What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill Williams

NRL should be bendin over with a blank cheque

• Total voters

magpie4ever

First Grade
Hayne.

up to the club...you had Benji...

As long as each can pay whom they call marque.

Marquee - I don't think so.

It doesn't work - club's with billionaire supporters get whom they want and the others just make up the numbers.

Look SBW is a very good footballer (in the modern game) but he is not the best I've seen. It will be his and easts choice whether he stays or goes. if Easts pay him what he wants (or people believe he derserves) , so be it; but, to do that (and it's their choice) they will need to cull severely from their playing roster to stay within the cap.

If not, clubs will overspend (in an attempt to compete) and fall.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
but but but because my team cant pay or recruit players like SBW no other team should have that option :lol:

You have no idea how many clubs are broke.

Guess what SBW has a shelf life, so when he goes what then. Shit, we forget to promote the juniors and others (nyc, reserve grade etc) in the game - we have no one the replace said marquee players.

The standard of the game has dropped already, to spend big on one player per club will see the standard continue to drop. Marquee allowances don't work.

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
Marque players at each club (my opinion)

Brisbane Broncos - Justin Hodges
Canberra Raiders - Blake Ferguson (now sacked)
Canterbury Bulldogs - Ben Barba (Off to Brisbane)
Cronulla Sharks - Paul Gallen
Gold Coast Titans - Nate Myles/Greg Bird
Manly Sea Eagles - Brett Stewart
Melbourne Storm - Cameron Smith/Billy Slater/Cooper Cronk
Newcastle Knights - Darius Boyd
New Zealand Warriors - Shaun Johnson
North Queensland Cowboys - Johnathon Thurston
Parramatta Eels - Jarryd Hayne/Will Hopoate (2014)
Penrith Panthers - Jamie Soward (2014)
St George Illawarra Dragons - Josh Dugan
South Sydney Rabbitohs - Greg Inglis
Sydney Roosters - Sonny Bill Williams
Wests Tigers - Robbie Farah

magpie4ever

First Grade
Marque players at each club (my opinion)

Brisbane Broncos - Justin Hodges
Canberra Raiders - Blake Ferguson (now sacked)
Canterbury Bulldogs - Ben Barba (Off to Brisbane)
Cronulla Sharks - Paul Gallen
Gold Coast Titans - Nate Myles/Greg Bird
Manly Sea Eagles - Brett Stewart
Melbourne Storm - Cameron Smith/Billy Slater/Cooper Cronk
Newcastle Knights - Darius Boyd
New Zealand Warriors - Shaun Johnson
North Queensland Cowboys - Johnathon Thurston
Parramatta Eels - Jarryd Hayne/Will Hopoate (2014)
Penrith Panthers - Jamie Soward (2014)
St George Illawarra Dragons - Josh Dugan
South Sydney Rabbitohs - Greg Inglis
Sydney Roosters - Sonny Bill Williams
Wests Tigers - Robbie Farah

Nath, I don't believe that all of the list would be considered marquee; just the best at their club/s.

Take Melbourne, 3 marquee players listed - well there can be one one under the allowance, so two go. Say one to Parramatta and one to Wests; so, now Hayne and Farah are pissed off because they're not considered marquee; so they leave for another club as marquee players and their once top player is now pissed off.

It doesn't bloody work, and would see clubs fall by the wayside.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Lol 2005, priceless.

Not his fault, the following years, he had no prince to help.

If he left 2007, you would have been filthy.

Anyways, do I think thier are outstanding players, yes.

adamkungl

Immortal
Nath, I don't believe that all of the list would be considered marquee; just the best at their club/s.

Take Melbourne, 3 marquee players listed - well there can be one one under the allowance, so two go. Say one to Parramatta and one to Wests; so, now Hayne and Farah are pissed off because they're not considered marquee; so they leave for another club as marquee players and their once top player is now pissed off.

It doesn't bloody work, and would see clubs fall by the wayside.

Not surprised that a magpies fan has about as much vision for the game as Ben Roberts does for playmaking.

They'll be back one day champ...

adamkungl

Immortal
For what it's worth, the same things can be achieved by simply continuing to raise the cap, and loosening the laughable restrictions which seem to be at the sole discretion of Mr Schubert.

Suggested measures are only necessary if the cap restricts players to values well below what Union is paying. And since the new TV deal, I don't think this will be a major issue for some time. Sure France and Japan may pay slightly better, but few players in their prime really want to take that option just for a better payday.

SBW staying at the Roosters will have nothing to do with cap constraints. If we fit him in this year I'm sure we'll have no trouble next year.

If he wants to go back and play Union for reasons outside of money, so be it. He might be worth a million but paying much more than that to bribe him into staying would over the top, regardless of who pays it.

