What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 v Eels

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Winning ugly. I thought we were going to win by a cricket score when Kingston strolled thru 100 Parra defenders to score next to the posts. But Parra seemed to find some confidence from their two tries and really made us work for the win. Good to see Moylan regain his confidence under the high ball after last weeks effort.
Bring on the Knights.

franklin2323

Immortal
Ciraldo proving the doubters right. The guy is shit and his terrible games outnumber his poor games. With good games yet to be seen. His absolute best is average.

Yep. Typical game from him. Got the job done now on to 3 teams in the 8. Lets see how we go now.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Missed the game, sounds like we played average, good to win atleast.

Please don't think that I'm being a hypocrite, but in my opinion, the Panthers, while being the better side, benefitted from my team being so average. We offered nothing to test you defensively.

Well done on a hard-fought win, though - we've hardly been push-overs at Parramatta Stadium this year.

natheel

Coach
Missed the game but by the sounds of things and going by panthers season they seem to stand up and be counted against too 8 worthy teams but get back to their old ways against teams that are bottom 4 worthy. To be true competitors they need to just turn up ready to fight each week. I think if Penrith get in the 8 they will be a big dark horse and trouble the top teams with their brand of footy

Graftonpanther

Juniors
I think the Eels supporters are not giving their team enough credit. The Eels played fairly tough and made us work for the win, it was a good test in years gone past when we were odds on to win, we lost.

Good to see Matt Moylan back with his confidence, good under the high ball. Luke Walsh had an excellent game, his kicking won the game for us imo.

Agree please get rid of Ciraldo, surely Cherrington has to be worth a go, I have lost count of the number of times Ciraldo goes backwards when running the ball, anyway good win in an ugly way.

Newcastle will establish our true finals credentials we can go into 6th spot if we win against them.

One last question did I hear the commentators say K. Kingston may be re-signed by us at the beginning of the Fox call?

murraymob

Coach
I think the Eels supporters are not giving their team enough credit. The Eels played fairly tough and made us work for the win, it was a good test in years gone past when we were odds on to win, we lost.

Good to see Matt Moylan back with his confidence, good under the high ball. Luke Walsh had an excellent game, his kicking won the game for us imo.

Agree please get rid of Ciraldo, surely Cherrington has to be worth a go, I have lost count of the number of times Ciraldo goes backwards when running the ball, anyway good win in an ugly way.

Newcastle will establish our true finals credentials we can go into 6th spot if we win against them.

One last question did I hear the commentators say K. Kingston may be re-signed by us at the beginning of the Fox call?

i believe the comment was kingston had told one of them to watch this space.Would not suprise me if he signed as they appear to have missed out on a few young hookers i heard they chased

meek

Juniors
Thought Newton played quite well -= at least seems to have a good dig.
Ciraldo seems to try but just isn't up to first grade.
Whare was great , Johns , Simmo ,

Walsh back to hpot and cold - some good things followed by some brain snap stuff
\
All in all Parra where always going to step up - so a win is a win - a game we would have lost in previous years

Pomoz

Bench
Thought Newton played quite well -= at least seems to have a good dig.
Ciraldo seems to try but just isn't up to first grade.
Whare was great , Johns , Simmo ,

Walsh back to hpot and cold - some good things followed by some brain snap stuff
\
All in all Parra where always going to step up - so a win is a win - a game we would have lost in previous years

I think we have to watch whats played in front of us sometimes and not judge a perfrmance based on what we expect. I am not a Ciraldo fan, but the facts are he made more metres than Timmy Grant in total and per run. He made a mistake, but he didn't give away a penalty (Tim, FFS just stop it!).

Parra played really well and deserve praise for hanging on when they let in a soft try. I thought we looked a little flat which isn't surprising. The Darwin trip will have sucked some juice out of the boys (5.5 hour flight, for those who haven't been there).

The best thing for me was how professional we were in doing our job, winning the game when we weren't playing particularly well (credit for the Eels defence for that) and really doing the hard yards in defence. In the end, Parra had more possession than we did, which is quite telling and yet they struggled to break our line. Take away the intercept and the quality of our defence really stands up well.

soc123_au

Staff member
Any win is a good win. Regardless of where Parra sit on the ladder they are always tough to beat at home. I think we needed a good grinding win more than another flogging.

Big Mick

Referee
People calling for Ciraldo to be replaced by Cherrington are forgetting why he is still there in the first place.

Cannot promote Cherrington for the same reason why we can't promote Bryce Cartwright.

Just have to wait for Latimore/Anderson/McKendry to replace him unfortunately.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Credit has to go to Parra who actually stood up and had a go last night, unlike they had been doing in previous weeks. Although I would have liked to have won that a little more convincingly, I was listening to 2GB after the game and they said Ciraldo told them Penrith just wanted the two points which may imply they weren't really up for a big game. Hopefully we can lift for the Knights next week!!

mxlegend99

Referee
People calling for Ciraldo to be replaced by Cherrington are forgetting why he is still there in the first place.

Cannot promote Cherrington for the same reason why we can't promote Bryce Cartwright.

Just have to wait for Latimore/Anderson/McKendry to replace him unfortunately.
Or Simpkins. But yeah the blokes we would truly like to give a run while we have injuries, will not get to see first grade this season barring more injuries. :(

Just throw Simpkins in until one of those blokes is ready. Atleast Simpkins offers something to the team. His first contribution to the team is unlikely to be an error.

Eelementary

Post Whore

I thought the Panthers were solid and in control. Luke Walsh was very good, and your pack was strong.

I think the Eels tried very hard and played for 80 minutes but are just not very good, and we were lucky to score at all.

I think the Panthers deserve credit for hanging on and winning - we made it tough for them in the sense that, overall, our defense was OK and we were desperate. But we offered zero in attack.

That's not a criticism on the Panthers - they were professional from the start and played well.

chrisD

Coach
Our edge defence is still nowhere, no strategy to it, it's just left to the players to make haphazard guesses when the ball gets thrown out the back, a better team would have scored around us 3 more times at least.

It's a strange position where Walsh has been our best player recently and we've moved him on. I don't know how much better than the Walsh of recent Soward can play, hopefully it's a case of Soward playing at that level all next season.

Walsh played the whole second half like we were up by 1 with 30 seconds to go in a grand final with 11 players left on the field against a all time world 13.

And that intercept pass was pathetic but he did have some nice kicks mixed in. Soward does everything Walsh can but better

chrisD

Coach
Walsh made a terrible error but otherwise played the game exactly how Cleary would have told him to.

soc123_au

Staff member
Exactly. The kicking early was obviously part of the game plan. Play it down the other end and wait for the errors.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Parra were rubbish...best part of the game was no injuries.

Didnt like Tighe running backwards in defence like ET used to do when facing Meninga.

Just played to a plan and did enough.
Have the feeling the boys are looking ahead to the knights game at home next week.
The knights game will be a real test and winning is essential to get well into the 8.

Get out to Penrith park next week and support the boys.