What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Nutrition Thread

Eelementary

Post Whore
I've made a decision to start eating properly and exercise more regularly, so I'm riding my bike to and from work. It's going well, but I still have a problem - after years and years of not eating properly, I tend to skip breakfast (and sometimes lunch), with the predictable result being I am hungry at dinner time.

I have been forcing myself to eat breakfast and lunch the last few months and I have been making healthier food for dinner (soups, lots of vegies and chicken, meat, salads, etc.). But because of the years of eating that way, no matter how big a breakfast I have, I always feel hungry at dinner.

So I have need for some advice. I don't have much money (thank you, new car), so I wanted to get some opinions before seeing a nutritionist. So, bearing my financial situation and medication in mind (I was recently diagnosed with insulin resistance, and have been taking medication; it's supposed to suppress appetite, but so far, nothing), does anyone have any suggestions on how to "train" my stomach to not feel so hungry at night? I'm feeling really good after cycling 10k's each way every day, but come night time...:crazy:

I suppose I need a breakfast that is low in carbs and filling, and also affordable. I'm not asking much, am I? lol

shaggs

Coach
Buy a whole rump, when they are cheap. Get it sliced as usual. Take it home and cut it into 200g pieces. Individually wrap and freeze each piece. Can usually save 10 bucks a kilo buyin this way.

Do the same when you see chicken breast on special, for 10 bucks a kilo.

Cook what you want the night before eat the next morning with berries. That should work.

Or put a handful o kale and spinach onto the hit plate with some slice sweet potato. Let the kale and spinach wilt, add a small tin of tuna, then add some egg whites and mix into a scrambled/omelette type meal. I use whole eggs cause I need the fat.

I have this or a variation each day.

Shorty

Staff member
I suppose I need a breakfast that is low in carbs and filling, and also affordable. I'm not asking much, am I? lol
I wouldn't say that at all, considering you are riding to work of a morning.
I'd have thought you just need quality carbs and some high energy stuff, low gi etc...avoiding spike stuff with your whole insulin thing.

I never used to eat breakfast either, it takes a lot of will power for me to eat it of a morning, glad I do though!

Thomas

First Grade
I don't eat breakfast anymore as I'm doing intermittent fasting. My last meal is before 8pm and my first meal of the day is at 1230 the next day. I train fasted every morning and take a few BCAA's just before working out. I drink plenty of water in the morning as well as a bit of green tea. I'm hitting 2000 calories on training days and 1700 or less on rest days. It means I can pretty much have a nice big lunch and a good dinner with some healthy snacks in between.

I'm not shedding weight but I am losing fat.

The only downside is that I get rather stabby at 12:25 while getting my lunch.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Breakfast is my favourite meal when I'm trying to get bigger I eat like 7 eggs and a pile of bacon. I'd eat that for every meal if I could.

Thomas

First Grade
I do enjoy a big brekkie. I eat a large one on my cheat day (Sunday) with my kids.

I don't have 7 eggs though. I wish.

shaggs

Coach
I ate 5200 calories yesterday.

For the past 12 weeks I have had at least 4000 every day except for a couple.

shaggs

Coach
Yep. I like being able to eat an entire mac as family meal on my cheat day for dinner.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Dry Scrambled eggs(that means no butter). Just have one whole egg and two whites. That's so there's less cals. I am highly skeptical of the saturated fat is the devil theory. Ad some tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, capsicum. Make sure to soak the spinach first and squeeze the water out. Other wise your eggs won't cook.

shaggs

Coach
Add a tin of tuna in spring water if you want extra protein, to cliffs recipe. Will add around 120 cals but that should be ok.

If u like chilli I sometimes also add chilli tuna. This has 10g of fat to it, but in with cliffy on the fat not being the evil it's made out to be. Extra 90 cals.

Cliffhanger

Coach
The sad thing about the nutrition bodies in Australia which are supposed to be creating the guidelines telling us how to eat, is their research is they don't want to piss off the big food manufacturers.

There are two reasons we told to eat more of stuff like lentils, soy, grains etc it's an abundant food source, it's really easy to produce and the other is much sadder, it applies more to grains than soy and legumes, it's the fact that food manufacturers have far too much influence.

Despite all the latest evidence pointing towards saturated fats not being that bad for you, the Australian Dietary guidelines still try and tell us the opposite and they were just modified this year.

Even at uni, in our nutrition unit we're basically just taught to make recommendations based on that bullshit. Luckily enough we did an exercise metabolism unit last semester and this was more focused on the science of how food is metabolised in the body to produce energy, and how fat is stored in the body. Because of that unit, we know most of the stuff the Australian government tells us about nutrition is rubbish.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Dry Scrambled eggs(that means no butter). Just have one whole egg and two whites. That's so there's less cals. I am highly skeptical of the saturated fat is the devil theory. Ad some tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, capsicum. Make sure to soak the spinach first and squeeze the water out. Other wise your eggs won't cook.

Who puts butter in scrambled eggs? If anything you add a little milk but not too much otherwise they are runny as f**k

Frailty

First Grade
Who puts butter in scrambled eggs? If anything you add a little milk but not too much otherwise they are runny as f**k

This. I normally just have my scrambled eggs plain without milk anyway.
Also there isn't anything too wrong with butter.

My breakfast is:
3 whole eggs
Red kidney beans
Mushrooms
Spinach
Chilli
Tuna (springwater drained)

Best start to the morning!

shaggs

Coach
Both of these are good.
I also add shredded kale and black rice.
On a tortilla it's very Mexican.

joshie

Live Update Team
Is bacon (not cooked in oil or deepfried as f**k) and baked beans good to add to a breakfast? Like maybe 2 eggs? A couple bits of bacon and baked beans? It's all I really can afford but I'm trying to get back to being good with food.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
There is nothing wrong with either food, but it really depends on how it fits in with your overall daily and weekly eating plan. I generally try to eat a lot more protein than carbohydrates and fat per day (and the baked beans wouldn't fit in with what I do), at about a 50:30:20 ratio of protein, carbohydrates and fat.

My favourite breakfast when I have time is scrambled eggs using 3 eggs, 3 egg whites and mushrooms, about 50g of ham and a slice of toast. When I'm really pushed for time through out the week I'll usually just make some oat pancakes with 2 satchels of instant oats, 2 eggs and a little water. Quite high in carbs but it works for me in the morning and is easy to do the night before.

Diesel

Referee
I'm thinking about changing my diet to just eating whole foods for 2 weeks to see how I go. Anyone know a website that might be of use? There's some grey area I'm not sure on such as is popcorn a whole foods?