I'm more interested in avoiding farcical situations like the Folau/Parramatta one earlier this year.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Not surprised that a magpies fan has about as much vision for the game as Ben Roberts does for playmaking.

They'll be back one day champ...

Ok Flea, how does the game progress as a whole with one player per team taking up XYZ% of the funds required to run the whole club per year.

Clubs go broke, the next lot of talent is overlooked etc etc; because the club in only looking inwardly at the present and spending a shitload in attempt to obtain an elusive premiership and, guess what, the marquee player has a finite shelf life. So, when he done and dusted what than (wait there are no more marquee players out there)?

Give me your vision for the overall betterment of the game now and into the future.

magpie4ever

First Grade
For what it's worth, the same things can be achieved by simply continuing to raise the cap, and loosening the laughable restrictions which seem to be at the sole discretion of Mr Schubert.

Suggested measures are only necessary if the cap restricts players to values well below what Union is paying. And since the new TV deal, I don't think this will be a major issue for some time. Sure France and Japan may pay slightly better, but few players in their prime really want to take that option just for a better payday.

SBW staying at the Roosters will have nothing to do with cap constraints. If we fit him in this year I'm sure we'll have no trouble next year.

If he wants to go back and play Union for reasons outside of money, so be it. He might be worth a million but paying much more than that to bribe him into staying would over the top, regardless of who pays it.

I'm more interested in avoiding farcical situations like the Folau/Parramatta one earlier this year.

You'll need to expand on that generic statement.

And to be honest, I believe SBW is at the roosters due to a handshake deal with the godfather; which he decided to honour (not at his market value under the current cap). He will return to NZ union unless he is offered a shitload of dollars which would force the roosters to cull.

adamkungl

Immortal
You'll need to expand on that generic statement.

And to be honest, I believe SBW is at the roosters due to a handshake deal with the godfather; which he decided to honour (not at his market value under the current cap). He will return to NZ union unless he is offered a shitload of dollars which would force the roosters to cull.

I would say that his handshake deal included a rather generous salary. He'd be the highest player at the club for sure.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ok Flea, how does the game progress as a whole with one player per team taking up XYZ% of the funds required to run the whole club per year.

Clubs go broke, the next lot of talent is overlooked etc etc; because the club in only looking inwardly at the present and spending a shitload in attempt to obtain an elusive premiership and, guess what, the marquee player has a finite shelf life. So, when he done and dusted what than (wait there are no more marquee players out there)?

Give me your vision for the overall betterment of the game now and into the future.

Are you suggesting that being allowed to pay one player a few hundred thousand extra outside the cap is going to send clubs broke? In an age where the NRL provides clubs with the funding to pay their entire cap. You're being a drama queen.

NrlCoach

Juniors
You have no idea how many clubs are broke.

Guess what SBW has a shelf life, so when he goes what then. Shit, we forget to promote the juniors and others (nyc, reserve grade etc) in the game - we have no one the replace said marquee players.

The standard of the game has dropped already, to spend big on one player per club will see the standard continue to drop. Marquee allowances don't work.

I don't even know where to start. you say most clubs are broke but whos fault is that. is it the players fault that they cant get their shit together or that they run the clubs on a old bussines plan.

When SBW retires the kids who watched him play and were inspired by him will be taking up his spot. Thanks you SBW :lol: BTW you can use Marquee allowances to recruit some great rugby player

The stander of the game has dropped because most of the good player have gone to other code leaving us with Anaster type of player aka duds :lol: Falou, Sailor, Rogers, Sbw, Tuqiri and many more have went to rugby/super league because we didnt have the money to keep them.

If the like of SBW and Folau stayed in the game not only would the stander be high but they would also be guiding/bringing up the juniors. If a kid see SBW playing rugby league then that kid one day would want to play rugby league instead of rugby.

We cant let our top athlete go to other codes because not only will it effect the standers of the games but it will have effect on Juniors. No kids wants to be/watch Anaster they want to be/watch Benji, SBW, Falou etc

NrlCoach

Juniors
The NRL must understand that when you invest in top athlete like SBW you are also investing in participation and recruitment of Kids. SBW will inspire kids to play rugby league like Benji did with his flick pass in the GF

Meth

Staff member
Sonny is a great talent.

He should pursue what he likes.

I would prefer him to seek challenge than money.

I think he is primarily driven by a challenge. And if he doesn't, so what? That's professional sport.

The anti-SBW dribble on here is hilarious (not aimed at you in any way Mr Angry)

TheDalek079

Bench
SBW is bigger than the game. We must do everything in our power to keep him. If that means that the Bulldogs and souffs both must pay him 500k from their salary caps then it needs to be done