulged on the reason why there had been a lot of criticism against Triple M's RL coverage from the Daily Telegraph. According to Dan, it all started when Triple M was on the verge of winning the NRL commercial radio rights (well, at least being able to co-broadcast alongside 2GB) on the night of the Mundine-Beale boxing match, which Dan and Slothfield were both present. They were apparently "friends" at the time and met each other at the event. Given Slothfield loves a scoop, Dan thought he would help his 'friend' out and let him know in advance of the impending announcement from the NRL and Slothfield seemed all excited, knowing he was going to be the first to break the news. However, Dan went further and mentioned of Triple M's commentary line-up which he had been in discussion with Triple M management. THAT is where things changed...

Weeks after that, still no write-up from Slothfield and when Dan called him, Slothfield replied "Yeah, I'm ok", didn't say much and then ended the call. Slothfield not long after this signed with 2GB.

It was eventually revealed that Slothfield was extremely pissed off at Ginnane and Triple M because he wasn't considered for their commentary team. And ever since he signed with 2GB (where he's at home with other News Ltd hacks such as Raaaaaaaaaay) - which are Triple M's commercial rival - this explains the reason why he - and other writers like Andrew Webster who did that write-up on Ginnane refusing to call Robert Lui's name (which now has been revealed to be blown way out of proportion since it was resolved weeks ago after Ginnane spoke to Cowboy's management and backed down after he realised that he'd be putting unwanted attention on Lui's partner and child if he followed through on his initial intention. And unlike Webster reporting that Ginnane backed down because of NRL management, Ginnane said he had not been approached nor told by them anything regarding the issue) - has taken a myriad of potshots at Triple M in his columns. Andrew Webster, who was on the panel whilst Ginnane was discussing this, became quiet given that it was his colleague.

I believe that Slothfield did the exact same dummy spit with 2SM. He loves bagging out Graeme Hughes et al. at every opportunity but Hughes'show and how the show never rates etc. when it was revealed by Hughes that Slothfield's pot shots all started after Slothfield HIMSELF approached Hughes and wanted his own segment on Talkin' Sport (or something along those lines), to which he was rejected.

Given that the Daily Telegraph have started charging people recently for their online newspaper and you cannot access it if you don't have an account, I for one am extremely happy that I can't access it and don't regret it one bit. I just have to laugh when people like Paul Kent start crying about why a lot of NRL players are reluctant to talk to the media etc. etc. Well PAUL, have you ever thought about the reason why people like Wayne Bennett, Benji Marshall, Brett Stewart etc. have been the way they have been towards you lot? You guys really need to take a large look in the mirror. And after hearing what Ginnane said today - as well as other recent incidents such as the DT implicating Jon Mannah with HGH use - I feel sorry for any players or coaches that choose to deal with this mob. It will be a glorious day if the Daily Telegraph suffers the same fate as News of the World in the UK.
Great post. the NRL should ban these merkins from appearing in anything that is related to rugby league
4-the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

Burwood

Bench
Journalism isn't about the news anymore- it's about the journalists. Why do they think anybody cares about their petty agendas against journalists from other publications?

Bring on the NRL Media Unit!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
tl;dr News Ltd. and their journos are scumbags who deserve a pine cone straight up the arse.

By pine cone do you mean grenade? What a selve serving prick. Before I came to Australia I had no idea the media could be as low as what the telegraph is.

RHCP

Bench
What's with their dickhead nicknames? 'Buzz' and 'Bulldog' and the like. f**k off merkins your names are Phil and Dean and you wrote ABOUT the news, YOU are not the news.

undertaker

Coach
What's with their dickhead nicknames? 'Buzz' and 'Bulldog' and the like. f**k off merkins your names are Phil and Dean and you wrote ABOUT the news, YOU are not the news.

