What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One punch and you're off

Walt Flanigan

Referee
NRL to show zero tolerance for footy violence

PHIL ROTHFIELD THE SUNDAY
TELEGRAPH JUNE 16, 2013 12:00AM

ONE punch and you're off.

The NRL has announced a strict zero tolerance policy to punching in the toughest crackdown on foul play in rugby league history.

State of Origin coaches Laurie Daley and Mal Meninga will be warned of the no-striking edict before Game II in Brisbane on June 26 and the crackdown will be enforced in all NRL matches from this weekend.

Any player caught punching an opponent will be automatically sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes, no matter what the circumstances. They could also face a judiciary charge.

The no-punch stance follows Blues skipper Paul Gallen's attack on Maroons forward Nate Myles in the opening State of Origin game on June 5.

Gallen was suspended for one club game, but not sin-binned. The incident has been replayed on television hundreds of times.

NRL referees boss Daniel Anderson has spoken to his entire squad this week about a stricter policing of foul play and punching incidents. Referees will be dropped if they don't enforce the rules and use the sin bin.

Anderson made the decision following a meeting with NRL chief executive Dave Smith, who was concerned about the game's image as a result of the Gallen-Myles incident.

Anderson, a former junior development officer, says the crackdown is vital for the future of the game and the recruitment of young players. "We need to make sure our game can recruit young kids," he said. "We've got a duty to the community and to people involved in our sport.

"There are a lot of swinging voters on our game who could be turned away by certain incidents.

"The product has to be palatable and accommodate all people who want to be involved in the game. It's the mums and dads who decide if their kids get to play rugby league."

There have been constant suggestions of a Maroons square-up in Origin II. The referees' boss and former coach of the Parramatta Eels and the New Zealand Warriors will speak to the Origin coaches within the next few days.

"I'll ensure I have a chat to Laurie and Mal personally. They'll be told any player that punches or comes in third man will be identified and sent to the sin bin.

"It's plausible that more than one player can be sent to the sin bin. It could be multiple players, depending on the incident. It's important we adjudicate it consistently. Every referee will be on the same page. The same with video referees."

Anderson said he eventually wants to see Origin refereed under the same guidelines as NRL club games.

"I don't like the perception there are different rules in NRL and Origin games. This has to be consistent. I'd rather we're all on the same page."

Blues coach Laurie Daley said his side would have to accept the rules.

"As long as we know and as long as it's policed consistently we've got no complaints," he said.

Queenslander Gorden Tallis applauded the move.

"That's perfect; I'm glad they've come out and done something. I've been saying all along that Gallen should have been sin-binned."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r-footy-violence/story-fni3fqyo-1226664374292

Won't please the dinosaur fans of the game, but will please all the mums.

I think 5 in the bin would have been better though

Agree with Walt - seriously, there might be one fight in Origin each year. There is always threats of brawls etc and it never happens.

Gallen's act was a rare one and won't happen again.

Although I can see more players trying to provoke a reaction to deliberating get someone sent off.

Alsmug

Juniors
Fights are a rarity in the game these days, I think it's unnecessary.

Definitely knee-jerk policy.

They should let punch ups in the state of origon got unpunished , whats an origon without a punch up, it aint cricket afterall knee jerk , i think they are jerking a bit further north

Joker's Wild

Coach
So is this for just swinging a punch or only if it connects?

Meh, its def knee jerk and probably unnecessary but in this PC world it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The NRL rolling over to the sensationalist media yet again. Who would've thought. And I thought Gallen should have gone to the bin.

Knightmare

Coach
So they ban the shoulder charge after Dean Young decides to cart the ball up without watching where he is going, and now they're banning the toe-to-toe after the sooking from certain fans and sections of the media after Origin 1.

We might as well become the AFL, expect to see the likes of Slater and Ennis throwing sneaky punches under their jerseys from now on. But as long as we appease the "Won't somebody please think of the children!" brigade that's all that matters.

I saw 'Demolition Man' on TV last night and I've got to say, the world portrayed in that film is starting to look like becoming a reality...

