What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart quits Parramatta Eels for Canberra Raiders job

Loudstrat

Coach
Bringing up the Glover spills? Really? First of all, one of them was a bad pass from Moran. Secondly, it was the back end of a tight GF for the clubs first ever premiership in their first ever grand final. Thirdly, Parra were not up 18-6 with 10 to go. Fourth, Glover was onside, not the 2m in front than Cariage was. Fifth, Glover played for Australia.

Parra lost too many big games because of the unconfident mindset Smith had them in. We should have made the GF in 98-99-00 and been premiers in probably 2 of those years, as well as 05. Smith's abilities were seen in the biggest first half GF massacre ever in 2001.

Avenger

Immortal
Bringing up the Glover spills? Really? First of all, one of them was a bad pass from Moran. Secondly, it was the back end of a tight GF for the clubs first ever premiership in their first ever grand final. Thirdly, Parra were not up 18-6 with 10 to go. Fourth, Glover was onside, not the 2m in front than Cariage was. Fifth, Glover played for Australia.

Parra lost too many big games because of the unconfident mindset Smith had them in. We should have made the GF in 98-99-00 and been premiers in probably 2 of those years, as well as 05. Smith's abilities were seen in the biggest first half GF massacre ever in 2001.

Brian Smith is the second best coach we have ever had. To suggest anything else is a nonsense.

Loudstrat

Coach
Nonesense is to suggest that Brian Smith was better than Terry Fearnley (2 very narrow GF losses and 2 semi finals, and the signatures of Price, Cronin and Sterling), Norm Provan (taking wooden spooners to the finals after winning 3 sudden death games in 7 days), and Ken Kearney (our only 3 semi finals sides in our first 27 years).

Joely01

Bench
People who are quick to come on here and bag Ricky need to sit back take a few breathes and look at how the club was run the last few years, its here you will get your answers to how/why the 2013 season has become what it has.

This all started back when the club sacked DA, we sacked a coach who got us to a Grand Final a season and a bit before the sacking, I cant remember the last time a coach was sacked that close after reaching a GrandFinal.

We then went out and decided SK was the next greatest thing for our club and from early on (well for me anyway) it wasn't going to work. In his first season incharge of recruitment he went out and signed players at the end of their careers, players like Webb, Hicks, Walker. To me it looked like panic signings, and not decisions of that of a NRL quality head coach. We had the perfect opportunity to make 2011 the year to have a young team and get rid of dead wood. Now SK decided to play it safe and made the wrong decision for the club moving forward.
Now not only that but he decided to resign some players on big contracts both year wise and money wise that again put our club behind AGAIN!

Then the club brings in Ricky, now he came onboard far too late to have a crack at any half decent players for our squad for 2013, and also due to some contracts players were on didn't have the money we should have had to play with. So he decided to stick out 2013 with some dead wood, and bring in as many younger players as he could (keep in mind the 2nd tier cap) We have seen some real bright lights make their debuts for our club this year, Kelepi, Tangino and Kaysa, these are the building blocks towards the future of our club.
The start of the season Ricky HAD Izzy signed sealed delivered, only for Scumbert to say no.
Ricky then has both Matthew Scott and James Tamou a step before signing a contract only for loyalty to come into play for both players to stay at the Cowboys. Im not even going to start on the Papalli mess.
Since Ricky has signed some great talent and a key to this is age, a lot of youth, if you can see what he has done this year he has thought about the Future of OUR club. The cleanout had to happen and we need to start from square one again, he finally had the balls to do it.

We have had a very bad run this year in regards to injury (not a huge toll like the tigers) but of the quality that has been injured. Hayne has missed almost half the season, Sandow has had his problems, Loko has been missing, Tonga for most. We don't have the quality depth though to replace key injuries thanks to past management.

I really hope Ricky stays, I truly believe what he has done so far for this club is exactly what we have needed done for about 3 years. The talk around the club is 2014 is the start of the climb and then 2015 we are real contenders.

Start buying into this Fans and support the changes Ricky has made because this club is almost past this mess we were left in, the future is starting to look bright and we are about to become a force once again.

(probably forget to mention some things, will add to this later)

Eelogical

Referee
It's all bullshit and past history! I was there when the grandstand was torched...who gives a f**k? Hindsight is a beneficial tool, especially to those who know the future. We paid for Ricky and he should see out his term.......simples.

Ratchy

Juniors
Brian Smith is the second best coach we have ever had. To suggest anything else is a nonsense.

Record wise your right but at the end of the day the players don't want to play for a coach like Brian Smith these days. Players run the joints as has been shown over the last couple of years by coaches being sacked.

Eelogical

Referee
Record wise your right but at the end of the day the players don't want to play for a coach like Brian Smith these days. Players run the joints as has been shown over the last couple of years by coaches being sacked.

Teams doing well don't run the show.....the coach does.

Eelogical

Referee
Winning coaches command all. Bellamy, Bennett and Des wont take shit from any player. All their rosters know that.

Ratchy

Juniors
Bennett is far from a disciplinarian and the other 2 are great people managers. Smith has none of that which his record speaks for players disliking him. You can deny it all you want players run clubs this days not the coaches. If the players don't like the coach he will be punted!!!

Eelogical

Referee
Bennett is far from a disciplinarian and the other 2 are great people managers. Smith has none of that which his record speaks for players disliking him. You can deny it all you want players run clubs this days not the coaches. If the players don't like the coach he will be punted!!!
I am not in denial. But, let's say for arguments sake Bellamy came to the Eels and had "difference of opinion" with Hayne. One or the other. Players will only hold the upper hand if the coach is shit IMO.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I am not in denial. But, let's say for arguments sake Bellamy came to the Eels and had "difference of opinion" with Hayne. One or the other. Players will only hold the upper hand if the coach is shit IMO.

Often it is not "one or the other" and more like 6 or more senior players or the coach.

bartman

Immortal
People who are quick to come on here and bag Ricky need to sit back take a few breathes and look at how the club was run the last few years, its here you will get your answers to how/why the 2013 season has become what it has.
Amen.

But I'm betting that's really hard to see/admit for people here that heavily bought into all the Osborne, Kearney or 3P/Spagnolo hype.... That's why imo this forum (as compared to others with larger memberships) has a very "unique" view on what is to blame for our current situation, and what we should or shouldn't do about it.

natheel

Coach
Well Stuart had the chance to knock the Raiders rumuors on the head with the press conference. He said "no" when asked had he had contact with the Raiders, but he didnt give you confidence that he was committed to Parra for next year.

I dont think I expect him to be here next year now.

He was shitty after that game and he doesn't need to say anything else more than no and he also went on to say he has a job to do here. That's all he needs to say for me.

He will be here. Canberra have also come out and rubbished the story too.

Its all media beat up. If he leaves it'll depend on how we go next year and it'll be the board that let's him go. I think he will be at eels for the duration of his contract

Ratchy

Juniors

Bellamy is nothing like Brian Smith he is a great man manager as well. I've heard numerous times Cam Smith, Slater and Cronk etc talk about he is like a father figure to them something I've never heard or seen from any player Smith has coached. If you wanna compare Smith to another coach try the Wok who both eat live and sleep football and expect their players do the same with little compassion for those who don't.

I can almost guarantee you if Smith coached at the club another captain/fullback would be needed as the current one would leave. Then could you imagine the uproar on this joint.

broncos2010

Juniors
More potential player wise at the raiders but he wont go unless he is forced by the eels.

The raiders have so much talent in the team but just cant string it together,then you look at the under 20s program they have as well ozzing out so much talent as well.

Latest posts