What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Round 3 :: Souths vs Titans

Monk

Referee
jersey_rabbitohs_1.gif
vs
jersey_titans_1.gif

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5 -V- 5 (+ 3 reseves for home side; +2 for away)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Sunday 9th of June 2013 (6:00pm AEST)
Full Time: Monday 24th of June 2013 (9:00pm AEST)
Referee: LeagueNut
Venue: Redfern Oval

image.jpg

Last edited:

Monk

Referee
Souths are keen as for their first home game of the season, gooooooooooooooooo Bunnies!

jersey_rabbitohs_1.gif

Monk (c)
soc123_au
Bubbles
Horrie is God
Marshall Magic

Bench
byrne_rovelli_fan82
Tommy Smith
Lambretta

Misanthrope

Staff member
Unable to wait for an official line-up to be named before he goes away for a four day weekend on the turps, Misanthrope hits the field for the Titans.

Envy

Like many Australians, I tuned in to Fox Sports on Tuesday night to watch with interest as Australia defeated Iraq to qualify for next year’s FIFA World Cup.

But it was also with more than a little envy that I watched the game; played in front of a capacity crowd and watched by the third highest total in Foxtel’s history. Men, women, and children from all walks of life hugged and cheered with the sheer joy of seeing Australia qualify for the biggest sporting showpiece there is. Some cried. Cried!

I dream of a day when someday our international game can inspire that kind of passion and conjure up such raw emotion. At the risk of sounding like a certain insufferable bastard of monstrous proportions, wouldn’t it be good to someday see Lebanon v Jamaica played in England in front of a crowd that resembles something other than a Greater Western Sydney home crowd?

For all the accusations of corruption and all the laughing about the diving and the general ponciness of the game, FIFA has got one thing right – it recognizes the vital importance of the international game and has the brass balls to back up its beliefs. The sport of rugby league could learn a little from the world’s most popular sport.

#1 – It’s a dictatorship… almost

Can you imagine a world in which the RLIF dictated terms to the NRL? Maybe. But one where the NRL actually listened? Unheard of!

Let’s face it – the management of most NRL clubs are happy to be a big fish in a tiny pond. They’ve no interest in furthering the growth of the game beyond their own phantom territory – let alone beyond the shores of this sea girt land.

FIFA rules with an iron fist and confederations, competitions, and clubs fall in line or face exile. While this power is not always used for good, more often than not the game benefits from FIFA having such power.

No more players being pulled out of camp and no more whining about the length of the season. Sport run from the top (international football) to the bottom (clubs): sport run as it should be.

#2 – Make everyone qualify

How exciting were those World Cup Qualifiers last year? Oh, you didn’t see them?

I don’t think anybody not present did. That’s a problem for another discussion.

The fact is, you devalue your showpiece event when you allow twelve of the fourteen teams to automatically qualify. The FIFA World Cup allows one team automatic qualification: the host. It previously also allowed the last winner in. That’s it.

And that’s how it should be! We all know Australia will qualify, but how much more exciting would it be to actually watch them do it? How much better for other nations would it be to have some exposure to the Australian juggernaut before the tournament proper?

And on another note: invite (and help) every nation to participate in qualification! With two spots on the line for 2013, a total of seven teams participated across two play-off zones for a spot.

That’s twelve teams out of 31 registered nations. Or 74 if you include observers.

We all know that it’s unlikely Brazil will make the Cup, but encourage them to try! Does anybody think Timor-Leste has a snowball’s chance in hell of making it to the FIFA World Cup? No. But they’re afforded the opportunity all the same.

Rugby league isn’t a cash rich game, it’s true. But proper organization and funding assistance could allow all member nations to chase the dream – even if, realistically, they’ll never make achieve it.

It builds up the tournament’s prestige to have more would-be qualifiers, it exposes all teams to greater opposition, and it creates the illusion of a global game. Rugby union not is as global as it presents itself as being.

#3 – Share the tournament

Oh look! This tournament is in England (the same as 2000) and the next one looks like Australia/New Zealand (almost the same as 2008).

How can the game be expected to expand if it’s only ever played in its purported strongholds? Take the tournament somewhere new and help people to fall in love with the game.

I read South Africa want 2018. Why not help them to host it instead of rehashing a World Cup we’ve seen before?

