What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

beave

Coach
That looks awesome, and they're right about not throwing god money after bad.

i love the idea of the entertainment centre attached to the stadiun for corporates. From my understanding, that had worked really well at WIN.

Does anyone now the proposed capacity and am i right to say that this design is based off the gold coast one?

During the last mayoral campaign a few years ago, Jenny Hill was door knocking in my suburb and I had a good 10 minute chat to her about this topic. She was pushing hard for a combo precintct as the initial concept was just a footy stadium. I asked her if she had seen Win stadium and that it had been done down there successfully and she nodded and said bascially 'yes, that is the blueprint from which we want to copy'

I said to her as well that the running of complex needs to be kept away from stadiums QLD as they are bending all the qld teams over backwards with their hiring fees and she said that the plan was for it to be managed by the local council. She hates stadiums qld as well it seems.

And yeah mate, it is based on the GC stadium but with a 30k capacity instead of 27k. It would have to be cyclone proof so I don't know if the costs would go up dramatically over the money they spent down south.

TheRam

Coach
During the last mayoral campaign a few years ago, Jenny Hill was door knocking in my suburb and I had a good 10 minute chat to her about this topic. She was pushing hard for a combo precintct as the initial concept was just a footy stadium. I asked her if she had seen Win stadium and that it had been done down there successfully and she nodded and said bascially 'yes, that is the blueprint from which we want to copy'

I said to her as well that the running of complex needs to be kept away from stadiums QLD as they are bending all the qld teams over backwards with their hiring fees and she said that the plan was for it to be managed by the local council. She hates stadiums qld as well it seems.

And yeah mate, it is based on the GC stadium but with a 30k capacity instead of 27k. It would have to be cyclone proof so I don't know if the costs would go up dramatically over the money they spent down south.

Boy I hope that this gets off the ground. Then all that is needed is Canberra to get their go ahead for the roof stadium they want. Parra to get their funding and Manly to get all of theirs.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

That's great. I hope you get it up there. I hope they go for something other than blue seats though. Its just to placid and its so visible when people arent in the seats.

I think i will miss Dairy Farmers though. I dont know what it is, but that place full is probably my favourite stadium in Australia.

ek999

First Grade
Does the local council own 1300 Smiles stadium? Could they sell it off to developers to fund some of the new stadium? Or would the new development not include training and admin facilities for the Cowboys. Honesytly have NFI about any of this but thought it could be a good way to fund part of the new development if it wasn't going to be needed after.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

beave

Coach
Does the local council own 1300 Smiles stadium? Could they sell it off to developers to fund some of the new stadium? Or would the new development not include training and admin facilities for the Cowboys. Honesytly have NFI about any of this but thought it could be a good way to fund part of the new development if it wasn't going to be needed after.

without trying to bore everyone but 1300/DFS is a long a twisting story.

The stand they mainly film from (the western) is the only remaining part of the old harness racing track. The track was owned by the state gov and went bankrupt in the early 1990's and was just sitting there idle. When the cowboys got accepted into the comp there was 2 proposed areas for a stadium. One in the city which would have been one of the more picturesque backdrops in the NRL at the Sports Reserve which is where the old Foley Shield games were played, along with a few NSWRL pre season games. Castle Hill in the background looks kick ass, 5 minute walk to the beach.

B6Vh3iq4SR.jpg

The only problem is its in suburbia and not much parking.

The other proposed area was the above mentioned dis-used harness racing track out in the sticks and they decided to go for that instead which was honestly the smarter option. I believe they were basically given the ground for free but had to get the stadium up to speed by themselves. A lot of the works done in building the hills, eastern terrace and stand and tarting up the main stand were done for free or by donated machinery/labor hours from a few local blokes, joe goicoechea and Lancini were big donaters and Lancini is currently the chairman of the board (remember that name)

So over the first 2 years, a lot of the $$ they got from Superleague was spent on the stadium. The Northern and Southern Hills got grandstands, the changerooms were previously in the old stables so the players all ran diagonally out onto the field, were moved to under the main grandstand and a few seats removed to allow a players race to be cut into the stand (my best friend, his old man lost his seats due to this) and the carparking got sealed around the stadium. I don't know the costings but it was a fair bit.

