What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keys to success conspiracy theory

Minh

First Grade
Looking at the top 3 teams in the comp right now you can't help but think that money has a lot to do with it. In recent times teams like Melbourne have dominated and of course they were busted for cheating and Bulldogs with the infamous brown paper bags not far back. Manly and the endless list of stars they recruited not long ago.

Souths and Roosters are the new Manly and Melbourne and similar to the old Bulldogs regime they've been able to endlessly add to their playing roster without much loss of quality star players. These teams all have powerful millionaire owners with the exception of the Bulldogs. Getting into a bidding war with any of these teams is near impossible, heck even trying to sign a young player like Keary (Souths) from their roster is near impossible. In amongst all their stars they can still hold on to any quality player. Melbourne seem to have eased off since they were caught cheating the salary cap have actually released quality players, but they still have the luxury of 3 of the best players and arguably and in my mind no doubt the best coach in the game at the moment in Bellamy.

Take a closer look in 2013 Souths were able to recruit Ben Teo, Jeff Lima and 3 other fringe players including Goodwin. They were able to massively upgrade Inglis from an already massive contract where they pinched him from under Brisbane's nose. They were able to upgrade Adam Reynolds a 600 to 800k player on the open market IMO. They were able to resign George Burgess, Mick Crocker, Sam Burgess amongst others. They lost Dave Taylor who is of note and Scott Geddes and Pettybourne hardly big name players.

The Roosters very similar position recruiting James Maloney, Sonny Bill Williams, Michael Jennings amongst others as well as resigning a host of stars. Thier only losses of note are Braith Anasta and Sam Perrett, hardly big name players anymore. Some may argue salary cap rises but don't all clubs have a rise too so that evens itself out.

The Roosters and Souths are the new big players in the recruitment drive and I find it hard to see anybody being able to go with them dollar for dollar at least legitimately anyway. Is this the sign of the times where the last decade has been largely dominated by these type of teams. It's food for thought anyway.;-)

TheRev

First Grade
Yar it just defies belief how both clubs recruited for 2013, I assume that if it was a complete rort that other club CEO's would be investigating themselves.. something is just so wrong though, yes some blokes are going to sign up for less, especially juniors now if the club is successful, but its a complete farce right now, and id love to see how the numbers add up on a page.

i think it would be very interesting if that information was made public, though I understand it would cause a lot more fan frustration and expectations if you knew player xyz was on big money and not performing.

Big man

Juniors
Lol I don't think the following players have been on big money or are currently on big money until their current contract is finished.

Merritt. Jnr
Everingham debut
Goodwin discard
Farrell NYC
King o/s 200k
Champion discard jnr
Hunt debuted
Walker jnr NYC
Corrigan debut
Keary NYC
Reynolds NYC
Sutton long serving 10yr jnr
Lowe debuted
Tyrell NYC
Clarke NYC
L burgess debut discard o/s
G burgess NYC
T burgess NYC
Lima o/s discard
Mc queen debuted
Peats NYC
Starling NYC

Not hard to see that majority of squad has either come through NYC or debuted as no names with Souths, most are on existing contracts but have either upgraded or will upgrade for less than their market to stay in a winning team.

possm

Coach
Looking at the top 3 teams in the comp right now you can't help but think that money has a lot to do with it. In recent times teams like Melbourne have dominated and of course they were busted for cheating and Bulldogs with the infamous brown paper bags not far back. Manly and the endless list of stars they recruited not long ago.

Souths and Roosters are the new Manly and Melbourne and similar to the old Bulldogs regime they've been able to endlessly add to their playing roster without much loss of quality star players. These teams all have powerful millionaire owners with the exception of the Bulldogs. Getting into a bidding war with any of these teams is near impossible, heck even trying to sign a young player like Keary (Souths) from their roster is near impossible. In amongst all their stars they can still hold on to any quality player. Melbourne seem to have eased off since they were caught cheating the salary cap have actually released quality players, but they still have the luxury of 3 of the best players and arguably and in my mind no doubt the best coach in the game at the moment in Bellamy.

Take a closer look in 2013 Souths were able to recruit Ben Teo, Jeff Lima and 3 other fringe players including Goodwin. They were able to massively upgrade Inglis from an already massive contract where they pinched him from under Brisbane's nose. They were able to upgrade Adam Reynolds a 600 to 800k player on the open market IMO. They were able to resign George Burgess, Mick Crocker, Sam Burgess amongst others. They lost Dave Taylor who is of note and Scott Geddes and Pettybourne hardly big name players.