FIFA don’t get it all right, but they know how to make a World Cup seem global. Bugger rugby, it’s football we should be emulating.
OWC: 750 (including title)

Titanic

First Grade
image.php
Titans v Souths

1. Misanthrope
2. lockyno1
3. Madunit
4. Tittoolate
5. Titanic

6. bgdc
7. titsandtans

lockyno1

Post Whore
[FONT=&quot]"The Biff"[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Well where do we start, we are 2 sleeps away from the greatest game in the world and unfortunately the only thing on each other’s lips is…the biff. It should be a good opportunity to go through the positives and negatives of each side, and come up with a suitable conclusion on the matter, because at the end of the day rugby league should be the winner. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There are obvious negatives of the biff, especially towards parents and children. Unfortunately, this is a business and we are trying to attract new fans, and parents have a large say in terms of what their children watch. Therefore, it is critical for the game to not have ‘thuggery’, because if so there will be a large portion of fans that will be banned from watching. This could also mean that the next Greg Inglis is lost to Australian Rules or Rugby Union as these sports may seem ‘safer’ to parents. Therefore, the league has taken a radical step in banning the biff so that parents can be assured that no violence in State of Origin will be tolerated. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The referees have been doing a poor job though, and this is my main gripe at the National Rugby League having to publically come out and say this. It says in the rules that fighting, striking and a number of offences are not allowed. Then one has to question how Gallen stayed on the field! The reality is, it is up to the officials to punish players who commit foul acts, it should not be up to the league to have to come out and say it in the media. Just because the referees are incompetent, doesn’t mean we should be focusing on that for three weeks leading into Origin II. This is a close series, and we should be talking about the game, not whether a referee will actually officiate towards the rules of the game. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Whilst these are compelling reasons to have the biff banned, there are some reasons why the biff should be allowed in State of Origin. It is mate versus mate and unfortunately tempers flare sometimes. To have a player sent from the field is a major disadvantage in today’s game. Maybe a compromise would be to bring back the five-minute sin bin, which would be used, for fighting offences. So therefore, the player is punished, but not to the point where it costs the game, like ten minutes would. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Furthermore, the biff has always been a part of State of Origin since Arthur Beetson led Queensland into battle in 1980. To simply just ban it, one could say it goes directly against the fabric of the contest. There was and still is a hatred between New South Wales and Queensland, and thus a biff or two isn’t going to kill the game, and in fact it adds to the spectacle for many older followers of the game who remember the reasons why Origin was formed. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Finally, the biff has been used as a promotional tool and thus banning it could lead to the game losing income if these are unable to be used. The fight involving Wally Lewis is in rugby league history as one of the best Origin brawls and has been used to promote the hatred between the two States on more than one occasion. As a sport though, the organization has to be very careful in what they use to promote the sport and thus, I can see why the banning has taken place, as the game doesn’t want to be seen as one that condones violence. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Therefore, it may be concluded that the biff will be a talking point for a number of years to come. The National rugby league needs to adopt a system where violence is not the centre talking point, as the game is and should be the most important thing. Therefore, it is the referees’ job to effectively punish players who cross that line in State of Origin. However, with this said, the ten-minute sin bin is far too severe for these offenses, and thus as stated above they should look at bringing in a 5-minute sin bin. This would punish the people who commit the offenses, but not decide the game.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Lockyno1
[/FONT]

Bubbles

Juniors
Bubbles on for Souths

Cry Me a Tweed River

One of the wonderful things about our great game is that just when you think you’ve reached the depth of hatred for a player, a club, or in this case for an entire State, that level bottoms out beneath you and you find yourself knee-deep in an extra reserve of loathing. I make no excuses, apologies or try to hide my utter hatred of everything Queensland... and then there’s Origin time when my abhorrence gets on the peptides and becomes hulk-like, or should I say, George Burgess-like. Truth is, George didn’t get on the turps, get lost and morph into a pissed idiot, rather he just realised where he was and who hasn’t wanted to throw a street sign through Queensland’s proverbial windscreen?

For seven years we’ve suffered the torments of hell, our papers splashed with Maroon and the sight of yet another trophy heading north to redneck central. Every year I find my teeth lose another layer of enamel as they grind together watching the smug look on Ben Ikin’s face each time Origin is mentioned.

For a lot more than seven years we’ve had to sit helplessly by as Queensland officials poke at the rules, bending, seeking out a weakness and finally exploiting a loophole to gain any scrappy, under-handed advantage they can. To add salt to the wounds, we’ve then had to watch as the NRL, the NSWRL or whatever body was steering the ship at the time, scramble to stitch or close up the hole after the fact, after the damage has been done.

Then there are the referees and the role they have played in stoking the fires of New South Welshmen’s loathing, particularly during the 2012 series where blantantly blunderous video ref decisions brought the Blues’ closest campaign in years to a heart-renching end.

Through all the above we’ve withstood the taunts, the arrogant disdain and the bitter tag of sooks when voices have been raised in protest from south of the Tweed against the seemingly never-ending run of good calls and rule-bending going the way of the people of the north.

Don’t get me wrong, I can happily concede the title of champion team to this Maroon’s side, but this is about the reaction north of the border after the curtain was drawn on Origin 1, after the Blues nabbed that vital first game. After all that we, the people of New South Wales, have had to endure, the flood of tears and tantrums has been at once wonderful to behold and at the same time, utterly unfathomable.

So, let’s talk briefly about the punch to end all punches. Our fearless leader, our Captain, throws a few punches the way of Nate Myles, even connecting on a couple of occasions, a rare occurence in the landscape of League biff. If ever a player has asked for it and has deserved to be put in his place, it’s Nate Myles. And let’s get this straight, this was no dog shot, no blindside hit, this was one on one, face to face confrontation and the fact that Myles didn’t react in time to retaliate is his own fault, not an indication of victimisation in the face of thuggery.

However, the tears have flowed and the hypocrisy has flowed even thicker from up north. Not one of the commenters/experts of Queensland origin have once had the mettle to admit that one, Myles does lead with his head and uses it a very dog-like fashion to attack the oppositions’ heads and two, that there have been far worse punches thrown in origin, or even more broadly, acts of thuggery, plenty of which having been perpetrated by Queenslanders.

Believe me, it has taken all my restraint not to dissolve into a tirade of expletives that would make a Wharfie blush and my greatest hope is that all the New South Wales players are feeling the hatred too and that come Wednesday, every hit-up, every tackle, every play is a mighty F-you to that mob in Maroon. Maybe then we can climb out of the pits of purgatory we’ve been floundering in for so painfully long. Maybe then we can reclaim the mantle of Origin Champions; only grab the nearest life-raft, for the Tweed River banks will break under the torrent of tears from north of the border. For myself, I plan on dipping a champagne flute into the deluge and sipping on the sweet taste of Queenslanders’ tears. C’mon Blues!!

Word Count: 748

Last edited:

Monk

Referee
jersey_rabbitohs_1.gif

Horrie is God is off with a dreaded case of man flu
byrne_rovelli_fan82 comes into the run on squad to take his place.

Monk

Referee
Monk moseys onto the field for Souffs
748 Words according to the OWC.

+++++++++++++++++++

The Playmaker

I opened my eyes to find the piercing rays of the sun drilling their way through my blinds, stupid sun. I wasn’t used to waking up at these early hours, but I promised myself a surf this morning so this was the way it’s meant to be, stupid promises. Now that it was the offseason I had to find myself ways to keep entertained, stupid lack of football. I threw on my fluffy slippers which sat at the base of my bed and they were stupidly comfortable, as per usual.

As I walked into the kitchen I saw the clock read 11:00am. “Perfect” I thought. Mid-day reality television was about to begin. After fumbling through the couch cushions for the TV remote, eventually I sat down with a purposeful grin on my face, what would a good old fashioned channel surf throw my way? The surf was always unpredictable this early in the morning. I pressed the power button and lost myself in the world that was reality television.

“Chris, you are.... NOT the father!!!” Ha! Lame.

“Five minutes left to finish up everyone! Drew, how is your Chicken progressing?” Eh, boring.

“I would like to give my final rose to... Lisa!!!” Ugh she’s not even hot!

After an eternity of flipping through the channels I had nearly lost interest until I saw a show which was completely unbelievable.

“Have you been missing your Rugby League? Well here’s that hit you’ve been craving! Watch as past-their-prime Rugby League players appeal for a second chance in our new hit TV show, The Playmaker!”

Are you kidding me? Did you really stoop this low? Are you really digging for any ounce of publicity you can get? Rugby League you disgust me. I motioned to turn the Television off but my finger refused to push the button. Instead, my hand decided to drop the remote on the floor. I then proceeded to pick up a blanket and wrap myself in it. What the hell is happening? Why am I still watching this? I looked up at the screen as a player made his case to the owners, hoping they’d turn their chairs and select him as their playmaker.

“I’ve played for both my state and country, I’ve even lead one of my past teams to a Grand Final and won the Dally M. But I had some off the field issues which meant that clubs didn’t want to risk their reputation for a guy like me...”

The owners were excited by the sob story, but none were willing to risk their careers on this mysterious player with off the field issues, so none of them turned their chairs. Just as the program was about to reveal the identity of the mysterious player they decided to cut to an ad break. I took the opportunity to run to the kitchen and heat up some popcorn. I could tell that I was in for a crazy day of channel surfing. This was only the beginning.

I returned to the couch four minutes later with a bowl of beautifully buttered popcorn excited to find out who the mystery player was but I found no information. The programmed seemed to move on into the next player in an effort to keep the audience guessing, now the new bloke had to make his case.

“I’ve played alongside some of the greatest players of all time, and I’m a premiership winning halfback. I don’t know why I was never given more of a chance to succeed but I want to make that next step and become a great player.”

One owner seemed to buy into what the player was saying and turned his chair with an exuberant enthusiasm, only for the expectation to fall short when he discovered it was in fact Shane Perry who he had signed on as his playmaker. The owner and playmaker walked off into the sunset, each with differing levels of optimism for the season ahead.

The remaining owners seemed slightly relieved that they had dodged the bullet that was Shane Perry, but they finally grasped the reality that if they didn’t make the right decision they could be stuck with a player who just can’t perform.

Following an extravagant piece on Shane Perry’s career the episode wrapped up with an advertisement for next week’s show.

“Next week’s episode is one you can’t afford to miss! The mysterious rejected player will be revealed and it will leave you breathless!”

Marshall for lol@souffs

-----------------
TEARS, FEARS AND BEERS
For over thirty years now State of Origin has been a battle of blood, sweat and tears. A week and a half, where players and coaches unite and put every ounce of their being into an eighty minute game of football. However in 2013 the mantra of origin should be changed from “blood, sweat and tears” to “tears, fears and beers.” Here are some examples of each.

TEARS
The tears have been flowing in the state of origin world, with players being cut from the NSW side leading to some emotional moments. Just as prominent in the build to game two are the emotional call ups, like Nathan Merritt who has strolled untouched into a 10m hole from 20m out to score around 120 tries in his NRL career, yet still been consistently overlooked for such a long time. With players like Jarryd Hayne, Aku Uate and Blake Ferguson being picked over him there has been a lot of debate over the course of Nathan’s career as to whether or not the NSW selectors pick players who are not Anglo-Saxon. The tears have been flowing.

Along with those tears, we have seen tears of bitterness coming out, with Queensland legend Gordon ‘squeaky clean*’ Tallis coming under scrutiny for being critical of Paul ‘lord grub*’ Gallen punching Nate ‘innocent bystander*’ Myles. Gordy believes that Nate’s repeated head butts are purely accidental, while Gal believes it’s a calculated tactic to incapacitate NSW players. Gordy does have a strong point, his head is so massive it is near impossible for it to completely miss everything in a tackle, and the fact he connects with a superstar every time he uses it could merely be a coincidence.
* Nicknames: Courier Mail

FEARS
In a game that is usually only tackled by the fearless, we’ve seen a lot of fear in the past week or so. Firstly, Mal Meninga has openly criticised the selection of Josh Dugan in the NSW side after he was sacked by Canberra earlier in the year, before having a deal with Brisbane fall through after a social media meltdown. Whilst Mal may make a point, there is a greater underlying issue that can be seen here, Mal fears the Dugan. If anyone will end the streak on their own it is the Dugan, and Mal knows this. He does not want him within 500 feet of Suncorp Stadium on Wednesday.

We have also seen fear in the words of Dave Smith, who is worried game 2 will be a big brawl. So as a result the biff is banned. We saw a massive all in brawl back in 2009, yet no biff ban was put in place, so why now? It is really quite simple, that brawl was in game 3, this year the brawl was game 1. This means that the next possible square up is 3 weeks away, not 10 months. Whether or not a square up was actually on the cards is something we will never know, but we know now that it is highly unlikely, although some players will certainly play as though they have “PUNCH ME” written on their forehead. They just need to stay away from Ben Te’o.

BEERS
Over the past month we’ve seen a plethora of incidents involving beers and origin players. Whether it be big Mal going to pour his own at a Queensland team event, or everyone’s favourite duo celebrating their reunion by going out and having a few** before entering the NSW camp, beers are on everyone’s mind. They are consumed to the extent that people aren’t even aware how much they’ve had or the effect they are having on their body (for further reference see James Tamou trying to drive everyone home after knocking back somewhere in the vicinity of 20 beers).
**It is not yet confirmed if the duo were drinking cruisers or beers due to a lack of photos on Instagram, but for the purposes of this article we will say they were drinking VB.

But let’s be real here, sponsors are a big part of rugby league these days, and when your two teams are sponsored by XXXX and VB it is important that the players and coaches for both teams keep the sponsors happy and consume their product, even if it may land them in trouble. When Wizard sponsored the Blues they expressed a deep concern that viewers were entirely unaware what these players thought of their home loans.

------------------

748 Words

Titanic

First Grade
image.php
Titanic for the Titans (745 OWC)

Face to face with the facts

I’d decided to make a comeback. Though still in fair shape from when I was playing for the high school thirteen, I decided, wisely as it turned out, to have a go at pre-season training before committing myself.

I turned up and was told that if I hadn’t played Rugby League for a few years then I’d better get down to the gym and get a head start. “Training is a lot different these days”, they said. I rang the gym, told them my plan and was given an appointment with someone named Phoebe. Phoebe was a 23-year-old aerobics and gym instructor who bore no resemblance at all to my previous trainer “Muscles” McGowan. My wife seemed very pleased with how keen I was to get started.

First Day

Phoebe reckoned I should keep an "exercise diary" to record my progress each week. I started with a flurry at 0600. Brother, it was difficult getting up so early but I had visions of Phoebe waiting for me at the gym to push me over those hilly bits. Colgate smile, straight black waist length silken hair and a body that I was considering killing for. A quick lesson on how to use a treadmill and I was fantasizing scoring … tries again.

My pulse was running quickly as she gently grasped my wrist – was that happening a little too often? In between frequent rests I “perved on” … no, watched the aerobics class looking for tips. Phoebe pushed me hard as I did my sit ups, though my gut was already aching from trying to holding it in while I was talking to her. This season I will be better than Nate Myles – older, wiser and certainly fitter.

Second Day

It took a liter of coffee to get me going, but I made it. Phoebe made me lie on my back and push this really heavy iron bar up into the air.

Then she put weights on it, hells bells! My legs got a little wobbly on the treadmill, but I finished the task she set. Her rear view as she crouched for the replacement fluids nearly made me run another mile. I will be a superstar this year – no doubt.

Third Day

Lying on the bathroom floor while moving my mouth backwards and forwards over the brush was the only way I could clean my teeth. My arms felt like I had had a transplant from an orangutan. Phoebe asked me to stop “acting like a girl” because my screaming was affecting the other members. The treadmill hurt me so much I shamelessly pretended to twist my ankle. Phoebe said that pushing yourself was the only way to get fit, however, I disloyally thought “get stuffed”. Yet glory awaited me, so I gritted my teeth.

Fourth Day

I was late, not so very late, only half an hour and she was waiting for me. I couldn’t explain that it had taken me that long to tie my shoe laces when I saw her gargoyle-like expression. First, she wanted me to curl dumbbells. Nick off, Feebs, the word "dumb" must be in there for a reason. This little duck doesn’t want a heart attack. I hid in the men's room until she sent Sven to fetch me. As punishment they made me try the rowing machine.

They should’ve named it the Titanic. My career was looking as shaky as Georgie Rose’s gut..

Fifth Day

Every muscle that I had was crying out in agony. Phoebe you sadist, you belong back in the Spanish inquisition. Please bring back “Muscles” McGowan. My career, oh my career … oh stuff my career. I leapt backwards off the treadmill, vowing to go out with dignity but crashed into a math’s teacher which was excruciatingly painful. Why couldn't it have been someone softer, like a music teacher, or a nun?

Sixth Day

My Rugby League career was in tatters. I rolled my eyes towards the phone and listened to Phoebe’s message on the answering machine asking if something had happened to me. I couldn’t even lift the remote control so I agonized through eight hours of Jerry Springer re-runs. Jer-ry, Jer-ry, Jer-ry … at least I could pretend a crowd was cheering for me.

Seventh Day

So, that was my latest attempt to re-enter the world of Rugby League. Next time I’ll train to my strengths and perhaps give League F7’s a go. Look for me registered as Phoebelle.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for the Titans

The 1909 Final

For decades upon decades now there have been many stories about what happened the day the 1909 Final between Balmain and Souths was to be played. Balmain fans and officials always angrily declared that Souths agreed to protest the final being played as a curtain raiser for an exhibition game with them on game day, instead opting to turn up early and claim the premiership.

Souths fans and officials always denied this vehemently. What ensued was decades of arguably one of the most passionate rivalries between both clubs and their fans in the competition.

So who is right?

In 1908, Rugby League burst onto the scene after years of player disharmony with Rugby Union administrators. It was embraced more quickly by the players than the fans initially, but a groundswell of support soon engulfed the game.

As the season neared its finale, a tour of England by Australia was hastily organised. The tour though suffered from horrendous weather and strikes by miners in the games heartland of Northern England.

With the game in financial ruin as the 1909 season was nearing commencement, officials from all clubs were very criticial of the founding fathers Giltinan, Trumper and Hoyle, accusing them of withholding information regarding a separate bank account. Suspicion and tempers ran rife and it didn’t take long before accusations of embezzlement were bandied about.

The desperation to clear debts saw some members of clubs secretly set about luring the Rugby Union Wallabies to switch codes.

This was quite a bold and complicated move. In 1908 the Wallabies team had won a gold medal at the Olympics and were very proud to be amateurs, a feat they were understandably proud of.

Before they could lure the Wallabies across they needed money, money that the NSWRL didn’t have nor would they part with for such a devious operation. Enter James Joynton-Smith.

Joynton-Smith, an entrepreneur and board member of the South Sydney Hospital, was approached about financing the ‘purchase’ of the Wallabies. He agreed to a plan that would see him get repaid and any extra money would be split between the NSWRL and the Hospital he helped run.

Once the rumours began, the NSWRL and the Metropolitan Rugby Union were opposed. The new Rugby League boss Edward O’Sullivan resigned upon learning that the Wallabies had struck a deal to play three games against the Kangaroo’s. The Rugby Union banned all ‘rebel’ players for life.

Then the games began. The Kangaroos won the first game 29-26 in a free flowing match enthralling the 18,000 crowd. The second game was won by the Wallabies 34-21, who also won the third game 15-6. The crowds for these two games were much smaller and left Joynton-Smith still out of pocket.

A fourth game was then scheduled to take place on the same day as the 1909 final between Balmain and Souths. A fitting finale for a much intriguing year which would see a healthy crowd flock to the game, was the thinking of Joynton-Smith and his supporters.

Just days after this announcement, Balmain officials complained, stating that all proceeds from NSWRL games are to go to the ambulance fund and the insurance fund, as they always had been, and that money should not be used to repay Joynton-Smith.

They also argued with the game’s kick-off time being moved back from 3pm to 2pm. This argument was a flimsy one as most games in 1909 kicked off at 2pm. It was made even weaker when on game day the Tigers players stood outside the ground before the 2pm kick-off as a protest.

During the week, the NSWRL made it clear that they would not budge on the schedule. When Balmain’s howls of protests grew louder, the NSWRL asked all players from the remaining clubs who were able, to be at the game with their playing gear at the ready.

As it turned out, Balmain protested entirely on their own. No deal was made with Souths about a joint protest. Souths kicked off on time, regathered and scored, while the Balmain players stood outside the ground. The referee awarded a try and the game to Souths. Then a hastily selected Combined team was assembled who played against Souths, losing 18-10. The Kangaroos then beat the Wallabies 8-6 to draw the series and close the season in front of a miserly crowd of 4,000, which was however, just big enough to repay the debt to Joynton-Smith and clear the debts of the NSWRL.

749 words, including title in OWC

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Hey ho never fear byrne_rovelli_fan82 is here! Everyone's favourite Rabbitoh joins the party!

