What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2012/13 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The point is they're going to create space for private individuals to provide the services they are going to CUT. So whatever handouts Labor had promised will now be provided more efficiently by people who care about efficiency. Not by government bureaucracy.

That's the meaning of small government; it's not Mr Uncharismatic promising all the unaffordable shit that 'Selfie' Rudd claims he'll give us. Abbott is saying Government can no longer afford a massive welfare state.

The experience in Europe says he's right.

strider

Post Whore
The point is they're going to create space for private individuals to provide the services they are going to CUT. So whatever handouts Labor had promised will now be provided more efficiently by people who care about efficiency. Not by government bureaucracy.

That's the meaning of small government; it's not Mr Uncharismatic promising all the unaffordable shit that 'Selfie' Rudd claims he'll give us. Abbott is saying Government can no longer afford a massive welfare state.

sums it up pretty well :lol:

Is the Internet on computers these days?

Na, it's on our fridges.

I'm still coming to terms with the fact that that total f**king f**kwit abbot is going to be our pm. Can't wait to see the f**king deadshit represent oz on the international stage. Maybe he'll take his daughters with him and point out how good looking they are. Sweet.

Which bits of welfare is he proposing to cut? The Libs have the primary driver of middle class welfare, and they're not (thus far) showing any signs of switching that crap off. But, of course, as long as it isn't called the dole it's not welfare.

What does it mean to 'create space for private individuals to provide the services they are going to cut'? We've done this before, part of it works, part of it doesn't and a few connected people make a shitload of money from the government. Actually, in the late 90s, it made me quite a bit of money (not because I was connected) but it was a complete joke....aimed at ideological objectives rather than efficiency by any measure.

The Europe analogy is a bit weird mate. We have one of the lowest tax burdens in the world. Neither party's policies approximate those of the European basket cases.

Suitman

Post Whore
Joseph Paulo just commended Kearney for encouraging him to play his natural ball game. I've always thought this was the stronger point to his game.
Seph reminds me of a young Sutton.

Suity

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Which bits of welfare is he proposing to cut?

All the criticism is that Abbott is going to CUT, CUT, CUT. This is why Rudd has been hounding him for his policies for so long.

"Abbott is going to take shit off you!!!" It's all Labor have got. Also, apparently Abbott hates women.

The Libs have the primary driver of middle class welfare, and they're not (thus far) showing any signs of switching that crap off. But, of course, as long as it isn't called the dole it's not welfare.

If it's intended to promote behaviour beneficial to the country (e.g. having children, saving for your retirement) then it's not welfare. It's incentive.

The dole is incentive to do f**k all. That's the kind of welfare that hurts everyone.

That said, the dole is necessary if only to reduce crime.

As for middle class welfare, the popular whinge among regressives is that conservative policy destroys the middle class. So why then is 'middle class welfare' allegedly aimed at rewarding them?

What does it mean to 'create space for private individuals to provide the services they are going to cut'? We've done this before, part of it works, part of it doesn't and a few connected people make a shitload of money from the government. Actually, in the late 90s, it made me quite a bit of money (not because I was connected) but it was a complete joke....aimed at ideological objectives rather than efficiency by any measure.

Enterprising people will always benefit from a change in policy. I have friends making a shitload of cash from a certain green policy introduced by the current government. Who says there's no such thing as the climate change industry?

I just wish I could get my hands on some of that human rights money.

The Europe analogy is a bit weird mate. We have one of the lowest tax burdens in the world. Neither party's policies approximate those of the European basket cases.

Given that everything lies on one continuum or another, comparisons are always valid.

European states are in trouble because they have enshrined in law certain benefits to their populations that are only sustainable when certain demographic ratios are maintained.

Obviously no merkin has the right to dictate the maintenance of demographic ratios, but that didn't stop successive European governments continuing to buy votes with the contents of some nebulous future public purse.

To a lesser degree that has happened (and is happening still) here in Australia. And as regressives used to smugly point out, we were always a bit behind Europe.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Na, it's on our fridges.

I'm still coming to terms with the fact that that total f**king f**kwit abbot is going to be our pm. Can't wait to see the f**king deadshit represent oz on the international stage. Maybe he'll take his daughters with him and point out how good looking they are. Sweet.
:lol: this is exactly the way i feel as well, i'm not much of a rudd fan but i hate that big eared cretin with a passion.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we just need to get this thread to 3000 posts and it will auto lock and then we can start up the new one so whore it up

Gronk

Staff member
I'll be glad when all this electioneering is behind us.

Hopefully our economy will be resilient enough to survive an Abbott led government. History will show that he will be the Stephen Kearney of Australian politics. Hope the LNP don't put up with him for too long and parachute in Malcolm Turnbull within 12 months.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If the economy can handle six years of Labor it will thrive under anyone put forward by the LNP.

The party leader only matters on election day. Because so many voters still insist on a popularity contest.

Gronk

Staff member
If the economy can handle six years of Labor it will thrive under anyone put forward by the LNP.

The party leader only matters on election day. Because so many voters still insist on a popularity contest.

Bullshit. You think that the LNP policies would not take a radical shift if Turnbull took over from the Mad Monk ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bullshit. You think that the LNP policies would not take a radical shift if Turnbull took over from the Mad Monk ?

No I don't. Party leaders are representative, not f**king dictators. They are there at the whim of the voters and their parties.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
No I don't. Party leaders are representative, not f**king dictators. They are there at the whim of the voters and their parties.

The LNP PPL was purely a policy thought up by Abbott and his inner circle to soften his image among female voters . The majority of the LNP and Nats don't like it but Abbott got what he wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts