What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-structure of Super League- Conference style

WireMan

Bench

The league starts with SL1 and SL2.

both these leagues have 12 teams in.

After one round of games the league then splits.
The top 8 go into a group 1.
The bottom four of SL1 and top 4 of SL2 go into group 2.
The bottom 8 of SL3 go into group 3.

The teams in the groups then play each other twice.

Group 1 has a playoff to determine the champs.

The top 4 of group 2 play in SL1 the next season.
The bottom 4 of group 2 play in SL2 the next season.

Group 3 no idea. The bottom club may get relegated.

Not sure how salary caps are worked out.

The whole thing is looks like a mess to me,

DINGb@T

Juniors
That's the thing about this idea - the top tier will be playing for the comp, the second tier will be playing for a top tier start next season, but the third tier... why are they even playing beyond the mid season cut off?

The top two tiers are going to be fantastic. But the bottom tier will be almost pointless.

nadera78

Juniors
The middle tier will be sh*t. You'll have four teams with 1.3million central funding and four teams with 180,000 central funding. That's before you consider the disparity in other incomes. Full timers v part timers. That's fine in one off cup matches but over a 14 game season they'll have no chance. Waste of time.

We have the players for 12 teams, we have the finances for 12 teams, we have the investors for 12 teams, we have the corporate support for 12 teams, we have the fanbase for 12 teams, we have the broadcast support for 12 teams. We should be building a genuinely elite 12 team competition.

Instead we're trying to re-create a system from the 19th century and spreading our finite resources over a ridiculously wide area. A competition based around small village teams made up of part time players. What a vision of the future!

Bovrick

Juniors
The middle tier will be sh*t. You'll have four teams with 1.3million central funding and four teams with 180,000 central funding.

Nobody ever suggested that, they've always said the central funding would be spread more thinly if they were to open up the full time competition to 20-24 teams.

The rest about us not being able to handle enough teams is fair enough though, we can't.

WireMan

Bench
The middle tier will be sh*t. You'll have four teams with 1.3million central funding and four teams with 180,000 central funding. That's before you consider the disparity in other incomes. Full timers v part timers. That's fine in one off cup matches but over a 14 game season they'll have no chance. Waste of time.

We have the players for 12 teams, we have the finances for 12 teams, we have the investors for 12 teams, we have the corporate support for 12 teams, we have the fanbase for 12 teams, we have the broadcast support for 12 teams. We should be building a genuinely elite 12 team competition.

Instead we're trying to re-create a system from the 19th century and spreading our finite resources over a ridiculously wide area. A competition based around small village teams made up of part time players. What a vision of the future!

Out of interest, which team do you support?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I keep changing my mind on the right setup for the future so god help those in decision making positions, they are dammed if they change it and dammed if they don't.

I would not pursue this mid season split idea any longer as it just doesn't seem to add up, especially in the middle tier as pointed out by another post.

Either don't change it at all or simply bring it back to twelve teams with P and R but very strict licensing entry into SL. Similar to the EPL where teams gaining promotion have to have a minimum capacity and stadium standards. QPR, Blackpool and others have had to do rush jobs on stadia upgrades in recent years to reach the standard. If 2 SL clubs are dropped I would say London who need a fresh start and Cas; would make a nice second division-London, Cas, Sheffield, Halifax, Fev, Batley, Dewsbury, Leigh, Whitehaven, Workington and the rest.

Crowds in SL are down almost 12% which is a disaster, IMO pretty much a crisis. Something has to be done. Widnes got 6523 against Wigan on a sunny Friday evening last night, not good at all

Bronco Rob

Juniors
That's the thing about this idea - the top tier will be playing for the comp, the second tier will be playing for a top tier start next season, but the third tier... why are they even playing beyond the mid season cut off?

The top two tiers are going to be fantastic. But the bottom tier will be almost pointless.

Surely all 3 comps would be playing for a title of their respective comp, you have to give something for the teams to play for.

I like the idea of the 3 tier system, it would create a lot of interest in the first half of the season where normally we see a lot of reasonably meaningless games atm but each of the 3 split comps must have something to play for.

RedVee

First Grade
I keep changing my mind on the right setup for the future so god help those in decision making positions, they are dammed if they change it and dammed if they don't.

I would not pursue this mid season split idea any longer as it just doesn't seem to add up, especially in the middle tier as pointed out by another post.

Either don't change it at all or simply bring it back to twelve teams with P and R but very strict licensing entry into SL. Similar to the EPL where teams gaining promotion have to have a minimum capacity and stadium standards. QPR, Blackpool and others have had to do rush jobs on stadia upgrades in recent years to reach the standard. If 2 SL clubs are dropped I would say London who need a fresh start and Cas; would make a nice second division-London, Cas, Sheffield, Halifax, Fev, Batley, Dewsbury, Leigh, Whitehaven, Workington and the rest.

Crowds in SL are down almost 12% which is a disaster, IMO pretty much a crisis. Something has to be done. Widnes got 6523 against Wigan on a sunny Friday evening last night, not good at all

I agree with the bolded bit.

WireMan

Bench
I agree with the bolded bit.

Yeah except i'd get rid of Salford, because they offer less than London and Wigan as they cheated the cap to stay up a few years ago.

Neither have there own stadiums, and lets just forget Gtr Manc. That is a football town.

Plus having Koukash and Wigan in the championship will really improve the interest in the division.

After much thought (thought =beer in pub with mates) it is a stupid idea.
Salary cap totally unworkable,
teams with zero to play for for a third of the season,
the gap between the big boys and the rest will grow,
encourage smaller teams to spend money they cannot afford to try to get into top 8 leading to more clubs going bump.

In short, i don't like it.

RedVee

First Grade
Yeah except i'd get rid of Salford, because they offer less than London and Wigan as they cheated the cap to stay up a few years ago.

Neither have there own stadiums, and lets just forget Gtr Manc. That is a football town.

Plus having Koukash and Wigan in the championship will really improve the interest in the division.

After much thought (thought =beer in pub with mates) it is a stupid idea.
Salary cap totally unworkable,
teams with zero to play for for a third of the season,
the gap between the big boys and the rest will grow,
encourage smaller teams to spend money they cannot afford to try to get into top 8 leading to more clubs going bump.

In short, i don't like it.

I'd give Salford a chance with the new owner, the new stadium is supposedly pretty good though it seems to me to be strangely located? I can see why people would want to keep London up, but gee they seem to have been crook for a long time, not least in the crowd attracting department - though I understand Harliquins are not a universally loved brand in RL circles.