What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

do voluntary tackles still exist?

Simo

First Grade
Just thoroughly enjoyed the warriors titans game but was wondering if the voluntary tackle rule still exists as friend must have been damn close on the bell if it is still around

simostorm

Bench
First of all.. High five for having the same name as me.. and a double high five for rocking the He man figurine as your pic. "by the power of grey skull He-Man!!" haha awesome.. good times..

As for the tackle.. well.. I dunno.

no name

Coach
Voluntary tackles have gone the same way as raking from marker, hooking in the scrum and correct use of the sin bin.

Packy

Bench
He was happy to continue running (crawling), He just didn't want any chance of a strip IMO.

Loudstrat

Coach
Answer - no. There is a classic forward play that is voluntary tackle. Forward hits up in two two defenders, bounces off them and then dives at the legs - thus landing on their stomach ready for a quick play the ball. Its a clever tactic but I hate the cheating aspect of it.

some11

Referee
How about defenders just stand there and point at him, forcing the ref to penalise it.

That would look pretty funny actually.

Diesel

Coach
The last one I remember was Cliffy Lyons in a semi final in 1993, I've often wondered if they are still around

Simo

First Grade
First of all.. High five for having the same name as me.. and a double high five for rocking the He man figurine as your pic. "by the power of grey skull He-Man!!" haha awesome.. good times..

As for the tackle.. well.. I dunno.

Lol how I met your mother style high 5 simo brother!

Whilst the actual play may be questionable I am curious if the rule is still in the play book or has it gone? Unfortunately I don't understand half the rules in the game ive known for 30 years anymore!

Friend did about 3 but kept crawling after he stopped til someone touched him. Prob as someone suggested if the titans had of pointed and screamed may have got penalty. Got done back in the day in same situation nearly cost my side the game! Copped it at full time!

LeagueNut

First Grade
I think it can only be penalised as a voluntary tackle if the player actually plays the ball without a tackle having been made.

Meth

Staff member
Nothing really wrong with what Friend did by the letter of the law.

Sugar

Bench
This rule along with penalised for walking off the mark have been placed into another catergory.
Refs will only enforce these rules when they feel like it.
Not when it happens as it happens every game.

In 2014 a memo will be sent to all clubs stating Refs will be coming down hard on these infringements for the season, then 2 weeks into the season they will be forgotten about until a ref feels like pulling one up.

Simo

First Grade
I think it can only be penalised as a voluntary tackle if the player actually plays the ball without a tackle having been made.

Unless they changed the rule you don't have to play the ball just go to ground without defenders touching you.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Just checked the NRL website.

Voluntary tackle
A player in possession shall not deliberately and unnecessarily allow himself to be tackled by voluntarily falling to the ground when not held by an opponent. If a player drops on a loose ball he shall not remain on the ground waiting to be tackled if he has time to regain his feet and continue play.

http://www.playrugbyleague.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/International-Laws-of-the-Game.pdf

Wow - that should be penalised twenty times each round then!

davi

Juniors
Gus Gould angry about the frequency of voluntary tackles. Gould was asked on a podcast why refs don't call it he suggested that he didn't know then he suggested the refs are afraid to make a mistake so they swallow their whistle. It seems there has been a code and convention for refs not to blow there whistle on it for the last 30 years and refs wanting to be consistent continue not to penalize teams for it.

"
Flops must go
"One of the really annoying things that seems to be happening with greater regularity is players falling on the ground in voluntary tackles making absolutely no attempt to get up and play on. It's happening a lot. A player falls on a loose ball and refuses to get up and run, or a fullback dives from the in-goal back into the field of play and lies motionless on the ground, or a player runs behind a teammate and rather than give a penalty away for obstruction stands still or flops to the ground to allow the defenders to put a hand on him and complete the tackle. If a player is just going to lay there and not attempt to compete any further, then it should be a free hit to defenders to either tackle him hard and maybe force the ball loose, or drive him over the sideline or back into the in-goal to get an advantage. But the moment the defence tries to do anything forcibly with the man playing dead, the defenders are penalised by the referees. All advantages going with the man who refuses to play on. Am I missing something here? It's very frustrating."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...to-be-player-of-the-year-20170313-guxggc.html