Anyways, when the club was almost bankrupt and a bailout was organised in 2002-2003, the club offered the stadium back to the state gov in return for some $$$$$ from all the improvements to the stadium that they had undertaken off their own back. Now it was either this option or the club was close to folding so they had no option, so the state gov took the ground back in return for something in the area of 1.5-2 mil from memory??? It's been a long time, but from that point onwards, the cowboys then had to pay fees to play out of the stadium. If the dickheads running the club hadn't run it into the ground, we would still 'own' the f**king thing and wouldn't be paying out the ass in hiring fees to play there, that is what I am most dirty about. Also, the food and piss was handled by the cowboys leagues club who allowed a lot of local clubs and charities to man their own stalls and get a shitload of $$$ for their clubs. When the contract was up for tender, QLD stadium did what everyone predicted and let Spotless take it over and whilst in some areas things have improved, the prices are pretty ordinary. The local clubs lost a massive revenue raising medium as parents manned the stalls for free and it had a real community feel about.

This new stadium would be great but there is a few things to ponder. The chairman of the board (Lancini) is a property developer and has a lot of property located in the CBD in Townsville. It would be in his personal interest I would imagine to get this new stadium in town happening as it would probably have flow on effects to his real estate as prices in town would probably go up with the city becoming a bit more lively. I just see a little bit of conflict in interest in all of this, though apparently he has put a lot of his own money into the club over the years so we probably owe him a little $$$$............ I also see that an all seater may not be that popular up here as a lot of people like sitting on the hill and letting their kids run amok. You can't really do that in an all seater, as much as I think it should be a non-issue.

If it can get built and be run by locals without the interference of stadium QLD then it should be good, but I don't think it would be able to be built without their assistance, and therein lies the biggest problem of all. The state gov won't chip in unless their is something in it for them. They could sell the land at 1300 and use it towards the new stadium, but then they will want to control over the new stadium, I can see it happening in all honesty. I don't know what the best solution to this as the stadium needs the cowboys as much as the cowboys need the stadium.

1300 is good when it's 75-100% full, if you could tart up the western stand and its corporate facilities and put roofs on the remaining stands then you could continue using it for another 20 years, but IMO I don't think the remaining stands would be able to accomodate a roof as their isn't the structure there to take a roof robust enough to cop a cyclone.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
This new stadium would be great but there is a few things to ponder. The chairman of the board (Lancini) is a property developer and has a lot of property located in the CBD in Townsville. It would be in his personal interest I would imagine to get this new stadium in town happening as it would probably have flow on effects to his real estate as prices in town would probably go up with the city becoming a bit more lively. I just see a little bit of conflict in interest in all of this, though apparently he has put a lot of his own money into the club over the years so we probably owe him a little $$$$............ I also see that an all seater may not be that popular up here as a lot of people like sitting on the hill and letting their kids run amok. You can't really do that in an all seater, as much as I think it should be a non-issue.

jim_57

Staff member
Latest in NQ's bid for a new stadium

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2013/07/31/386425_news.html

stadium-wide.jpg

BUILDING a new superstadium and convention centre in the CBD is expected to cost about $300 million, only slightly more than what is needed to repair Townsville's ageing sporting and convention facilities.

It comes as the CBD superstadium and convention centre push received strong backing from the Townsville community, with a survey finding the majority of locals want the proposal turned into a reality.

The survey, which was completed by an independent consultant, found 76.5 per cent of respondents wanted the superstadium and convention centre to be built in the CBD.

The Bulletin understands building the tailor-made facility in the CBD would cost about $300 million. However, the estimated cost of refurbishing the western stand at 1300 SMILES Stadium is about $100 million, while the replacement cost of a new convention centre was estimated at $143 million and rated a more cost-effective option than fixing up the current facility to an international standard.

North Queensland Cowboys chief executive Peter Jourdain said he was worried ongoing construction at the club's home ground could dramatically decrease the revenue from ticket sales.

"We have been told that the western stand could be out of action for up to two years if it were upgraded, which would be a financial disaster for us," Mr Jourdain said.

"And why would you spend all that money and still have three other stands without any shelter from the rain?

"Building a new combined stadium and convention centre in the CBD would be good for our club, the Crocodiles (basketball club) and the whole city."

Townsville Enterprise chief executive David Kippin said the feasibility study for the superstadium is currently being worked on and is expected to highlight the ongoing maintenance savings possible with a combined facility.

"If you were to try to repair or refurbish both (the football stadium and the entertainment and convention centre) it would really be a case of throwing good money after bad," he said.

"There are likely to be substantial savings in terms of on-going maintenance if we build a new shared facility."

Mr Kippin said a delegation would head to Canberra to lobby both sides of politics on the benefits of the proposal, despite the feasibility study not being complete.

He said the superstadium project would bring great advantages to the region's indigenous athletes.

