What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Kirky

Juniors
Stadium investment by Governments are such a no-brainer. The economic impact they have, the increases to tourism, and even intangibles like community spirit and pride cannot be overstated. There'll always be whinny nay-sayers that insist the money would be better spent on hospital beds etc, but a Government can't spend all of its money exclusively on core necessities. A bored populace is an unhappy populace.

So in summary, build this Fkn stadium Newman!

TheRam

Coach
Jeez it better happen and it better be built, like where the proposal recommend, in the CBD. It is just as important as the stadium itself.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Only problem I see is will it have astronomical ticketing like we see at skilled park? Also the NRL and cowboys should be seeking management rights

applesauce

Bench
The 4 sides of the stadium seem to be a different design (unless the other renders are the convention centre???).

SUPERSTADIUM-J10919349-52280n1.jpg
SUPERSTADIUM-J10919349-522801n2.jpg

xqPVhcs.jpg

SUPERSTADIUM-J10919348-522700t_zps2d38de1f.jpg

The NRL should offer $20mill towards the project for management rights (this should be done for every new or renovated stadium from now on).

flippikat

Bench
Here's something a bit left-field.

One of the Hutt City councillors is talking about upgrading the Hutt Recreation Ground into a boutique stadium.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-pos...061926/Bid-to-make-Hutt-Rec-a-regional-ground

For those unfamiliar with the area, Hutt City (aka Lower Hutt) is situated just north of Wellington.

While it's just a rough idea at the moment, I must admit I like the idea of the Greater Wellington area having a rectangular stadium with a smaller capacity than Westpac Stadium.

Cricket has the Basin Reserve (capacity 13,000) for tests & some provincial matches, and Westpac Stadium (36,000) for bigger games.

A 20,000-seat purpose-built rectangular stadium could be just the ticket for making a Wellington NRL team happen - especially if the games are shared between Westpac & Hutt.

user_nat

Coach
Only problem I see is will it have astronomical ticketing like we see at skilled park? Also the NRL and cowboys should be seeking management rights
Cowboys and Titans ticket prices aren't hugely different currently for comparable seats.
The main difference is the much cheaper GA tickets. Which I can't imagine staying low in a ground without a hill.

bobmar28

Bench
Cowboys and Titans ticket prices aren't hugely different currently for comparable seats.
The main difference is the much cheaper GA tickets. Which I can't imagine staying low in a ground without a hill.

G A Tickets for Bulldogs games can be bought for as little as $20 in ANZ stadium.

beave

Coach
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2013/08/21/387661_news.html

Benefits dwarf cost of superstadium

BUILDING a superstadium and convention centre in the CBD has potential to inject $540 million into the North Queensland economy and create 700 jobs.

Economic analysis by AEC Group found the $300 million cost of building the superstadium would be complemented by the economic benefits delivered to Townsville and the region by completing the project.

During construction, the superstadium would create 700 full-time jobs and directly inject $68 million into the Townsville economy - in the forms of wages and invoices to businesses involved in the project.

After the project was completed, the stadium would provide long-term employment for 280 workers to cater for major sporting events, cultural shows, concerts, international conferences and trade shows.

The region would receive a flow-on benefit of $540 million from the superstadium due to increased spending and economic activity associated with the project.

AEC Group principal economist Carey Ramm said the superstadium project was needed to boost confidence during tough times.

"The region is being hit hard by the mining slowdown and many residents and businesses are doing it tough," he said.

"The closure of the copper refinery in 2016 will be another major hit.

"The construction of the superstadium will occur at just the right time to offset the impact of the refinery closure.

"It will help us rebalance the regional economy from the mining slowdown."

Mr Ramm said Brisbane and Canberra must deliver for North Queensland.

"State and federal governments have been funding these projects around Australia for the last decade and we have been making do with second rate and run-down facilities," he said.

"It is now time for government to invest in this essential community infrastructure and improve living standards in the North.