The Roosters very similar position recruiting James Maloney, Sonny Bill Williams, Michael Jennings amongst others as well as resigning a host of stars. Thier only losses of note are Braith Anasta and Sam Perrett, hardly big name players anymore. Some may argue salary cap rises but don't all clubs have a rise too so that evens itself out.

The Roosters and Souths are the new big players in the recruitment drive and I find it hard to see anybody being able to go with them dollar for dollar at least legitimately anyway. Is this the sign of the times where the last decade has been largely dominated by these type of teams. It's food for thought anyway.;-)

It all starts at the top. Good well run club, good coach and smart recruitment give a team the best chance of being successful.

In 2009 we found the cash to pay big bucks for Bennett. And he ran the show as far as the first grade team was concerned. At times the relationship between Bennett and Doust was strained but Bennett usually got his way and produced the goods. The only real difference between our 2010 campaign and now is poor recruiting and the standard of the coach.

The only way for our Club to rise again is for the Club to appoint a new coach ASAP.

Why appoint a new head coach now rather than wait till the end of the year or halfway through next year? Because the season is now a dead duck and the Club seriously needs to look at which players to let go and which positions they need to recruit for. Even now it is a little to late as some players have already made decisions for 2014 and beyond.

The fact is that if we keep going down this track we will have to pay overs for decent players and everyone knows Doust won't pay overs. A good coach would give the players a fresh new start and if we start playing well - even if we are placed towards the bottom of the ladder - there is a very good chance that we could land a few quality recruits that would give us the lift we need.

D

Deleted member 10972

To be completely fair...before this year, the Roosters last major spending spree was in 2010. Since 2011, the Roosters have lost Todd Carney, Lopini Paea, Nate Myles, Jason Ryles, Braith Anasta, Kane Linnett, Phil Graham, Joseph Leilua, Lama Tasi, Brad Takairangi, Tom Symonds, Sam Perrett. Slow and steady culling to prepare for a relatively strong signing year with SBW, Maloney and Jennings.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Not bad thoughts Minh but it goes deeper than that mate.
It really is a case of needing all the 'stars to align' to be able to be competitive and at the top of the game.
My thoughts on making this happen stems from having the right coach in place. We all know we were real close to snaring Bellamy...that's where we went wrong. If not Bellamy, then we needed the next best but this would be for 2014. This year was always going to be a 'rebuilding' year and a coach had to be in place to effect signings for next year.
Before a ball was kicked, we suffered injuries which did not help. Throw in a little team disharmony and an inexperienced coach and at this point, the reality is, we are a rudderless ship making up the numbers.
All points to ensuring you appoint the right person is coaching IMHO. Poor old Price has shown he does not have what is required ( team selections/ positions etc) but our squad has not been playing anywhere near its best either. Rather than trying to neck myself or write 1000 similar posts, I have learned to roll with the punches and leave these tasks to the professionals that are employed to do the job. I don't care what anyone says, you only have a certain window of opportunity to do this. Cronulla has put all its eggs in one basket and they will only have a chance this year or next year before there aging squad starts to dismantle. We had our time in the sun in 2010 and by all reckoning, with a decent coach, we would be aiming for a repeat in 2015.
Players will play for less under the likes of Bellamy and Bennett as they know they will have a great chance of winning a premiership. Souffs stars have aligned for this season and IF they are under the cap, they will succeed ....but they will then start to lose players due to salary cap and payment issues and someone else will have their time at the top...c'est la vie !

Dezziedc

Juniors
It really is a case of needing all the 'stars to align' to be able to be competitive and at the top of the game.
My thoughts on making this happen stems from having the right coach in place. We all know we were real close to snaring Bellamy...that's where we went wrong. If not Bellamy, then we needed the next best but this would be for 2014. This year was always going to be a 'rebuilding' year and a coach had to be in place to effect signings for next year.
Before a ball was kicked, we suffered injuries which did not help. Throw in a little team disharmony and an inexperienced coach and at this point, the reality is, we are a rudderless ship making up the numbers.
All points to ensuring you appoint the right person is coaching IMHO. Poor old Price has shown he does not have what is required ( team selections/ positions etc) but our squad has not been playing anywhere near its best either. Rather than trying to neck myself or write 1000 similar posts, I have learned to roll with the punches and leave these tasks to the professionals that are employed to do the job. I don't care what anyone says, you only have a certain window of opportunity to do this. Cronulla has put all its eggs in one basket and they will only have a chance this year or next year before there aging squad starts to dismantle. We had our time in the sun in 2010 and by all reckoning, with a decent coach, we would be aiming for a repeat in 2015.
Players will play for less under the likes of Bellamy and Bennett as they know they will have a great chance of winning a premiership. Souffs stars have aligned for this season and IF they are under the cap, they will succeed ....but they will then start to lose players due to salary cap and payment issues and someone else will have their time at the top...c'est la vie !

