What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels looking at shift to ANZ Stadium

bartman

Immortal
What a fantastic crowd and atmosphere last night. Imagine twelve thousand at ANZ? Once again it is irrefutable that Parramatta Stadium is our fortress and we play better there than anywhere else!!!
Indeed, we should be playing more than the "up to 8 games" there per year for the next three years, and less in Mudgee or at Homebush. Until we regularly turn away fans from our home stadium, we shouldn't be giving away home games to random grounds like Homebush etc.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rramatta-stadium/story-fni3ga7r-1226660638192

Eels chairman Steve Sharp says Parramatta Eels won't be leaving Parramatta Stadium

Dean Ritchie
The Sunday Telegraph
June 09, 2013 12:00AM

NEW Eels chairman Steve Sharp says he is "a man of his word" as he categorically states they will not be leaving Parramatta Stadium.

Eels fans have expressed concerns after a The Daily Telegraph report revealed the Eels may shift more matches to ANZ Stadium.

But Sharp and Parramatta Lord Mayor John Chedid met with NSW Sports Minister Graham Annesley on Wednesday to ask for funding to upgrade Parramatta Stadium.

Sharp also met with Venues NSW last week, where the Eels gave conditional commitment to a new deal to stay at their home ground.

That deal is expected to be signed tomorrow.

The Eels have a contract to play eight of their 12 home games at Parramatta Stadium and their vision is for a 30,000-seat venue with new grandstands at the northern and southern ends.

"In seeking election to the board, I vowed that Parramatta Stadium would remain the home of the Eels, and I am a man of my word," said Sharp, who scored the first try at Parramatta Stadium in 1986.

"We will respect the Memorandum of Understanding that was drawn up last November. I am making preparations to confirm that commitment by signing the agreement on behalf of the board.

"We are looking to develop a Centre of Excellence at Parramatta Stadium and for funding to upgrade the stadium. There is also need for more corporate areas. The immediate plan is for an additional 4000 to 5000 seats.

"Parramatta Stadium has a great history and is on the old site of Cumberland Oval, the Eels' former home ground.

"The Leagues Club is on premises and we are also looking at a multi-level carpark. The Western Sydney Wanderers are joint partners. It is win-win."

spiderdan

Bench
So if the stadium does get funding for an upgrade, what part of the year will the work be done? It's gonna get in the way of at least one of parra games or wanderer's games, which would probably mean at least one of the clubs would need to take some games to homebush for a while depending on their games schedule and how long the work takes.

Tony Bongo

Bench
Anyone seen Jodeci, Eelsgetalife or the other spin doctors? I'm interested in what they think about an article that spells out facts instead of fiction. It's great for our club to be led by a man who is a man of his word - wouldn't you agree fellas?

Last edited:

T.S Quint

Coach
So if the stadium does get funding for an upgrade, what part of the year will the work be done? It's gonna get in the way of at least one of parra games or wanderer's games, which would probably mean at least one of the clubs would need to take some games to homebush for a while depending on their games schedule and how long the work takes.

If it means getting an upgrade to Parra Stadium, I wouldn't mind spending a season at ANZ.

parra pete

Referee
Insightful stuff from Steve.

What's his middle name - Not Very?

Is NOT VERY related to Gabe VERY...I went to school with Gabe @ Parra Marist Brothers in 1961, Gabe played FIRST GRADE Parra around 1963/64.....big bloke, big winger...

Jodeci

Bench
Anyone seen Jodeci, Eelsgetalife or the other spin doctors? I'm interested in what they think about an article that spells out facts instead of fiction. It's great for our club to be led by a man who is a man of his word - wouldn't you agree fellas?

See Bingo, Ken says when we grow our numbers, etc etc its a poor excuse to hide the facts he wants to move more games to ANZ.

We only have 7,000 approx Season Ticketed Members.

We would have to go to at least double that before we move any games anywhere. We are 5 years away from that and based on this clean out, 2014 won't be much better so I'm assuming those numbers could even drop.

So why is Ken even thinking about the idea now? If the deal was done back in April regarding our 5 year agreement at Parra for 8 games, why hasn't Ken signed it off since then?

Mudgee was a success with 10,000 people coming to the game and the local community got right behind it and even though the result didn't go our way, it was very well executed.

eel4life

Juniors
See Bingo, Ken says when we grow our numbers, etc etc its a poor excuse to hide the facts he wants to move more games to ANZ.

We only have 7,000 approx Season Ticketed Members.

We would have to go to at least double that before we move any games anywhere. We are 5 years away from that and based on this clean out, 2014 won't be much better so I'm assuming those numbers could even drop.

So why is Ken even thinking about the idea now? If the deal was done back in April regarding our 5 year agreement at Parra for 8 games, why hasn't Ken signed it off since then?

Mudgee was a success with 10,000 people coming to the game and the local community got right behind it and even though the result didn't go our way, it was very well executed.

Wow

eel4life

Juniors

Eel4life get the name right bongo

So spags isn't a man of his word now is he Bongo?

they had the deal ready to sign over a month ago, (ask Edwards himself if you want to but do it in front of spags)

But wait I don't know anything cause I'm so stupid, I'm just a dumb dumb !!!

:crazy:

Jodeci

Bench
Eel4life get the name right bongo

So spags isn't a man of his word now is he Bongo?

they had the deal ready to sign over a month ago, (ask Edwards himself if you want to but do it in front of spags)

But wait I don't know anything cause I'm so stupid, I'm just a dumb dumb !!!

:crazy:
I actually liked the eelgetalife thing

Latest posts