~~
Meet ‘n Greet – the dead tradition.

What makes a true post match experience, to you? To me, I used to think it was that little moment you got when you had the chance to speak, get an autograph or photo with your sporting hero.

At least to me that is what I had become accustomed to at the Storm. You get to their post match function and you spend half an hour, to an hour and half sitting around, buying more food and drinks than you really need, then have your eardrums blasted off by loud music and shouting at the top of your lungs just to speak to the person standing next to you.

Then when the players and coaching staff finally drag their butts across to the function centre, you get to hear from them for all of about 5 minutes of quick fire chit-chat before you are then forced into a huge massive line with a million other fans to get that autograph or photo.
Now the latest trend is only select players do the rounds, so you may not even get every one you want.

Before any of these new rules were put in place players used to wander around mix and mingle. It was more chilled, there was no time limit and certain fans don't hog players' times. Since when did the time limit come in? Since when were players on rotation? And whatever happened with giving the fans that extra something?

Back then it wasn’t about the so-called fancy post match function and doing things the prim and proper way. Instead you could meet the players as they left the dressing room (old days of Olympic park), including the away team, which is of course unless you're the Broncos and Dragons and the players try to run away.

Whatever the NRL has installed with its new rulings or if it’s a club rule the chances post match have slowly diminished. Here at the Storm it feels like the fans are no longer important, you are just getting sucked dry to spend money all the time to buy something 'exclusive' and your moment with the players is getting less and less.

At open training sessions, they tell you nothing is guaranteed because it’s 'the coach's rule'. I have seen, the odd player or two not required at open training sessions and instead train inside leaving fans disappointed they are unable to meet their favourite player.
Yet despite the set back I have resorted to going to training sessions to even get a photo/autograph now because post match its too difficult. If it isn’t the rule of the club telling you, the fans, what you can or can’t do it’s the ground staff and security ushering you as fast as they can out the door.

Visiting away teams are even harder to meet now because of the new stadium. I've made the lengthy trips to the airport just to see the Warriors arrive with only one exception of being at their hotel, in 2012 because a friend of mine happened to be staying in the same place as them.

Previous to that I would never venture hotel side. My most recent photo with a player from the away team came because I decided to see who from the top team was watching the U20s players play at AAMI Park and went across to ask, even these chances are slim to none with security and park employees watching you like a hawk. Worse still when a friend and myself tried to do the same venture a few weeks later we were rudely told by security:
‘You can only come in here if you’re a premium member.’

Outraged since we are paying members of the Storm and have been so for a few years yet we can’t go to see our friends in the higher high areas because we are not in the same category despite supporting the exact same team, only separated in our membership by price.

Something needs to be done. Us, you, the fans are getting ignored, alienated even, because these footy guys are 'just too big for their boots' They want us to follow them, be loyal to them but when it comes to it they give us nothing in return.

The fans are no more and the traditions that brought us to such loyalties are long dead.
~~

735 words between the '~' according to the official word counter

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
On comes soc for the Rabbits close to the siren. Got to Redfern via historic Homebush.

Hypocrisy

Yet again our great game is making headlines for all the wrong reasons. I for one am sick and tired of it. The players need to be accountable for their every action. They are role models, ambassadors to the game. If they can't behave like angels they need to be hung drawn, quartered and then flayed just for good measure. The NRL must deregister the bastards and ship them off to Japanese Rugby. Bullshit to that I say. What I am sick of is the hypocrisy.

What we fail to remember is Rugby League players are athletes that are paid to entertain us for eighty minutes each week. If I fancy a philosophical discussion on the meaning of life, the dressing sheds at the local football stadium are not the first place I would head. Need a role model for one of my children? Surprisingly Todd Carney shouldn't really be an option.

I am as shocked as anyone when I read the latest headline that begins with "Code in Crisis" Shocked at the high and mighty attitude of the supposed journalist that has written it. Do these people expect us to believe they are themselves are beyond reproach? They clearly have never heard of the phrase about glass houses.

As we all know James Tamou has been charged with driving under the influence. Anyone who condones driving while drunk is as foolish as someone who does it. James will be punished by a court, the same as anyone else caught for the same offence. Enter the Journalists. Bourbon Becky who is more familiar with a DUI charge than most would like to see Tamou rubbed out of the game. So far his mistake has cost him 80k. 60k for the 2 origin games he will miss, plus the 20k fine from the Cowboys. Tamou needs to be punished, but that is the job of the courts, not the Media or the NRL.