"A world-class convention centre might also be the catalyst for international flights back into Townsville."

The superstadium could also help boost property values in nearby suburbs.

CBD Taskforce chairman Craig Stack said the value of real estate in inner-city suburbs would likely increase if the superstadium was built.

"Having a brand new facility like that will drive up demand in areas surrounding the stadium," he said.

"It will attract a whole lot of other businesses like bars, restaurants, retail outlets and cafes. They are the sorts of things that improve the lifestyle in an area surrounding a stadium and make it attractive to live there."

Timbo

Staff member
Here's something a bit left-field.

One of the Hutt City councillors is talking about upgrading the Hutt Recreation Ground into a boutique stadium.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-pos...061926/Bid-to-make-Hutt-Rec-a-regional-ground

For those unfamiliar with the area, Hutt City (aka Lower Hutt) is situated just north of Wellington.

While it's just a rough idea at the moment, I must admit I like the idea of the Greater Wellington area having a rectangular stadium with a smaller capacity than Westpac Stadium.

Cricket has the Basin Reserve (capacity 13,000) for tests & some provincial matches, and Westpac Stadium (36,000) for bigger games.

A 20,000-seat purpose-built rectangular stadium could be just the ticket for making a Wellington NRL team happen - especially if the games are shared between Westpac & Hutt.

He's talking about a 10,000 seat stadium for NRL though, which is insufficient.

I like the idea but it'd need to be 20-25,000 at which point they may as well just use Westpac.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surely any Wellington NRL club would have to use Westpac? You'd be mad not to given the facilities there. You would hope they would be aiming for a 20k crowd as a regular occurence or it probably wouldn't be viable anyway.

flippikat

Bench
Surely any Wellington NRL club would have to use Westpac? You'd be mad not to given the facilities there. You would hope they would be aiming for a 20k crowd as a regular occurence or it probably wouldn't be viable anyway.

I think the problem might be scheduling - trying to fit all the other sports, trade shows & concerts along with 12 NRL home games - having a secondary ground would be a plus (unless some of the Wellington team's games are shared out to Palmerston North, Napier or New Plymouth as part of a wider regional approach).

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I think the problem might be scheduling - trying to fit all the other sports, trade shows & concerts along with 12 NRL home games - having a secondary ground would be a plus (unless some of the Wellington team's games are shared out to Palmerston North, Napier or New Plymouth as part of a wider regional approach).

Yes, the super rugby sides represent regions or rather a collection of local unions. They take games to the major centres they represent so i think it would be a good idea for any perspective Wellington NRL bid to try and engage as many people/places as possible

smithie

Juniors
Stadium support but no funds pledge yet

THE Opposition has pledged $42 million to increase tropical health research at James Cook University as part of its vision to transform northern Australia into an economic powerhouse.

Opposition Finance spokesman Andrew Robb is set to announce the funding boost at this morning's Townsville Bulletin business breakfast.

But the architect of the Coalition's grand plan to develop norther Australia will face pressure from the Townsville community to also commit funding to the $300 million superstadium and convention centre proposal in the CBD.

Mr Robb said increasing funding for the Australian Institute of Tropical Health and Medicine at JCU was part of the Coalition's plans to develop the North.

"It's building on one of our strengths in the area of tropical medicine and health research," he said.

The Coalition's plans to develop northern Australia also include building better sporting and community infrastructure in regional cities.

Mr Robb said he supported the superstadium but stopped short of commi- tting funds to the $300 million project.

"I have no doubt the stadium will go ahead but it's probably something that will happen in the medium term," he said.

"It is definitely on our radar and the type of project we would be interested in supporting to ensure people in northern Australia have the best sporting and community facilities to improve the lifestyle.

"When we get the economy on an even keel and have some of those major (mining) projects (in the northwest minerals province) going ahead then the stadium will become a reality."

The $300 million super- stadium and convention centre project would create 700 jobs and be the only world-class sporting facility in northern Australia.