"The bulk of the nation's indigenous disadvantage is in Northern Australia, where Townsville is the largest city, and it's the logical location for the stadium and indigenous sport centre," Mr Kippin said.

Tourism Minister Jann Stuckey was in Townsville yesterday meeting with Townsville Enterprise to discuss a range of issues including the superstadium.

Ms Stuckey said Townsville was still in line to host basketball games as part of the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.

"We have had meetings with cabinet members and Townsville Mayor (Jenny Hill) and councillors, so it is on our radar," she said.

Really hope this gets off the ground. Having a premier sporting stadium/facility North Queensland would be great for the area. It would not only benefit the Cowboys but the region as a whole IMO, I'd expect to see alot more "premier" sporting events heading to Townsville, League, Union & Soccer internationals.

What are thoughts on.the occasional Origin being played up North if this gets off the ground? I proposed one every 6 year cycle in this thread http:// http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=424436

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

That is a fair point, particularly for a regional ground that doesnt usually fill up.

I think Newcastle have it right with the goal line ends as hills. And i know they built the western stand with the option of connecting a north and south grandstand.

Maybe a Hunter Stadium-style is more the answer for north Queensland.

I was wondering about the location. Is this new proposed site better than DFS? I have no idea how the Townsville sprawl works.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Really hope this gets off the ground. Having a premier sporting stadium/facility North Queensland would be great for the area. It would not only benefit the Cowboys but the region as a whole IMO, I'd expect to see alot more "premier" sporting events heading to Townsville, League, Union & Soccer internationals.

What are thoughts on.the occasional Origin being played up North if this gets off the ground? I proposed one every 6 year cycle in this thread http:// http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=424436

Did anyone read the comments. Heaps of NIMBY types as usual, very sad.

Hopefully Canberra and Townsville get sorted in the next few years as neither is really up to standard

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Nice post beave.

Now for NQ fans this might be a stupid question but does a new stadium need a roof? Would it save $$ if they were clever and simply built a bowl stadium I wonder.

Continued night games, playing in winter out of the rain should make it a bit of a non-issue I'd assume. There's the opportunity to make a nice, unique stadium for NQ rather than building another soulless cookie-cutter.

beave

Coach
That is a fair point, particularly for a regional ground that doesnt usually fill up.

I think Newcastle have it right with the goal line ends as hills. And i know they built the western stand with the option of connecting a north and south grandstand.

Maybe a Hunter Stadium-style is more the answer for north Queensland.

I was wondering about the location. Is this new proposed site better than DFS? I have no idea how the Townsville sprawl works.

1300 was out in the sticks back in the day, but urban sprawl has caught up and suburbia pretty much surrounds it

3b79c4ea6b61f4e81a177715f01c0921.jpg

1300 is in the SW corner above '72'

The new site is in the city right where Railway Estate is written. Another potential problem is that the proposed site is still being used as railyards and are being mooted to be moved out of town near the Toll warehouses and new bypass for heavy trucks (look for the Stuart bypass in the SE corner of the map)This is a logical area to move the railyards but would cost a mint to carry out.

The new location would make bunging one on after a game much easier as the nightclub/restuarant strip is in the city, currently you have to get a bus into town or settle for the Brothers Leagues club next door. Vehicle access is about the same, there's a double lane road going through that new area which might help. On game nights traffic can get a bit congested at 1300 as the road out of the carparks is single lane,but seeing as though we are only averaging 14k this year it hasn't been as bad as the years where we averaged 18-20k.

I havea heard a few locals around the stadium say that if the cowboys were to move into the the city they wouldn't go to games anymore as it's too much of an effort to get into town, I get real shitty when I hear this as I know people who come from Cairns and Mackay for games and some people just don't realise how lucky they are to have an NRL team up here at times.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Nice post beave.

Now for NQ fans this might be a stupid question but does a new stadium need a roof? Would it save $$ if they were clever and simply built a bowl stadium I wonder.

Continued night games, playing in winter out of the rain should make it a bit of a non-issue I'd assume. There's the opportunity to make a nice, unique stadium for NQ rather than building another soulless cookie-cutter.