Josh Dugan is another who has been in the headlines again of late. Being out on the turps with Furgo is probably not the smartest idea young Dugan has ever had, but last I checked being a dickhead isn't a crime. The jurnos again decide to interview big Mal to get his opinion on the matter. Who knows what Mal really thinks about the life and times of Jed Bogan or much less cares. In the interests of being politically correct Mal has to question whether it is in the best interests of the game that Jed is even back playing. More fodder for the daily papers when Mal himself is turfed out of a bar at 1.00am a few days later.

Paul Gallen giving Nate Myles a few cheeky taps in Origin 1 has also been a hot topic. The Jurnos have been frothing at the mouth over this little story. It could destroy Origin as we know it, the biggest disgrace of the year! Lord give me strength, ask anyone the moment that defined Origin to ensure its success and they will tell you it was Artie Beetson pummeling seven shades of shit out of Mick Cronin in 1980.

Are these incidents really the stuff that will bring Rugby League to it's knees? If we look at the numbers we have around 400 players registered with NRL contracts in any given year. Around 2.5% of these players make the papers for the wrong reasons. Some incidents serious, others just typical behaviour from young men . Loutish actions shouldn't be encouraged, but are hardly grounds to destroy a career. How many of us can say we never made stupid decisions while on the drink at a similar age? Most of us learn from our mistakes and become better people in the long term. If we don't allow the players some semblance of normalcy as they grow up they will be poorer for it.

Instead of all the doom and gloom from the media, wouldn't it be novel to read about some of the community work carried out by the likes of David Simmons. To hear more about the efforts of players like Petero, and the hundreds of other players doing themselves proud. Those that break the law should be punished, by the courts not the papers. These men are human and should be treated as such. They may play as giants on the field, but the tragedies of Mosese Fotuaik, Jason Annear and Alex Elisala is a reminder how fragile young men can be.

749 owc.

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
sub Tittoolate out ... bgdc in

Nope sorry guys can't get her on the phone ... good game Souths and thanks for those of us that played especially lockyno1 who is still celebrating the arrival of number 2.

Last edited:

LeagueNut

First Grade
Hi everyone, sorry for the delay - marking should be done tomorrow night or Saturday at the latest.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Here we go...

Rabbitohs

Bubbles
Cry Me a Tweed River (748 words)
I enjoyed this - plenty of expressive writing helped me to feel your hatred.
Score = 86

Monk
The Playmaker (748 words)
I knew it was Shane Perry before you said it! This piece felt like a teaser for bigger things to come, I look forward to the next episode (if there is one?).
Score = 83

Marshall_magic
Tears, Fears and Beers (748 words)
Your comments are all pretty much spot on. This was a good read, I would have happily carried on if the word count hadn't cut it short.
Score = 82

byrne_rovelli_fan82
Meet ‘n Greet – the dead tradition (735 words)
You've made some good points however it was a little hard to follow in places. I'd also suggest sending this off to the Storm (if you haven't already) - their response might make a good follow-up article.
Score = 80

soc123_au
Hypocrisy (748 words)
I was nodding the whole way through - everything you've said makes complete sense to me. Some typos knocked a few points off your score.
Score = 78

Titans

Misanthrope
Envy (750 words)
There are plenty of problem statements and ideal solutions but not a lot about how to actually make it happen - I feel that was a big missing piece and let the article down slightly.
Score = 79

lockyno1
The Biff (714 words)
This piece felt a bit rushed. You've got some good bones there but I think it would have benefitted from a spit-and-polish before posting.
Score = 76

Titanic
Face to face with the facts (745 words)
Excellent. It sounds strange to say it, but I enjoyed reading your steady decline. I was going to penalise you for your little dig at music teachers but I was smiling too much.
Score = 89

madunit
The 1909 Final (749 words)
A nice little history lesson, although it felt a bit constrained by the word count limit.
Score = 86

Result: Rabbitohs 409 defeated Titans 330
POTM: Titanic (Titans) :clap:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Nutty.

yeah that piece was from an article I had written a long time ago and was about 1200 words long.

I just did a rush job edit to knock it back to 740 odd words.

Well done Souths on the win

Latest posts