So are you saying that all the teams that currently aren't in the top 8 don't have the right coach in place? This includes teams like Newcastle, Eels and Broncos. All of which are only 2 or 4 points away from us.

FlameThrower

Bench

You are 100% correct, a great coach, good roster are one thing, but having the stars align, with team clicking, luck / rub of the green, injury free, all mark the year to succeed, we did that in 2009/ 2010...were on the way to repeat in 2011 then Bennant announces early on he is going to Knights, we drop our bundle, exactly the same team but the attitude and mind set changed overnight and lost our way. The whole soap opera of our club post Bennant can be summariesd with no forward planning, retention of too many old players and unstructured recruitment plan on fringe players all on 1 year deals. The Bellamy saga was final chapter that showed no Plan B, with Price given an extension because he was still here...

Jubileeboy

First Grade
So are you saying that all the teams that currently aren't in the top 8 don't have the right coach in place? This includes teams like Newcastle, Eels and Broncos. All of which are only 2 or 4 points away from us.

No, yet we don't hear of those coaches being hounded by all and sundry by their 'supporters'.
The coach has to live and die by his sword.
Coach is the most critical but there are other factors that come in to the equation.
Injuries, rep selection, juniors, quality of depth signings, club culture, team harmony, cycle of cap signings and costs verse players available.
Eg: Parramatta - Sandow, Tigers - Marshall and Blair.
It's a conundrum and is difficult to manage. Not easy to define.

inside_pass

Bench
If you haven't got a top class coach you will not compete with those teams!
Then need a strong spine and decent fringe players to work around them.
We have none of the above!

Dezziedc

Juniors
No, yet we don't hear of those coaches being hounded by all and sundry by their 'supporters'.
The coach has to live and die by his sword.
Coach is the most critical but there are other factors that come in to the equation.
Injuries, rep selection, juniors, quality of depth signings, club culture, team harmony, cycle of cap signings and costs verse players available.
Eg: Parramatta - Sandow, Tigers - Marshall and Blair.
It's a conundrum and is difficult to manage. Not easy to define.

Maybe we don't hear about it because we aren't regularly in that circle. The guys at work go for the Broncos and they are complaining about the same things we do - the coach, bringing young players through, losing young talent etc. I am sure Ricky Stuart is copping crap from Eels supporters as well. If a team doesn't perform, I am sure alot of fans look for reasons as to why that is the case. I also know of a few Knights supporters that question whether bringing on Bennett was the right move. Every team has it. Just because it isn't obvious (ie written in these forums) doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Jubilee, I agree that the coach is critical to team success and that there are so many other factors to take into account. But coming on these forums and solely calling for the coaches head will not solve the issue. The way I see it, probably the most obvious issue are positional gaps in the team. Start by addressing that and recruiting properly (which we have) and things may start to improve - irrespective of who the coach is.

I don't buy into this thought that bringing players up from lower grades should have been happening weeks ago and everyone would be happy. All you have to do is read the posts on here and you will see that no matter who you put in positions across the field that nobody is happy with the choices. Price makes a move to put a player in from lower grades - its not the right move. Price changes player positions around, its not the right move. Supporters (at least the ones on this forum) are so desperate for success all the time that they just want to blame a single point - and unfortunately the coach is the easiest target. To me, he is contributing to the problem, but he is far from being the only issue.

My thought is that when they brought Bennett in, his instructions were to get us a premiership at any cost. And that is exactly what he did. He recruited experienced players (eg Costigan, Smith) and retained our own ageing roster - there was no real thoughts about the future growth - it was a 3 year deal and he needed to get results in the short term. There was also limited opportunity for lower grade players to be brought through the ranks under Bennett. I see that the price for winning a premiership was our immediate future once that team was lost.