Jono078

Referee
They haven't thought this out too well... All in brawl? Does everyone who throws a punch get 10 in the bin?

Hutty1986

Immortal
So they ban the shoulder charge after Dean Young decides to cart the ball up without watching where he is going, and now they're banning the toe-to-toe after the sooking from certain fans and sections of the media after Origin 1.

We might as well become the AFL, expect to see the likes of Slater and Ennis throwing sneaky punches under their jerseys from now on. But as long as we appease the "Won't somebody please think of the children!" brigade that's all that matters.

I saw 'Demolition Man' on TV last night and I've got to say, the world portrayed in that film is starting to look like becoming a reality...

:lol: Because "Young wasn't watching where he was going"?? No, it was because you can't shoulder charge blokes in the head, actually.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Strange considering Anderson publicly supported the decision of the ref's on the night to not bin Gallen.

The benefit of hindsight though right?

Dazzat

First Grade
This is another disgraceful abuse of power within the NSW dominated administration.

Their obvious intention is to set a "good example" for the public, but instead, the message that this decision sends is that you can act like a thug, and then receive "protection" from the powers that be.

And that is exactly what has happened here. Gallen gets off scott free for his thuggery, boasts about his thuggery, justifies his thuggery; and then receives protection from the administration.

This is a disgrace!

Pugzley

All qlderps and st george fans can throw themselves off the balcony along with news scum reporters for making the game so f**king soft.

RHCP

Bench
f**k catering to 'swining voters', how about catering to the FANS? Whilst some have expressed distaste for the way it was adjudicated (no sin bin, no big suspension), I'm yet to hear one player or fan be upset because there was a fight. Hell, most of them loved it.

If you want to talk about swinging voters, I don't know about you, but violence is something that really appeals to the 8-18 male demographic. I mean, DBZ, pro wrestling, video games, just about everything I was into when I was ten was because of some kind of violence.

Our game is built on physicality. WE WILL NEVER BE A MOTHERS GAME. Never. Never never never never never never never. Nor will AFL. Unless we become a non-contact sport, NEVER. Soccer has that market and always will. So why dilute what makes our game great? They way we're going we will be just be rugby union with limited tackles.

It just f**king frustrates and confuses me to no end how every Origin 'highlights' reel includes all the fights over the years, the first thing we hear on every Origin coverage 'Beetson putting one on Cronin's chin', yet somehow 'this behaviour is unacceptable'. Bullshit. This is Origin and if you're going to promote it like that, there has to be a bit of leeway.

Nate Myles didn't give a shit about the fight, he wanted it left on the field. And to add to that, that's the first Origin fight in a looooong time that wasn't just throwing wild handbags. Very rarely are their any clean hits. A rugby league brawl these days is probably a lot safer than a spear tackle or a head high tackle.

Queensland want a square-up (even though they had a whole second half for a square-up...), I say bring it on. And I'm sure the rest of the players and fans do too.

Mortar

Juniors
I love a good fight in any game but having people king hit others, like that merkin gallen did, is cowardly and quite consistent with the NSWanker mentality....they have done this to protect that powderpoof gallen in game 2.

Joker's Wild

Coach
This is another disgraceful abuse of power within the NSW dominated administration.

Their obvious intention is to set a "good example" for the public, but instead, the message that this decision sends is that you can act like a thug, and then receive "protection" from the powers that be.

And that is exactly what has happened here. Gallen gets off scott free for his thuggery, boasts about his thuggery, justifies his thuggery; and then receives protection from the administration.

This is a disgrace!

lol you can blame the Qld media and your fellow Qlderp supporters for this champ.

I can hear the Qld packs sigh of relief from here. Now they have an excuse for being soft c**ks

Louiethefly

Juniors
I love a good fight in any game but having people king hit others, like that merkin gallen did, is cowardly and quite consistent with the NSWanker mentality....they have done this to protect that powderpoof gallen in game 2.

You don't know what King hit means do you?

Latest posts