An incoming Coalition government would only have to find $150 million over four years to fund half the project in conjunction with the State Government.

During the first year of the project the Federal Government would only have to spend $15 million before putting up $35 million in the second year and two $50 million commitments in the final two years of the project.

AEC Group economist Thor Lyster said the superstadium project would create employment in sectors hammered by the downturn in mining.

"Building the super- stadium would employ construction workers, engineers and projects managers, all of which have suffered because of the decrease in construction associated with the slowdown in the mining and resources sector," he said.

"The stadium is a great project to rebalance Townsville's economy and create jobs that have been lost because of the end of the mining boom."

Mr Lyster said federal politicians were focused on the business case for the use of the superstadium.

"It would be up to the State Government (through Stadiums Queensland) to manage any new facility and they will have to spend $100 million anyway to redevelop 1300 SMILES Stadium, so the financial case starts making a lot of sense when you factor that into the equation," he said.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2013/08/22/387739_news.html

Timbo

Staff member

Doesn't effect the SFS, Suncorp, AAMI or ANZ, all of whom have to juggle multiple tennants.

Just requires a brief chat before the draws come out to make sure each club gets a deal which is fair to them.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Doesn't effect the SFS, Suncorp, AAMI or ANZ, all of whom have to juggle multiple tennants.

Just requires a brief chat before the draws come out to make sure each club gets a deal which is fair to them.

Westpac has limitations on the number of night games allowed to be played there per year too. However that could be avoided by mainly scheduling home games for Sunday arvo or Saturday twilight, both of which would suit the Wellington climate better anyway. Plus as others have said a few games per year could/should go to the regional centres, Palmerston North, Napier, New Plymouth and possibly Taupo.

And of course if they went the "southern" franchise route with a Wellington/Christchurch split it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Sydney-Train-Map.gif

I was just randomly looking at this, and i only just noticed how many different lines run to Liverpool.

Liverpool has got to be the new West Sydney stadium. It would be perfect for the Tigers; a straight line from Macarther and Campbeltown, but its still accessable to the rest of sydney (unlike the Cambletown clusterfu*ckery).

Its got a line straight from Blacktown and Parramatta, so Parra can use it for their major games.

Its probably in a better place for the Bulldogs than ANZ is.

And its got several different lines running to central, just for the randomly placed fans to get to games.

It is the most accessable sight possible for the proposed stadium. Really, if Liverpool doesnt get it, they better have a f**king good reason. Like the Taj Mahal of stadiums in a f**king parrallel universe that is always only 5 minutes away from everywhere.

Last edited:

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Yeah Liverpool does look like a good location when going off a cityrail map. For Western Sydney it is definitely the most central area for a stadium.

Campbelltown still has a lot going for it though, considering the stadium site is located right next to the train station, with plenty of room for future expansion. Campbelltown is also much faster to get to than Liverpool when coming from the city, south or north shore.

Given that a new stadium will be for Western Sydney Clubs though Liverpool would be a winner. I can only see the Bulldogs and Tigers being interested though.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yeah Liverpool does look like a good location when going off a cityrail map. For Western Sydney it is definitely the most central area for a stadium.

Campbelltown still has a lot going for it though, considering the stadium site is located right next to the train station, with plenty of room for future expansion. Campbelltown is also much faster to get to than Liverpool when coming from the city, south or north shore.

Really? I was under the impession you had to go through Liverpool to get to Campbelltown.

Given that a new stadium will be for Western Sydney Clubs though Liverpool would be a winner. I can only see the Bulldogs and Tigers being interested though./QUOTE]

I think thats probably the best any stadium could hope for. Bulldogs would be selling it out pretty soon and it would solve the clusterf*ck that is Wests Tigers stadium policy.

I imagine Parramatta would at least be interested in taking a few games there instead of ANZ though, or even Parra stadium just as bargaining power for a better deals.

Latest posts