Again, don't get me wrong, I don't think Price is making the situation any better based on some of his decisions. But sacking Price and putting in a new coach will not improve the situation significantly. We as supporters can only speculate on why Price is making the choices he is making, but my view is that his choices are currently very limited given the players he has to work with, and the position he is in as far as his job goes.

Big man

Juniors

Lol I was looking at your 2010 squad and I couldn't believe the players your club managed to fit under their cap, truly amazing the maths involved.

Squad 2010

No. Position Player
1 FB Darius Boyd
2 WG Brett Morris
3 CE Matt Cooper
4 CE Mark Gasnier
5 WG Jason Nightingale
6 FE Jamie Soward (GK)
7 HB Ben Hornby
8 PR Dan Hunt
9 HK Dean Young (VC)
10 PR Michael Weyman
11 SR Beau Scott
12 SR Ben Creagh
13 LK Jeremy Smith
Reserves
HK Nathan Fien
SR Neville Costigan
SR Matt Prior
SR Jarrod Saffy
PR Trent Merrin
PR Michael Greenfield
CE Nick Emmett
HK Luke Priddis
PR Jon Green
FE Kyle Stanley
PR Ricky Thorby
WG Peni Tagive
WG Michael Lett

Your reserves would make up its own NRL side lol. I think your comments about Souths and the Roosters are a bit rich given your success in 2010 on the back of a miraculous Salary cap, I believe you have a severe case of mendacity.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Such a garbage post from the 'Big Man'... on so many levels.

The only real big signing there was Jeremy Smith.

Most of those players were juniors, or discards from other clubs. Our biggest problem has always been other clubs out-bidding Saints and poaching our juniors.

And your comment: "Your reserves would make up its own NRL side" :lol: You lose all cred right there.

Fortunately, Souths' attempt to buy a premiership will fall over this year, and you can go back to feeling sorry for yourselves.

Efresh

Coach
And most of those juniors were fringe prospects until Bennett got hold of them. Morris was in and out of FG prior to 2009, Nighty was in the reserves behind Dell or playing 2nd row, Merrin was a lump with potential, Weyman was an injury prone hothead (ok, so that's still true).

Big man

Juniors
Such a garbage post from the 'Big Man'... on so many levels.

The only real big signing there was Jeremy Smith.

Most of those players were juniors, or discards from other clubs. Our biggest problem has always been other clubs out-bidding Saints and poaching our juniors.

And your comment: "Your reserves would make up its own NRL side" :lol: You lose all cred right there.

Fortunately, Souths' attempt to buy a premiership will fall over this year, and you can go back to feeling sorry for yourselves.

I was waiting for someone to bite, well let me tell you a few home truths, majority of our squad in made up of jnrs, discards and players who made their debuts.
First team squad
Roy Asotasi - purchase NRL
George Burgess - debut NYC at 18 no name
Luke Burgess - Discard from EsL no name
Tom Burgess - Debut NYC at 18
Sam Burgess - debut at 21, marque signing
Jason Clark - NYC
Shaune Corrigan - debut SS
Michael Crocker (c) - pension signing
Andrew Everingham - debut SS no name
Dylan Farrell - NYC
Bryson Goodwin (gk) -discard
Justin Hunt - Debut SS no name QLD cup
Greg Inglis - Marque
Matt King - ESL discard, pension signing
Jeff Lima - ESL signing average
Kyle Turner - NYC
Issac Luke (gk) - Debut SS
Chris McQueen - Debut SS, QLD cup
Nathan Merritt - NYC equivalent
Nathan Peats - NYC
Adam Reynolds (gk) NYC
Josh Starling - NYC
John Sutton - NYC equivalent
Ben Te'o - Signing $300k
Greg Waddell - Yet to debut, no name
Dylan Walker NYC
Ben Lowe Debut SS as no name
David Tyrell NYC
Beau Champion NYC equivalent

For your record we have
13 NYC or equivalent / jnrs
8 players plus 1 yet to debut as no names who debuted with our club
2 discarded signings from NRL
4 NRL purchases from other clubs ( three who are over 30 years of age)
2 genuine marquee signings

Not bad for a club leading the comp lol, I will do one for you on your squad of 2010, just for the exercise.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Key to success is the coach. Last 7 years only 3 coaches (Bellamy,Bennett and Hassler) have won a comp and it is no surprise. The others are daylights behind. Its good to see Maguire and Robinson doing well. Sheens you can throw in there as he won a comp with the Tigers before the 3 shared the comps between them. You can also throw in Cleary for getting the Warriors to the GF after knocking off the Storm.

