What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The injuries thread.

simostorm

Bench
Anyone ever heard a pop when doing deadlifts. Happened last Friday to me and saw the doc on Saturday and said it was probably a muscle strain. It's not hurting too bad now and it hasn't stopped me living normally but am taking a week off.

The pain hurts the most when I arch my back --back. anyone had any issues like this before?

How's your back now? I Know someone who hurt their back and heard a pop.. Turned out to be a ligament.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah that's what it sounds like, any other movements snoochie? Like rotating at all?

Frailty

First Grade
Pretty sure I have a minor medial meniscus tear...

Started to notice weakness in my knee during tough mudder, and then a couple of weeks later during BJJ it gave way as I tried to stand up from a squat whilst me knees were pinched in (trying to open up a guys guard). Was able to walk and jog after, but was pretty unstable.

Was fine when strapping focusing on the inside of the knee. Doc prescribed voltaren but still occassionally goes out every now and then when i quickly turn whilst walking. It's fine during squats and deadlifts though...

Shorty

Staff member
What does the doc think?
Without any weight bearing, can you fully straighten your knee? That's usually a big give away with regards to meniscus.
Instability stuff hints at like a ligament though like maybe mcl.

Frailty

First Grade
What does the doc think?
Without any weight bearing, can you fully straighten your knee? That's usually a big give away with regards to meniscus.
Instability stuff hints at like a ligament though like maybe mcl.

My local doctor just suggested doing strengthening exercises for it, because he was trying to avoid having an MRI done due to the cost.

I am able to put full weight on it, straighten it, and even doing squats with weights. It only seems to given during a twisting motion, and during this time there is zero pain, and when I first had it give way there was no popping sound or sensation.

shaggs

Coach
I would say you have done posterior cruciate. A physio should Be able to test the "laxity" of it.

You don't need it. If you strengthen your hamstrings that will compensate and you can go for a long time with no issue. Also the reason you have no pain. Once it's done it's done.

Wouldn't as a rule be surgically repaired.

As shorty said, full rom rules out meniscus.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah it does appear to be ligament related if stability is feeling off.
That's strange I haven't heard or come across much posterior ligament stuff, apart from what Shaggs said I'd strap it whenever you're doing stuff which involves twisting etc.

Getting healthy, finally! Spent the best part of the year doing lightish bodybuilding training and a wee bit of conditioning. Gunna start a full-on strength and conditioning program soon, probably totalling about 10 hours a week of training. Maybe I'll post a journal up here...

shaggs

Coach
That would be cool EP.
Maybe start a new thread. You going to have pre post measurements etc on it, maybe calorie intake as well. A lot of people find this the hardest part.

I wish I had written more stuff down. I'm 10 kilos up, from a few months ago. 4000 plus cals per day and 5-6 heavy lifting days per week has done the trick.

It's 4000 cals of good food, not shit.

That would be cool EP.
Maybe start a new thread. You going to have pre post measurements etc on it, maybe calorie intake as well. A lot of people find this the hardest part.

I wish I had written more stuff down. I'm 10 kilos up, from a few months ago. 4000 plus cals per day and 5-6 heavy lifting days per week has done the trick.

It's 4000 cals of good food, not shit.

Yep, I have my first 5 years or so of training logged - past couple of years been a bit slack, though.

Fordy20

Juniors
Took a shot to the ribs about a week and a half ago and it doesn't feel like it's getting any better. The doctor thinks it's muscular and is just suggesting warm compression, anti inflammatories and rest. How long do you think I should put up with this before requesting a chest X-ray?

shaggs

Coach
Took a shot to the ribs about a week and a half ago and it doesn't feel like it's getting any better. The doctor thinks it's muscular and is just suggesting warm compression, anti inflammatories and rest. How long do you think I should put up with this before requesting a chest X-ray?

The chest X-ray won't change the management.

Only have it done if you are feeling short of breath and are finding it to breath. The only thing worthwhile it will show is whether you have pneumothorax caused by a fracture. After this amount of time you would know.

The dose of radiation for a chest X-ray is about a tenth of normal background dose and similar to the dose you get flying sydney to London.

I will assume you are 30 years old. If so the small dose is not worth you while. All of the doctors management make sense to me. Don't over do the anti Inflams, can cause gut issues.

Cletus

First Grade
I wouldn't worry about it personally. I've had broken ribs and cartilage damage and there's nothing you can do about it anyway and it should resolve itself in about a month. Obviously if you have breathing difficulties see a doctor etc.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah the only thing I can add to that is to not go back to training that area 'too soon'.
If there's one area that takes it's sweet *ss time to heal it's ribs.

Fordy20

Juniors
Thanks guys. It frustrating not being able to train, but having a ball park figure on when I can get back into makes it easier to deal with.

Last edited:

DeeJ

Bench
I have torn my left lat 5 times over the years and it takes 1 week to heal.

Last year I tore my right lat and it is still not fully healed this year. I was very cautious with it coming back to training doing very light weights and slow form. Now I use big boy weights on seated rows and lat pulldowns.

However I cannot deadlift with any decent weight at all (that angle is sure to re-injure) the same with barbell rows.

shaggs

Coach
I now have cellulitis on my left leg. Basically covering my left tib ant muscle.

Red, swollen, hot, pitting oedema, the whole shebang.

No reason for it. Prob the floor at the gym when I was kneeling On it.

shaggs

Coach
Yeah got it looked at yesterday. I self diagnosed but needed a script. Gave me the double strength antibiotics.

Thought I just had a bit of tightness in my TA, while walking.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah got it looked at yesterday. I self diagnosed but needed a script. Gave me the double strength antibiotics.

Thought I just had a bit of tightness in my TA, while walking.
What did they say it was?
That sounds a bit like compartment syndrome.