What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith is the greatest administrator in RL history.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He's clearly trying to prevent a get square in game 2 and all the negative media all in brawls will have. In some ways he is being proactive by stopping it before it happens. Shame though I was looking forward to seeing who would kick it off.

Silent Knight

First Grade
All it will lead to is players finding grubby, more discreet methods of inflicting pain on their opponents in the hope it will provoke them to throw a punch and earn their team an advantage.

Burwood

Bench
Anybody else think that we will likely see an increase in certain players baiting the opposition with grubby tactics, sledging etc? Imagine how easy it will be to bait someone into throwing a punch if you mention family/personal issues.

Dogs Of War

Coach
All it will lead to is players finding grubby, more discreet methods of inflicting pain on their opponents in the hope it will provoke them to throw a punch and earn their team an advantage.

Don't agree with that, I'm sure some will push the limits, but no more than they do already. Your always going to have guys like Hoppa with his magic finger, Myles leading with his head etc that will get under the skin of the opposition. But these things tend to get highlighted and once the NRL is aware, they can take actions that are suitable as a punishment, whether it be banning the action, suspending the player etc.

Armageddon.

Juniors
The thing I don't get is the fight was absolutely nothing.
One of the most dismal Origin fights ever. There are probably better punch ups in nursing homes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The thing I don't get is the fight was absolutely nothing.
One of the most dismal Origin fights ever. There are probably better punch ups in nursing homes.

Pretty much throwing punches will earn you 10 in the bin in 90% of cases prior to this announcement anyway,the NRL are just bringing consistency to that and trying to avoid game 2 of its biggest product becoming a farce with running battles distracting from great RL. I don't see the issue? Nowhere shoulder charge ban, that is ridiculous.

andrew057

First Grade
Pretty much throwing punches will earn you 10 in the bin in 90% of cases prior to this announcement anyway,the NRL are just bringing consistency to that and trying to avoid game 2 of its biggest product becoming a farce with running battles distracting from great RL. I don't see the issue? Nowhere shoulder charge ban, that is ridiculous.

I agree. Its not going to stop fighting, its just making the punishment more consistent.

Question though, if youre getting punched like Myles did and he throws some back to protect himself, will he get 10 in the bin as well?

Danish

Referee
If you are going to have a mandatory sin bin for throwing punches that's fine, but why not make it like hockey so if 2 blokes go toe to toe, they both get a sit down to cool off buy their teams are allowed to replace them.

Mandatory interchange of both players and dock the teams an interchange to bring them back on. That would be much more fair IMO.

If one bloke throws em without any retaliation, he goes to the bin and his team is down to 12 men like a regular binning

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Make it 5mins for both punching, 10 for a punch without retaliation and I'm largely fine with it. I'd like to see the sin bin used more.

Because I love rugby league...because of the game of rugby league. I love the sport itself. Seeing blokes punch each other for no good reason when we run "one punch can kill" ad campaigns is not my idea of entertainment.

With this zero tolerance policy we have just become the leaders in all of sport by saying violence has no place in sport. And certainly no place in rugby league.

Well I'm 6'2 myself and about 95kg. So it ain't like I'm a lightweight and I've got a damn good right hook. I'd hurt anyone who would think of giving me trouble in reallife, whether there name be John Smith, Mark Gasnier or anyone else.

Bandwagon

Staff member
So does this mean Myles can go about his head butting , leg twisting , generally grubby approach to the game in game two, with out the risk of retribution?

Are you surprised neutral supporter?

The 6 foot 2 inch, souths supporting, hard right hook hitting, Mensa member, police officer from Coffs Harbour with a Newcastle great picture on his wall, can be believed.

He is "special" our Bunniesman

taipan

Referee
I'm fine with the decision.I watch the game to see full on tackles and attacking moves.
The biff lost me when Steve Rogers jaw was spread over his face.When some kids think it's cool,then we have a problem.
Get on with the game,the best players have got by without it.

Gallop's approach would be we are working on it um agh,and will get back to you,or is it happening?
The game needs doers,ATM I'll back D Smith.

So does this mean Myles can go about his head butting , leg twisting , generally grubby approach to the game in game two, with out the risk of retribution?

I will comment on your post, however first I have to stop laughing at a post about Myles and you Avatar. Love it.

Now back to your post, one would hope that now that his actions have come out in such an open way, the officials will start to monitor him and blow the whistle when he starts that crap.

There is positives to Gallens madness.

The other positive Is Bunniesman's TV won't be tuned in. He detests violence as do all Mensa member Police Officers from Coffs Harbour

jayc2016

Juniors
Brb there is more fighting in SL where players are red carded :lol:

As far as the on-field is concerned an automatic sin bin is NOT going to stop fighting, it's doubtful it's going to change the on-field product.

But I'm against the move non the less because I think it will prove pointless as far as the games image is concerned. What the likes of Bunniesman and Dave Smith can't appreciate is the dislike, ridicule and vitriol put to the game has f**k-all to do with our actual product. That's a media myth that they're repeating, one that if you inspect you find to be completely false. Dave Smith wouldn't understand that because he's from the class that perpetuates and is responsible for much of the issue.

Rugby union does not have an image problem, it's not the subject of widespread vitriol and dismissal as a sport for bogan scum, so why is rugby league. Is what happens on the rugby league field worse than what you find on the rugby field. Not really. You could argue that it's not a fair comparison as union isn't relevant in Australia, but in places where it is you'll find the point to be true.

Any thinking person should know that rugby league is hated for reasons beyond what the players get up to on the field. When we eradicate fighting is rugby league going to stop, all of a sudden, being ridiculed as a sport for bogans, champions, chavs or what have you? Does the NRL punish shoulder charges and fights and suddenly everyone is walking around thinking that the game pisses rainbows and shits gold?

Rugby league is a working class sport with, predictably, negative working class connotations. You go to countries where soccer is the working class sport in place of rugby league and non-soccer fans ridicule them for being knuckle draggers too. Soccer, the same sport the critics of rugby league in Australia put forward as the decent sport that's fit for their children to play.

These widespread criticisms of the game that are seen throughout society are predicated on the games history and socioeconomic standing, and nothing to do with what we're actually doing on the field.

Perhaps Bunniesman and David Smith could bring to the debate the evidence which shows immediately after the shoulder charge ban the number of children playing the game shot up. Or perhaps they can't, because it didn't happen. The shoulder charge was banned and nobody batted an eyelid, they just found another element of the game to use as excuse for their bigotry. Once the fights are gone they'll be saying the game is a thugs sport unfit for their kids because of another element of the game, probably tackling in itself. They'll always feel that way.

Didn't most of us say this in the shoulder charge debate? Ban the shoulder charge we said, watch these parents and absolute dickheads find some other reason to spite and look down upon the sport. Sure enough it's happened. And guess what? I'm saying the same thing now and I bet next season I'll be repeating myself for the third time when some other manufactured controversy pops up. Could be we'll go back to wrestling or cannonballs, or could be we see shoulder charges and fights continue at some level, in any of those cases you can be confident that the same people who spite the game now will be spiting the game then.

If Dave Smith wants to go down as a great administrator he'll come out with the data next year to show that the changes he's made towards the game have seen middle class participation sky rocket. He won't do, unfortunately, because it's not going to happen.

Ever since he's started Dave's been running around yes massa-ing the games enemies. It would be partly acceptable if what he was doing brought proven benefits to participation and perspective, but where's the evidence of this?

This.