What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assess our chances for the 8.

GongPanther

Referee
If we beat the dogs next week...and Manly are already safe for the top four,does anyone think there is a remote chance that Manly will rest players when they play against us in the final round to sneak into the eight?

Next week Manly play the Storm and I'm tipping that this game will have a few players battered and bruised in the aftermath and will need to rest them for he first finals series.

Our real only obstacle is that the Knights can pip us to the post if they win next week (Rnd 25) given they will be playing Parra in the final round.

Thoughts....and expectations.

Last edited:

PinkPanther

Juniors
I think we won't make it. I think we are 50/50 chance of beating dogs, but Manly will beat us.
I'm predicting that we will finish off 11th.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes. I think Manly will rest players given they are assured a top 4 spot & have a few niggles.

No we wont make it. Losing twice to NQ, Tigers & Newcastle will cost.

Though that aside our for game losing streak we scored 30 and had 136 against. That wrecked our for & against now we need to many teams to lose.

Though never say never.

murraymob

Coach
we will make the 8

Sir Gus will stand before the troops and deliver a spell binding speech .The men will rally be inspired and march through the dogs

rem286

Juniors
I think we will finish 11th also, just cant see anymore wins for us, just banking on Titians copping a couple of floggings that will drop them below us on for and against.

Then again, its sport, anything can happen.

maple_69

Bench
Chances are we only win one more game taking us to 26.
Titans are done with two floggings coming up.
Raiders are shot ducks.
Brisbane will be lucky to win one more.
Knights will beat the Eels.
Warriors are a wild card given inconsistency but I see them winning their last two.
Cowboys win at least R26 taking them past us on fa.

Based on that 2 of Newcastle, NZ and NQLD will take the final places and we'll be 10th if we beat the Dogs.

We win that game and who knows. Put the other teams under pressure and they might cave.

Graftonpanther

Juniors
I think we will beat the Dogs, but unless Manly rest a couple I can't see us beating them at Brookvale. Been a good season anyway considering injuries, playing personnel etc.

franklin2323

Immortal
Been a good season anyway considering injuries, playing personnel etc.

I don't & can't blame injuries as we had enough key players stay on the park. When we finally moved Whare we improved. Walsh. Kingston, Seg. John (since being picked), Whare all haven't been injured.

Ultimately it's a few performances that stuffed us. Losing 2 to 13th placed Tigers. Losing twice to Newcastle (who we are fighting for 8th). Though the thing that stuffed us most were the 30-0 & 36-6. Even closer loses would have us in the 8.

Pomoz

Bench
I don't & can't blame injuries as we had enough key players stay on the park. When we finally moved Whare we improved. Walsh. Kingston, Seg. John (since being picked), Whare all haven't been injured.

Ultimately it's a few performances that stuffed us. Losing 2 to 13th placed Tigers. Losing twice to Newcastle (who we are fighting for 8th). Though the thing that stuffed us most were the 30-0 & 36-6. Even closer loses would have us in the 8.
I am also of the view that you have to cope with injuries and not make excuses. Furthermore, if you have a roster of players that get injured all the time (like Coote) then you look to change the players and get more robust players. Even if they are less skilful, they are no good to anyone when they are not playing. Unfortunately, using my logic, Coote would be gone.

That said, can you point to where a club has had two broken necks in one season? We had 8 first graders out at one point. Mckendry, Manu, Plum, Docker, Tighe, Coote, Latimore, and Mansour. Seven of those were starters! Take seven players out of any starting team in the NRL including the Roosters, Storm and Souths and they will struggle.

I think this year would have to be the worst we have ever had with injuries and just this once I am prepared to cut them some slack.

age.s

First Grade
I think it'll come down to f/a which is a real shame. A few big wins put us in a good position in that regard and if we had stuck with those few games it might be different. I've been harping on about the Tigers losses to a (Tigers fan) mate of mine for months now so I'm sick of talking about it lol.

Really hope we sneak in. We're obviously no real chance of long run but some big game experience would be invaluable for the squad.

franklin2323

Immortal
I am also of the view that you have to cope with injuries and not make excuses. Furthermore, if you have a roster of players that get injured all the time (like Coote) then you look to change the players and get more robust players. Even if they are less skilful, they are no good to anyone when they are not playing. Unfortunately, using my logic, Coote would be gone.

That said, can you point to where a club has had two broken necks in one season? We had 8 first graders out at one point. Mckendry, Manu, Plum, Docker, Tighe, Coote, Latimore, and Mansour. Seven of those were starters! Take seven players out of any starting team in the NRL including the Roosters, Storm and Souths and they will struggle.

I think this year would have to be the worst we have ever had with injuries and just this once I am prepared to cut them some slack.

Of course our injuries were bad though we had a squad of 30 or so without real stars. We were 4 deep in props for starters same with backrow. No centres, established fullback or even much half depth

We have been fortunate that we have no halves or hooker depth and been able to pick the same players week in week out for that.

like we have had

4. Whare
5. Simmons
6. John
7. Walsh
9. Kingston
14. Segeyaro

Since round 7. Like we lost Plum and could call on 40 odd FG gamer Latimore. So yes injures while being a pain we have been fine in key positions.

F/A and losses against average teams will be our downfall. Still better then last year and I said early on 10 wins should be the aim and we got that.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think it'll come down to f/a which is a real shame. A few big wins put us in a good position in that regard and if we had stuck with those few games it might be different. I've been harping on about the Tigers losses to a (Tigers fan) mate of mine for months now so I'm sick of talking about it lol.

Really hope we sneak in. We're obviously no real chance of long run but some big game experience would be invaluable for the squad.

Yep. Cowboys for example 30-0 and 30-6 losses is pretty much the difference between us in for and against

Panther Pete

Juniors
I am pretty sure on the news last night they said the dogs will be missing Barba, Pritchard and Kasiano so if the boys can pump we will def give them a run.

Doomednow

Bench
I remember at the start of the year everyone had picked us for 16th. I'm just pumped we managed some big wins over the Eels and Warriors and beat some teams like the Storm who were expecting to crush us. The best part is next year should see more improvement.

Top 8 or no we've seen definite improvement this year and we should at least acknowledge that.

betcats

Referee
Yeah it is a good effort for us to even have a slight chance at finals footy after the injuries we've faced.

Damn those two losses to the tigers hurt.

ACTPanthers

Bench
The fact we're even in with a fighting chance is MASSIVE improvement to last season - With some more luck with injuries and some decent players coming into the fold I expect a comfortable 8 spot next season

Latest posts