What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Walsh

Why the hell did Cleary let him go ?...

He is bloody consistent and one of the best tactical kickers in the game at present.

The guy is underated IMO..

soc123_au

Staff member
His kicking has been excellent this year. He has proven though he just isn't a top flight 7 at NRL level.

murraymob

Coach
if we could bring him on for the 5th tackle then take him off utill the 5th again i would agree.The halfbacks job is to organize the attack we have none

maple_69

Bench
I think he has what it takes to be a good NRL quality halfback and it's shown in the last 3 months. In a team of players doing their part he has been good.

Was it the right call to let him go? Absolutely. He has had his chances.

franklin2323

Immortal
Lol consistent. Take you're trolling elsewhere

He is consistent. Only ever kicks and passes. That's it. put him with a running half (like now he's handy). Adam Reynolds is the same as is Soward.

Though last night proves we made the right choice. We have 2 or 3 chances in the last 12 mins or so for that fg and we didn't even have a shot.

Soward wont give us anymore running but would of closed that game out sooner.

abpanther

Staff member
Walsh look okay when the team is travelling well, but he's not good enough to elevate the play of those around him like a good halfback can do

mxlegend99

Referee
This is the most consistent he has ever played in first grade, and he still has plenty of silly plays in him and his only real attacking weapon is his kicking game. Jamie Soward has the far better kicking game and is a more consistent player.

The only areas that Walsh has impressed me in lately are his more committed defence, if he had put the same effort in his whole career he might have some more fans then he does now... and his goal kicking. Against the Storm he was shocking and ever since he has been outstanding. I think of him as an average goal kicker with a weak boot on him, but since then he has been nothing like that. His kicks are close to pinpoint accurate and he looks to comfortably kick it over from the sidelines... rather than have it just scrape over if he is lucky.

Hopefully he finishes his career off at Penrith with a strong run of performances. If he stayed with us then I couldn't see any possible way for his career with us to end on a good note for us both. For every good thing he does for us, he has that shocking pass that leads to a try against us. Or kicking on the third for no reason at all... or not taking the line on and throwing a hospital pass etc.

Nealo 12

Bench
A few have nailed it here, when things are'nt going so well Luke Walsh goes missing. He reverts to the predictable bad inside pass or wide speculator over the sideline or intercept play !
I was a bit unsure to let him go but last night against the eels sealed the deal for me at least.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't think Soward is any better in a struggling team. Though given our forward pack, Speed outwide that won't be an issue.

Soward and Walsh are similar though Walsh struggles in close games and closing out games. So will be better off

Wake up kiddies...if that was a trolling effort then forget it.

I was simply making an observation...

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
In answer to the OP we let him go because he only became consistently good after we let him go.

betcats

Referee
In answer to the OP we let him go because he only became consistently good after we let him go.

This. He has been playing well since granted the release, before that he was very inconsistent for the last 4 years, had some good games, but not many.

mxlegend99

Referee
Luke Walsh got Man of the Match in his debut for St Helens. Hopefully he can find consistency in the UK. I love seeing blokes who struggle in the NRL go over to the UK and look like superstars.

I'm glad that the move has worked out well for him (so far). Hopefully we find a replacement who is more consistent then him to partner Jamie Soward. Consistency from the halves this season will be the difference between being a top 4 team and/or a legitimate premiership thread. And being a fringe top 8 side that is making up the numbers.

abpanther

Staff member
I still don't see how Wallace is an upgrade over Walsh, I actually would've preferred to keep Walsh myself

MrAnonymous

Bench
Luke Walsh got Man of the Match in his debut for St Helens. Hopefully he can find consistency in the UK. I love seeing blokes who struggle in the NRL go over to the UK and look like superstars.

I'm glad that the move has worked out well for him (so far). Hopefully we find a replacement who is more consistent then him to partner Jamie Soward. Consistency from the halves this season will be the difference between being a top 4 team and/or a legitimate premiership thread. And being a fringe top 8 side that is making up the numbers.

Walsh didn't struggle in the NRL. He will be the best half in the Super league. If he had a decent 5/8 playing with him at Penrith he would of been more successful.

He wasn't even that bad for us tbh He was always the one that got the blame tho. Even the games he carved up he got the most criticism.

Last edited:

Latest posts