Very easy to see why this person is called Bulldog:

047466-dean-ritchie-blog-head.jpg

BD-4.jpg

undertaker

Coach
By pine cone do you mean grenade? What a selve serving prick. Before I came to Australia I had no idea the media could be as low as what the telegraph is.

They are really damaging the legacy of the-late Peter Frilingos, who was a reputable reporter and a rare pearl in an oyster at the Telegraph. He was also one of the reasons why I enjoyed listening to the Continuous Call Team when I was new to RL back in the mid '90s.

Unfortunately, his breed of journalism has died and now we are infiltrated with the likes of Slothfield and his mob from the Telegraph, as well as Weidler and his mob from SMH.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Great post. the NRL should ban these merkins from appearing in anything that is related to rugby league
4-the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

And I agree with you. I would really love to see Dave Smith build some courage and really stick it up to the likes of people like Hadley, Rothfield etc., just like Gallop had Gus Gould suspended from Ch9 for his comments in the aftermath of the SBW controversy in 2008 and John Ribot being a major reason behind Hadley being sacked the first time from Ch9 in 1996.

Last edited:

Patorick

Staff member
http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg...ytelegraph/comments/how_the_nrl_coaches_rate/

Phil Rothfield

Monday, February 14, 2011 (5:43pm)

Today I rank the coaches in the NRL and reveal which one will be sacked first in 2011.
Join me from 1pm and let me know what you think.
Send questions and comments now
1 – Wayne Bennett (Dragons)
2 – Steve Kearney (Eels)
3 – Craig Bellamy (Storm)
4 – Des Hasler (Sea Eagles)
5 – John Cartwright (Titans)
6 – David Furner (Raiders)
7 – Kevin Moore (Bulldogs)
8 – Tim Sheens (Tigers)
9 – Matt Elliott (Panthers)
10 – Shane Flanagan (Sharks)
11 – Ivan Cleary (Warriors)
12 – Brian Smith (Roosters)
13 – Rick Stone Knights
14 – Neil Henry (Cowboys)
15 – John Lang (Rabbitohs)
16 – Ivan Henjak (Broncos)

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I'm glad somebody took the time to post this. I was coming on to do it now.

I was driving along listening to this. The Robert Lui bit was interesting and when it turned to Phil Rothfield and his 2GB allegiance it was became fascinating stuff. He wanted to be on the MMM call team and didn't get an offer. So he switched sides secretly and started bagging them out without telling them why...

As I said in another thread, I listen to the MMM call when I'm out and about on the weekends or Monday nights. I think they do a bloody good job. The whole discussion today was a frank and honest as I have heard from a person on League Radio. I'm glad they took the time to explain how it really is. While I realise this is only their prospective, it was really easy to understand based on the way the DT, 2GB and Phil in particular has behaved previously.

nrlnrl

First Grade
They are really damaging the legacy of the-late Peter Frilingos, who was a reputable reporter and a rare pearl in an oyster at the Telegraph. He was also one of the reasons why I enjoyed listening to the Continuous Call Team when I was new to RL back in the mid '90s.

Unfortunately, his breed of journalism has died and now we are infiltrated with the likes of Slothfield and his mob from the Telegraph, as well as Weidler and his mob from SMH.

Yep, they're virtually opinion-papers ( not newspapers ) now. A profit making version of a forum where they can give their opinion, continue to vent their anger at anyone & anything that they don't agree with & hold on to grudges for those outside their little circle of friends.

Big Sam

First Grade
This is the full audio from this morning's Sunday Offload.

http://snd.sc/11NvnRA

Up to 6:26 it's about Robert Lui and then turns to Phil Rothfield

Thanks mate.

I thought Ginnane was very reasonable. I don't agree with Webster that he "bagged" him. Bagging him would be to explicitly say that Buzz gets a bit precious when he's not the centre of attention.

Ginnane just stated the facts from MMM's perspective and let listeners draw their own conclusions.

Brutus

Referee

As per usual, spot on the money Undertaker. Great post.