Minh

First Grade
Lol I was looking at your 2010 squad and I couldn't believe the players your club managed to fit under their cap, truly amazing the maths involved.

Squad 2010

No. Position Player
1 FB Darius Boyd
2 WG Brett Morris
3 CE Matt Cooper
4 CE Mark Gasnier
5 WG Jason Nightingale
6 FE Jamie Soward (GK)
7 HB Ben Hornby
8 PR Dan Hunt
9 HK Dean Young (VC)
10 PR Michael Weyman
11 SR Beau Scott
12 SR Ben Creagh
13 LK Jeremy Smith
Reserves
HK Nathan Fien
SR Neville Costigan
SR Matt Prior
SR Jarrod Saffy
PR Trent Merrin
PR Michael Greenfield
CE Nick Emmett
HK Luke Priddis
PR Jon Green
FE Kyle Stanley
PR Ricky Thorby
WG Peni Tagive
WG Michael Lett

Your reserves would make up its own NRL side lol. I think your comments about Souths and the Roosters are a bit rich given your success in 2010 on the back of a miraculous Salary cap, I believe you have a severe case of mendacity.

I didn't realise that Dave Taylor was on so much coin sorry your team is too good and the accountant even better. I don't think Rusty will carry you guys forever though. Enjoy the sun while it shines, it must be good to be a Souths supporter now but you still have to win it first.:cool:

Father Ted

First Grade
Not bad for a club leading the comp lol, I will do one for you on your squad of 2010, just for the exercise.

Oh big Man how can we wait and still live , oh joy oh bliss. We are soooooooooooo excited

Big man

Juniors
I didn't realise that Dave Taylor was on so much coin sorry your team is too good and the accountant even better. I don't think Rusty will carry you guys forever though. Enjoy the sun while it shines, it must be good to be a Souths supporter now but you still have to win it first.:cool:

Ummm, again I would like to correct you. Rusty has only invested a little over one million dollars lol, however, since he and Holmes A Court made their initial and only investment, our footy club has been the prototype on success. I don't want to bore you with the details but, given we have no leagues club we still manage to turn a nice profit with our football operations. We do boast the biggggest membership in the NRL, I think nearing 30,000 members and we are able to generate millions with our brand, actually, we are being paid to play all over the country. This week we are in Perth, we get paid a huge sum to strut our stuff there and market our brand. I think we have a few thousand members from Perth. You see, we have a business model, one that is fast becoming the envy of the NRL, so please don't bore me with your rhetoric about our reliance on rich benefactors and our likely demise, we have heard it all before.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I was waiting for someone to bite
Then this...
Big man said:
well let me tell you a few home truths, majority of our squad in made up of jnrs, discards and players who made their debuts.
First team squad
Roy Asotasi - purchase NRL
George Burgess - debut NYC at 18 no name
Luke Burgess - Discard from EsL no name
Tom Burgess - Debut NYC at 18
Sam Burgess - debut at 21, marque signing
Jason Clark - NYC
Shaune Corrigan - debut SS
Michael Crocker (c) - pension signing
Andrew Everingham - debut SS no name
Dylan Farrell - NYC
Bryson Goodwin (gk) -discard
Justin Hunt - Debut SS no name QLD cup
Greg Inglis - Marque
Matt King - ESL discard, pension signing
Jeff Lima - ESL signing average
Kyle Turner - NYC
Issac Luke (gk) - Debut SS
Chris McQueen - Debut SS, QLD cup
Nathan Merritt - NYC equivalent
Nathan Peats - NYC
Adam Reynolds (gk) NYC
Josh Starling - NYC
John Sutton - NYC equivalent
Ben Te'o - Signing $300k
Greg Waddell - Yet to debut, no name
Dylan Walker NYC
Ben Lowe Debut SS as no name
David Tyrell NYC
Beau Champion NYC equivalent

For your record we have
13 NYC or equivalent / jnrs
8 players plus 1 yet to debut as no names who debuted with our club
2 discarded signings from NRL
4 NRL purchases from other clubs ( three who are over 30 years of age)
2 genuine marquee signings

Now that's a a huge chunk. :lol:

Can't be bothered reading all that crap, but on first glance you look to be more than a little defensive.

Latest posts