Wet seasons up here can be horrendous and go right up to the end of April. Once upon a time fans showed up hail rain or shine but with all games live on Fox, the GFC and just general laziness, people aren't turning up in good conditions like they used to so if there is inclement weather, crowds plummet. Also the atmosphere lacks without a roof. At the moment you need 18-20k to create a real buzz around the joint because at the moment the sound just dissapates upwards due to the lack of roof over the stands. I think we deserve a decent stadium up here. Even if they did move the stadium into town and did something simialr to Wollongong, link a Nthn stand to a western and sthn stands and then have a hill on the eastern side to keep the families/hill loving people happy???? Or put a hill on the sthn end and make the rest grandstands with the entertainment centre built into the northern (like WIN)

smithie

Juniors
Provide us the funds to build it

SUPERSTADIUM-J10919348-522700t.jpg

THIS is the first look at new plans for Townsville's proposed superstadium and convention centre in the CBD.

The superstadium, to be built on the southern fringe of the CBD near Dean and Saunders streets, will include a 30,000-seat outdoor sporting stadium and an indoor capacity of 6000 people for entertainment events, basketball games, conferences and functions.

It will also include world-class facilities for players, 125 corporate boxes including 25 completely enclosed from the weather, convenient access to parking and an integrated precinct with a hotel, restaurants and retail businesses.

The combined facility would cost $300 million to build and could be ready to host games and business functions within four years.

The next Federal Government would have to commit $150 million, or half, to get the project off the ground, with the pressure then falling on the State Government to commit to providing adequate sporting and entertainment facilities for North Queensland.

Any funding commitment from Labor or the LNP would be split over four years and require $15 million in the first year, followed by $35 million and $50 million in each of the final two years.

Under the 50-50 funding split between state and federal governments, which is standard practice for major sporting facilities, Townsville ratepayers would be spared any financial pain but would gain access to a world-class stadium and entertainment centre in the heart of the city.

The latest round of the federal Regional Development Australia Fund has $200 million to spend on major projects so funding for major sporting and entertainment projects is available and being spent in other areas of Australia.

Townsville now needs to unite and pressure both sides of politics to ensure the superstadium gets built and provides an economic stimulus for the city during what are expected to be a lacklustre few years for North Queensland.

Herbert is one of the most marginal seats in the country and with all the pork flying around Australia, the Bulletin believes Townsville's political wannabes need to demonstrate their ability to bring home the bacon if they want to represent the city.

Planning has already been done and all that is required to kickstart the project is an injection of funds.

The superstadium and convention centre would be the premier sporting, business and entertainment centre in northern Australia.

Research conducted in the planning phase of the project found 76.5 per cent of Townsvillians wanted a new stadium and convention centre in the CBD.

The world-class facility would help attract the biggest sporting events in Australia, music acts from across the globe and major international business conferences, all of which bring millions of dollars into our local economy.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2013/08/17/387478_news.html

smithie

Juniors
City pledges fast-track for superstadium approval process

stadium-wide.jpg

TOWNSVILLE City Council has promised to fast-track the approval process for the superstadium and convention centre project.

Initial plans have been drawn up for the $300 million sporting and entertainment project but detailed design work will need to be completed and submitted to the council before any building can take place.

Mayor Jenny Hill guaranteed the council would streamline the development approval process to prevent any unnecessary delays.

"It (the approval process) could be done within six months if all the planning work was submitted to us," she said.

"I think everybody in (the planning department) would be working as fast as possible because it's such a job-creating project.

"There will be absolutely no hold-ups from council whatsoever."

Cr Hill said the council would use any available options to support the project as long as it spared ratepayers .

"State and federal governments need to fund this project but there are a lot of things council can do to help and we will work with both governments to try and make that happen as soon as possible," she said.

"One thing we can look at doing is selling the land where the current (Townsville Entertainment and Convention Centre) is on for any possible redevelopment of the casino."

The superstadium proposal shows the venue could be built on several adjacent sites in South Townsville, between Dean and Saunders streets, with the council owning some land in the area where the development is slated to start.

Cr Hill said the council would be willing to look at a land swap to help ensure the superstadium goes ahead.

"We have some land in that area but there has been no decision on the final preferred site," she said.

The council's manager of economic development, David Lynch, said there had already been planning done to accommodate a major sporting and entertainment facility in the CBD.

"The stadium is completely compliant with the CBD masterplan and the draft planning scheme," he said.

"It will be a great catalyst for further development in the CBD, particularly on the southern (bank) of Ross Creek."

He said the project was a great opportunity for either side of politics to show they were genuine about the North.

"This is the perfect project for either political party to back up their rhetoric about developing northern Australia," he said.

"Townsville is the biggest city in northern Australia and we have been short-changed by all governments for too long. We deserve a first-class sporting and entertainment facility ... "

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2013/08/19/387544_news.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well the Q'land Govt was going to find $150mill for a CQ stadium if needed so they must have the money to fund this.

Latest posts